NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers Bigger, Older Cousin to Earth

HardOCP News

[H] News
Alright folks, this is it! It's time for volunteers to be shipped off to Kepler-452b with a bank of fertilized human embryos. What? It worked in Interstellar.

NASA's Kepler mission has confirmed the first near-Earth-size planet in the “habitable zone” around a sun-like star. This discovery and the introduction of 11 other new small habitable zone candidate planets mark another milestone in the journey to finding another “Earth.”

No thanks, since it's older than our Earth, will be full of even more filth and free loaders.

I always laugh when these reports come out. Wasting Trillion upon Trillions searching for a new world instead of spend much less fixing this one.

Fuck budgets.

The star is 1400 light years away. We don't travel at light speed so it'll take us 10,000 years to get there. How long can embryo's live?

I always laugh when these reports come out. Wasting Trillion upon Trillions searching for a new world instead of spend much less fixing this one.

Fuck budgets.

Well when you have members of congress criticizing them for performing earth science because it conflicts with the goals of their corporate sponsors then what else are they supposed to do.

Fuck budgets.

You would rather No money go into Space exploration and we just be content with this dying rock we're living on? I say MORE money into space exploration. Let's get some FTL travel going and get to that planet! :D

Fuck budgets.

When as the last time NASA had a trillion USD budget?

Oh that is right.

Never.

When was the last time NASA had a $100 billion USD budget?

Oh that is right.

Never.

Fun fact the US government has thus far spent $1 trillion USD on the F-35 fighter that still isn't in service, still is pretty broken, and underpreforms compared to the planes it is replacing.

Fun fact, the F-35 isn't a NASA budget line.

Alright folks, this is it! It's time for volunteers to be shipped off to Kepler-452b with a bank of fertilized human embryos. What? It worked in Interstellar.

here's a brain teaser for you. What if it's already been done and that's why we are here.

Without touching upon any religious or political matters, what if the thought of sending embryos/genes/DNA already occurred to our eldest ancestors and that's how we got here.

If at some point in the future we are faced with impending doom from say an asteroid and the only way to save humanity is to send our DNA/Genes/Embryo's hurdling towards a planet that looks hospitable. Fast forward a few million years and evolution (assuming many factors. This is just for fun here remember) creates a new human species.

The human race gets to live on just without the knowledge of its past.
Kind of mind blowing to just toy with the idea that this scenario is how we got here and somewhere out there in the cosmos are our roots.

Fuck budgets.

Space exploration is not a big ticket item. We could end all public funding of these programs today and the budget savings would essentially be a rounding error.

Oh that is right.

Never.

Oh that is right.

Never.

Fun fact the US government has thus far spent $1 trillion USD on the F-35 fighter that still isn't in service, still is pretty broken, and underpreforms compared to the planes it is replacing.

When it comes to public money and certain programs we are often pennywise and pound foolish. Space exploration is part of the human desire to understand the universe, a desire that has driven much advancement and understanding. It's worth some public investment.

It's a pretty awesome picture that makes the imagination run wild. Since we see only one hemisphere, it could be that the other side is covered in water or the whole thing is covered in rock.

Man, I hope I am reincarnated into a future with FTL travel.

Fuck budgets.

Total NASA adjusted spend from 1958-2014 is like $ 538,415,000,000.

That would be less than a Trillion, a Trillion would look something like this 1,000,000,000,000.

For example in 2014 NASA's budget was 17,647 Million which represents .50% of federal spend.
1% of Federal spend would have been 35,294,000,000.
10% would be 352,940,000,000
and 100% would be 3,529,400,000,000

here's a brain teaser for you. What if it's already been done and that's why we are here.

Without touching upon any religious or political matters, what if the thought of sending embryos/genes/DNA already occurred to our eldest ancestors and that's how we got here.

If at some point in the future we are faced with impending doom from say an asteroid and the only way to save humanity is to send our DNA/Genes/Embryo's hurdling towards a planet that looks hospitable. Fast forward a few million years and evolution (assuming many factors. This is just for fun here remember) creates a new human species.

