NASA to Launch SpaceX Safety Review Following Elon Musk's Pot Interview

Good god NASA, do what you're fucking supposed to do, which is not harassing competitors for what they do on their own time. Didn't watch the whole clip, but he took one puff from what I saw. And why the fuck do companies need to follow NASA's requirements for workplace safety? At the very most I would say they need to follow safety guidelines for shit that flies into space, not what people do at the company.

I love NASA, but seriously WTF.

It will likely be a big nothing burger. But you have to investigate risk to human life where questionable decisions are made.

If Elon Musk smokes weed has he ever gone to a board meeting high. Was he ever high when presented with a decision like testing, qa, safety, parts budgets? Does his pot friendly attitude also get reflected to his subordinates or engineers?

Elon has to be credited with advancing rocket design. He's done some remarkable stuff. However I don't think you guys realize the risk involved, especially with the SLS. In it's final form the SLS will be more powerful than then Saturn V rocket. And that rocket had the chemical energy equivalent to Hiroshima.

When you are spending hundreds of millions on a launch with human beings lives at risk, you have a due diligence and rule out every risk.

What if a whistle blower prompted this? Let's face it he's been under a lot of pressure lately. And long term pot use has been shown to lower risk inhibition.

Like I said likely a big nothing burger. But if something goes wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
Government contracts. NASA has given money to SpaceX and has contracts with them for engines designs and launches. Government rules are along the lines of someone profiled as a drug user can be compromised easier, that is to spy or turn over secret information. It has nothing to do with steady hands or build quality. It is about information, of which he would have the most access. By him doing this it puts NASA in a tight spot as SpaceX is their subcontractor for the launches. More than willing to bet NASA is under pressure to do this.
You can only be compromised if you care people know.

Didn't this organization lose a one of its spacecraft because some contractor was using the stupid imperial system? What a load. Think someone important has a beef with mr. Musk

LOL, because apparently Elon works in the assembly factory when he is not tweeting stupid shit

Russia would be more than happy to accommodate SpaceX if you don't want to NASA.

You can only be compromised if you care people know.

That actually has nothing to do with it.

And as far as federal government is concerned, he is a law breaker, smoking weed is still illegal, period.

And as far as federal government is concerned, he is a law breaker, smoking weed is still illegal, period.

This is what frightens me. SpaceX is riding a wave of success, they are leading the new-space renaissance, SpaceX gives me hope about the future of space exploration. But they only need one misstep, one failure, or (God forbid) one fatality and I could definitely see someone from Boeing or Lockheed or even Grumman whispering in the ear of their pet congressman that we can't allow people who flaunt federal law launching rockets with US government payloads.

The bad press against two companies that have done so much to advance the idea of US-based American industry staggers me. People still talk about Tesla being unable to compete without receiving 'government handouts' (even on these boards) while failing to acknowledge that the person buying the car receives the tax credit, and that until 2018 GM had sold more cars under the electric vehicle tax credit than Tesla had (and that Nissan, a Japanese company, is in third place, just 7% behind Tesla). Why aren't GM and Nissan under this scrutiny? I'll tell you what I think, it's because US companies feel threatened by the new kid on the block who plans on shaking up their industry.

This feels like Tucker automotive all over again.

There are more interesting experiments to do than have a person go to the moon, or any planet because then you have to bring them back alive.

More data and discoveries are being made with unmanned probes, like the one scheduled to survey europa

When NASA makes discoveries about how the universe functions we all benefit because someone will think of a creative way to use it on earth, for example when you turn too fast on a ramp the concrete is shaped in a way to keep the vehicle in the ramp. That was thought of by NASA to help the rockets land more accurately, and someone used it to prevent a lot of deaths from automobile accidents.

So the fact that there's a lot of misconception that NASA hasn't benefited society because no manned shuttles are being launched is absurd

Government contracts. NASA has given money to SpaceX and has contracts with them for engines designs and launches. Government rules are along the lines of someone profiled as a drug user can be compromised easier, that is to spy or turn over secret information. It has nothing to do with steady hands or build quality. It is about information, of which he would have the most access. By him doing this it puts NASA in a tight spot as SpaceX is their subcontractor for the launches. More than willing to bet NASA is under pressure to do this.

It has nothing to do with Musk. NASA is under pressure because they still can't deliver the SLS while SpaceX already has a reusable heavy lift vehicle (and the BFR in the pipeline). NASA is failing, badly, and considering who's in office right now that's not a position they want to be in.

Maybe NASA employees need to smoke more weed. Maybe then they’d get some useable rockets.

Weed isn’t going to make people hand over classified information.

Nothing personal but I don't want you designing anything that could endanger human lives.

Reactions: kju1
like this
I wanted to say something like this but couldnt find nice words like this. I want more space exploration and progress so bad but NASA is so so shitty without another super power to space race against. They blame budget cuts but yeah... what you said.

OK, I want to keep this real if I can.

I like what I see Elon doing. I think he has made seriously terrific advances in commercial/military satellite deployment development. He's proving what most everyone knows, you want to see something get done, turn a business loose to do it .... for profit.

Not contractors working for a government agency, commercial businesses working for themselves, and their customers who's favor and checks one wishes to earn.

Now the real part, and anyone, if they know better, is certainly invited to explain how I got this all wrong. But is it not a simple case that for the last few decades we just have not been in a technological situation that would allow for anything more than what NASA has been doing? Throwing satellites out there to do what we can't yet do with maned spacecraft, while being limited by what we can do with satellites?

