NASA Recommends Safety Tips to View the August Solar Eclipse

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NASA shares its eclipse viewing tips. Let me start. Don't stare directly at the sun with the naked eye...unless you are already used to doing that.

Eclipse viewing glasses and handheld solar viewers should meet all the following criteria:

Have certification information with a designated ISO 12312-2 international standard

Have the manufacturer’s name and address printed somewhere on the product

Not be used if they are older than three years, or have scratched or wrinkled lenses

Not use homemade filters

Ordinary sunglasses -- even very dark ones -- should not be used as a replacement for eclipse viewing glasses or handheld solar viewers

Heres a 10 pack for $12.99. Have an eclipse party!
Bitches love cool glasses.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I remember as a kid in elementary school, we took and pricked a hole in a piece of cardboard and watched the eclipse on the concrete. Talk about hi-tech. :LOL:

Right? Ooooh! The little light hole is going away!

...and there it is again!

I don't understand why eclipses are supposed to be so dangerous. I've stared directly into the sun before with no ill effect.

I don't understand why eclipses are supposed to be so dangerous. I've stared directly into the sun before with no ill effect.

well.. we also used to be able to ride bikes without helmets.. play outside.. with other kids without constant adult supervision.. and *GASP* go out and play with a BB gun.. all without being a terrorist

we even climbed trees without protective bubble wrap

;>)

Staring at the sun for a couple seconds is probably fine. Trying to stare directly at it without squinting or blinking for a long period so you can see a hyped-up once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event can result in permanent damage to you eyes.

I think NASA is doing the smart thing here...making the public aware of the potential danger, and what they can do to mitigate the danger.

What about a welding helmet?

I think those would work well. I remember putting one one as a kid and the first thing I did was look up at the sun. It looked about as bright as a full moon.

My Dad used to just let me use his welding helmet. Hell, I still have pics of the last partial eclipse somewhere through that helmet. :)

I used to stare at the sun. After paying for LASIK, I'm a lot more careful with my eyes. Eye protection every time I need it. No more "Nah, I'm fine. I can do it!". I'm a cheap ass, so I don't want to screw up my eyes after paying good money to fix them and being able to see good! :)

well.. we also used to be able to ride bikes without helmets.. play outside.. with other kids without constant adult supervision.. and *GASP* go out and play with a BB gun.. all without being a terrorist

Those were the days.

I remember as a kid in elementary school, we took and pricked a hole in a piece of cardboard and watched the eclipse on the concrete. Talk about hi-tech. :LOL:

We used prescription vials. The old brown glass kind.

Staring at the sun for a couple seconds is probably fine. Trying to stare directly at it without squinting or blinking for a long period so you can see a hyped-up once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event can result in permanent damage to you eyes.

I think NASA is doing the smart thing here...making the public aware of the potential danger, and what they can do to mitigate the danger.
Wha?? These spots stop me from seeing what youre typing..

Last edited by a moderator:
i am just using my welding helmet. i live in Hopkinsville Kentucky, the best spot in the world to view this event from, population is going from 30,000ish to over 200,000 for this.

I'm just north of Hopkinsville( between Earlington and Dawson Springs) Already have the day off and waiting. Picked up some of these https://www.astronomics.com/celestron-eclipsmart-2x-power-viewers-observing-kit-44406_p20547.aspx
good protection and a little magnification.

I used a welding helmet as a kid, but dont have one handy now. Shade 12 is the least you can use, 13 is best and 14 is about as dark as you can go and still see things. Of course also remember if you are in the narrow band of totality, you can observe without the glasses when it is in the total phase for two minutes give or take.

Now if only they could make glasses to wear so I could make through watching a congressional debate.

This thing is basically going to be in my back yard... Warm Springs res around Mt Hood... / Madras / Bend / Prineville... The highways traveling thru central Oregon in this area are 2-lanes (been there)... It's a 3G area with spotty 4G. But when the cloud of folks show up, and decide to camp... wherever... It will overwhelm the cell network... I hope they are careful... The entire area is a tinderbox.

I would suspect that this could be more dangerous, because your pupils might be more dilated due to the general dim lighting. When you look up at the sun, there could be comparatively more light reaching your retina.

Back