Kind of mind blowing to just toy with the idea that this scenario is how we got here and somewhere out there in the cosmos are our roots.

Not biologically possible. Radiation in space is bad for fully grown humans and downright deadly for a human embryo. Very little complex life can survive for long in space even if protected with shielding and a large amount of biological shielding. The most you can send passively is organic molecules and even those will get so thoroughly messed up you might as well just be sending any matter at anything and you'll have the same chances of starting life as the time scales are literally large enough for the matter to go through a few stars to transmute it to something useful.

(Detonating the sun would have infinitely better chances of transmitting life than intentionally sending probes with time-scales in the millions of years, a single probe or even millions have a basically zero chance of even landing in another system while converting all the mass in the solar system into a highly kinetic cloud of uncountable bits of gas/particles stands to merge with another system eventually)

Outside earth's magnetic field radiation is already bad and when you leave the radiation of the sun you get even more high energy radiation. Assuming sublight speeds and durations in the thousands of years the probability you can have either a self sustaining or passively durable system reach another solar system and land on a planet with viable materials is for all intensive purposes 0%.

DNA also doesn't last forever even if preserved on earth without any radiation it will break down over time on its own. The only way to survive is to be alive for the entire journey which means you need a ton of resources (mass) to survive. (This assumes your biological engineering has become so advanced you generally can live forever and have no problems with any age related problem/cancer/...)(Oh and can deal with evolutionary pressures on the long time scale as well as you may not ever want to biologically speaking land on a planet again)

In reality any other "earth like" planet is still going to be very inhospitable for actual earth life and you might as well start the evolution process on your long journey.

So the net result is either you send an entire planet to another planet (not quite sure how your going to move that much mass) or you just do nothing and assume life came to be anyways so it must already do it without us needing to do anything on our part.

If we are faced with impending doom you might as well just accelerate the doom explosively and you'll have better chances of starting life elsewhere with the explosive by-products or you can just wait for doom to come and in a few million years it might just start back up anyway or explode as well.

Space is just that large it makes no sense to send individual probes to spread life. Unlike the movies the probability being basically zero does actually mean it won't ever happen unlike Hollywood where the improbably always happens because of the plot writer (The universe has no such thing just physical laws).

Not biologically possible. Radiation in space is bad for fully grown humans and downright deadly for a human embryo. Very little complex life can survive for long in space even if protected with shielding and a large amount of biological shielding. The most you can send passively is organic molecules and even those will get so thoroughly messed up you might as well just be sending any matter at anything and you'll have the same chances of starting life as the time scales are literally large enough for the matter to go through a few stars to transmute it to something useful.

(Detonating the sun would have infinitely better chances of transmitting life than intentionally sending probes with time-scales in the millions of years, a single probe or even millions have a basically zero chance of even landing in another system while converting all the mass in the solar system into a highly kinetic cloud of uncountable bits of gas/particles stands to merge with another system eventually)

Outside earth's magnetic field radiation is already bad and when you leave the radiation of the sun you get even more high energy radiation. Assuming sublight speeds and durations in the thousands of years the probability you can have either a self sustaining or passively durable system reach another solar system and land on a planet with viable materials is for all intensive purposes 0%.

DNA also doesn't last forever even if preserved on earth without any radiation it will break down over time on its own. The only way to survive is to be alive for the entire journey which means you need a ton of resources (mass) to survive. (This assumes your biological engineering has become so advanced you generally can live forever and have no problems with any age related problem/cancer/...)(Oh and can deal with evolutionary pressures on the long time scale as well as you may not ever want to biologically speaking land on a planet again)

In reality any other "earth like" planet is still going to be very inhospitable for actual earth life and you might as well start the evolution process on your long journey.

So the net result is either you send an entire planet to another planet (not quite sure how your going to move that much mass) or you just do nothing and assume life came to be anyways so it must already do it without us needing to do anything on our part.