I think NASA is just been trying to stay alive until the day comes when the tech has advanced to a point where they actually can dream to do more. Until then, they content themselves with some satellite launches, etc.

Now perhaps the day has long gone where NASA could be doing more and hasn't, mired in their old thoughts of what they know they need and don't yet have, not yet realizing that those things have snuck up and bit them on the ass already. Or maybe there is still a key development that has to come first and they still can't come out and really move forward.

In all seriousness, and for all his talk, although I admire Elon for his accomplishments, he's really only been improving on existing successes. Great rockets, reusable, it's remarkable. But they are still only able to launch satellites with them, maybe a moon trip for billionaires who have nothing better to spend their money on.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

.....Weed isn’t going to make people hand over classified information.

No, the people blackmailing him are the ones who will force him to hand over classified information.

If this "alleged" report is accurate, and not just BS click-bait, then it is actual proof that there is risk to Elon personally and professionally, for being caught out smoking weed.

If the man has a security clearance he could lose it. That alone might not really hurt SpaceX and their contracts, but it might lead elsewhere. So if this could hurt him, someone could try and use it on him to blackmail him into giving away information. It's up to the man himself if he's weak enough to be blackmailed or strong enough to resist and look for assistance instead of hiding from the watchdogs.

He's got to have the strength and faith to tell a black-mailer "fuck off", and then go tell the security people everything about it.

See, it's not the weed itself that the security people really fear, it's that you could fall to blackmail because of it. Personnally I'd think Elon has the balls to laugh in a blackmailer's face and go to Security and say "These fucking smucks think they can blackmail me cause I smoke a doobie now and then, fuck them". "Now go get'em, I can't wait to see their swallowing faces when you extradite their ass".

It has nothing to do with Musk. NASA is under pressure because they still can't deliver the SLS while SpaceX already has a reusable heavy lift vehicle (and the BFR in the pipeline). NASA is failing, badly, and considering who's in office right now that's not a position they want to be in.

I think you are pretty close to the mark on this. Trump is exactly the kind of president who would kill off NASA R&D and active launch work in favor of a new mandate to simply promote privatized space exploration and exploitation in the private sector.

It will likely be a big nothing burger. But you have to investigate risk to human life where questionable decisions are made.

If Elon Musk smokes weed has he ever gone to a board meeting high. Was he ever high when presented with a decision like testing, qa, safety, parts budgets? Does his pot friendly attitude also get reflected to his subordinates or engineers?

Nothing personal but I don't want you designing anything that could endanger human lives.

You think it's 'likely a big nothing burger,' but you think starting a witch hunt is a good idea? Let me know when the Women's Christian Temperance Union comes up with a reusable heavy-lift launch vehicle contract proposal.

Reefer Madness.jpg

I don't think they ever figured out who was leaving cocaine all over the Space Shuttle facilities. Sounds like NASA went from the Right Stuff to the white stuff.

I think you are pretty close to the mark on this. Trump is exactly the kind of president who would kill off NASA R&D and active launch work in favor of a new mandate to simply promote privatized space exploration and exploitation in the private sector.

First off, NASA doesn't do squat. This stuff gets contracted out and bid on. And yes they are severely behind schedule. But again Safety is paramount. You guys think this stuff is common every day walk in the park. That SLS has more energy than the atomic bomb.

448 people have been to space. That's it. You know how many people have died? 18. That's 18 too many. Do the math on that. That is the riskiest of careers, I don't care who you are. Rockets have a notoriously high failure rate. And that little blow up during the fueling stage a year back didn't help things any.

EVERY RISK must be accounted for. When we filled out applications for small science payloads to go on the shuttle we had to list every possible scenario of what could go wrong, the likelihood and mitigations put into place. I can't exactly how many pages that was. But it was well into the 1,000's. And this thing fit inside a 2 cu ft box and was fueled by NimH batteries and compressed gas.

It's ignoring potential risk and red flags that led to the Challenger disaster.

You take the risk takers out of the picture. You take the idiots who patch holes in walls on space stations. You take out the dummies who pinch electrical lines on the tank stirrers of the command module. These are people who took risk. You eliminate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You take the risk takers out of the picture. You take the idiots who patch holes in walls on space stations. You take out the dummies who pinch electrical lines on the tank stirrers of the command module. These are people who took risk. You eliminate them.

I agreed with most of your post up until you said that. The astronauts are, by definition, some of the biggest risk takers there are ;). They just do it in a very managed way just like pilots do...which is why so many of them are pilots.

First off, NASA doesn't do squat. This stuff gets contracted out and bid on. And yes they are severely behind schedule. But again Safety is paramount. You guys think this stuff is common every day walk in the park. That SLS has more energy than the atomic bomb.

448 people have been to space. That's it. You know how many people have died? 18. That's 18 too many. Do the math on that. That is the riskiest of careers, I don't care who you are. Rockets have a notoriously high failure rate. And that little blow up during the fueling stage a year back didn't help things any.

EVERY RISK must be accounted for. When we filled out applications for small science payloads to go on the shuttle we had to list every possible scenario of what could go wrong, the likelihood and mitigations put into place. I can't exactly how many pages that was. But it was well into the 1,000's. And this thing fit inside a 2 cu ft box and was fueled by NimH batteries and compressed gas.

It's ignoring potential risk and red flags that led to the Challenger disaster.

I can tell that this is something you are very passionate about ...... given that I was agreeing with you :D

Back