If we are faced with impending doom you might as well just accelerate the doom explosively and you'll have better chances of starting life elsewhere with the explosive by-products or you can just wait for doom to come and in a few million years it might just start back up anyway or explode as well.

Space is just that large it makes no sense to send individual probes to spread life. Unlike the movies the probability being basically zero does actually mean it won't ever happen unlike Hollywood where the improbably always happens because of the plot writer (The universe has no such thing just physical laws).

Ya had me until "all intensive purposes." Not bad though.

Love this stuff! Always entertaining to try and wrap ones head around thinking such as this. Homeworld anyone?

I think looking at and exploring space is a great hobby. It wont really be at the forefront of importance until its a dire need and even then you always have those who want to fix the problem and those who want to run away leaving a mess behind. Still exciting to think this universe wasn't wasted on just us.

Well when you have members of congress criticizing them for performing earth science because it conflicts with the goals of their corporate sponsors then what else are they supposed to do.

Electrolytes, it's what plants crave...

Just playing Devil's advocate..........................If humans were seeded on this planet, we wouldn't share a genetic commonality with bacteria, flora, other fauna, and fungi. The fact we do share commonalities pretty much means we evolved here, and were not introduced/seeded.

Oh that is right.

Never.

Oh that is right.

Never.

Why is that?

Fun fact; space exploration doesn't pay legislators as much as defense contractors do, even if the project requiring support is a bottomless pit.
'It's a matter of national security', they say. I wonder how many fundamentalist radical Islamist attacks the super-duper gizmo airplanes would foil.
My money is on ZERO!

Why is that?

Fun fact; space exploration doesn't pay legislators as much as defense contractors do, even if the project requiring support is a bottomless pit.
'It's a matter of national security', they say. I wonder how many fundamentalist radical Islamist attacks the super-duper gizmo airplanes would foil.
My money is on ZERO!

Depends on how you define "space exploration". Are you just including NASA itself...or the myriad of contractors NASA calls on like Boeing, Lockheed, Northrup-Grumman, Raytheon, Pratt & Whitney....

Just playing Devil's advocate..........................If humans were seeded on this planet, we wouldn't share a genetic commonality with bacteria, flora, other fauna, and fungi. The fact we do share commonalities pretty much means we evolved here, and were not introduced/seeded.

Unless we were all part of the base seed planted.

I was going to go skiing on Pluto, maybe I'll take a little side trip first...just need to fire up my trans-warp engine.

Oh that is right.

Never.

Oh that is right.

Never.

I'm not sticking up for the retarded cost of this program but come on...

The F-16, the F-22 and any F- aircraft went through the same shit the F-35 has gone through
The F-35 program is going to cost ~1 trillion over 50+ years, NASA gets 18 billion a year, lets assume it doesn't change for 50 years (we might get someone who cares in the White House one day), that is 900 billion over 50 years
The F-35 isn't in service because...are they even done testing it fully? wiki says the USMC variant goes into service in July 2015, Air Force and Navy versions aren't launching till Q3 2016 and 2018

As for it underperforming (I'm assuming you are talking about that f-16 vs f-35 thing that was going around)

From Lockheed Martin:
“It [the F-35 in question] is not equipped with the weapons or software that allow the F-35 pilot to turn, aim a weapon with the helmet, and fire at an enemy without having to point the airplane at its target.”

That particular F-35 also had a test airframe on it, restricting its abilities...

So a purposely gimped, test version of the F-35 lost to an F-16 that had everything plus 41 years of testing

The F-16, the F-22 and any F- aircraft went through the same shit the F-35 has gone through
The F-35 program is going to cost ~1 trillion over 50+ years, NASA gets 18 billion a year, lets assume it doesn't change for 50 years (we might get someone who cares in the White House one day), that is 900 billion over 50 years
The F-35 isn't in service because...are they even done testing it fully? wiki says the USMC variant goes into service in July 2015, Air Force and Navy versions aren't launching till Q3 2016 and 2018

As for it underperforming (I'm assuming you are talking about that f-16 vs f-35 thing that was going around)

From Lockheed Martin:
“It [the F-35 in question] is not equipped with the weapons or software that allow the F-35 pilot to turn, aim a weapon with the helmet, and fire at an enemy without having to point the airplane at its target.”

That particular F-35 also had a test airframe on it, restricting its abilities...

So a purposely gimped, test version of the F-35 lost to an F-16 that had everything plus 41 years of testing

That's the whole point one military project gets more money for developmental than NASA gets over 50 years. I'm sure were getting the jets for free for the next 50 years as well.

It's a pretty awesome picture that makes the imagination run wild. Since we see only one hemisphere, it could be that the other side is covered in water or the whole thing is covered in rock.

Its just an artistic representation. We have no idea what the planet is like other than that it a bit larger than Earth and the surface gravity is around 2g.

The really amazing thing about these sort of discoveries is that it implies that there are Earth-sized planets in habitable zones all over the universe. We've only been able to detect planets around other stars since the early 90s and we're already finding Earth-sized planets in Earth-like orbits.

Fuck budgets.

That's ignorant. NASA's annual budget is a few billion, about half of one percent of annual US tax revenue.

Unless very complex, well-shielded DNA was sent, but only the most miniscule pieces were what survived the trip, being the abiogenesis that started evolution here.

Whut?
Fairly sure no one is seeing anything, that's just an artist's guess on how it looks like.

That's the whole point one military project gets more money for developmental than NASA gets over 50 years. I'm sure were getting the jets for free for the next 50 years as well.

I'd rather have my tax dollars spent on Defense than the Federal Bureaucracy's Scientific propaganda arm. They are whores who will go sniffing for dollars. The sudden optimistic approach to discovering and acknowledging planets especially 'earth-like' planets is to give all the nerds fantasies about meeting Vulcan's so they can get more funding.

Does it have an atmosphere? What is that atmosphere made of?

Oh wait we don't know that yet?

/yawn

troll-spray1.png~original

I'd rather have my tax dollars spent on Defense than the Federal Bureaucracy's Scientific propaganda arm. They are whores who will go sniffing for dollars. The sudden optimistic approach to discovering and acknowledging planets especially 'earth-like' planets is to give all the nerds fantasies about meeting Vulcan's so they can get more funding.

Your fucking joking right?

From Lockheed Martin:

Of the aircraft you mention only the F35 and F22 were in development for nearly 25 years. A quarter fucking century.

F-16 started as the "Lightweight Fighter Program" with a desired specification with calls for proposals in 1972. The first flight of what would be the F-16 was January 1974...the plane was operational in 1978. That is only 6 years from paper specs to in service.

F-22 is closer in timetable...but the entire damned point of the F-35 was to be affordable, so our allies could buy it and use it (unlike the F-22). F-35 is a budgetary laughing stock with regard to its primary goal-being affordable.

We've fought entire wars for less time and money than F-35. I hate to break it to you hoss, but the F35 isn't going to cost $1 trillion over 50+ years. It has *already* cost $1 trillion USD before even entering service.

At 1400 light years away not for a while.

And the true irony, is if we sent people or DNA or whatever at SLS, using advanced cryogenics and nearly impossible amounts of shielding and life support... And they arrived, many millenia later, they may be greeted by us upon awakening, as our technology may have advanced beyond C during their stasis.

As I've said before, imagine getting off an 8000 year journey, only to wake up on a street with 4 starbucks on adjacent corners.

And the true irony, is if we sent people or DNA or whatever at SLS, using advanced cryogenics and nearly impossible amounts of shielding and life support... And they arrived, many millenia later, they may be greeted by us upon awakening, as our technology may have advanced beyond C during their stasis.

As I've said before, imagine getting off an 8000 year journey, only to wake up on a street with 4 starbucks on adjacent corners.
Well I would like to think we as a human race might do a solid, and stop and pick up the slow ass people on their way to whatever planet, so they don't have to take their time :D I mean I remember an episode of Star Trek: TNG where something similar happened, however the stasis ship thingy was "lost" which explains why they never woke them up.

Back