NASA Promises 'Definitive Evidence' of Alien Life by 2025

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
NASA is putting itself out there by promising proof of alien life within ten years. The Agency doesn’t make this statement lightly, but has the technology to back up the statement. Could it be that NASA already knows life is out there and this is the Agency’s way of easing the general population into the culture shock in some areas of society? The truth is out there.:cool:

We are on the cusp of discovering alien civilizations, NASA’s top scientists have said. They predict we’re one generation away from finding something in our Milky Way neighborhood, which is bustling with environments conducive to life.

No way, alien life?!? What are the odds?

Let's consider...
Our solar system has a star with a number of planets.
Our galaxy has billions of stars.
The universe has billions of galaxies.

IMO, if you don't realize the odds of there being other life out there are enormously high then you are pretty dimwitted.

I think they've seen enough anecdotal evidence that they are starting to see where to look. They just haven't found that one bit of irrefutable evidence to state it as fact.

The percentages weigh heavily that there is life, and probably even intelligent life, beyond just here on the earth. I think when the actual evidence comes most of us won't be too surprised.

Scientists-Use-Balloon-to-Find-Proof-of-Alien-Life-384619-2.jpg

When the inevitable day comes that they announce finding life outside of Earth, they need to tread carefully and make sure society is ready for such news.

I do think it's possible that they have already found proof and are just waiting for the right time to let the cat out of the bag. Why else would you make such a bold and confident statement?

Also, as scientist, everything they find needs to be peer reviewed before it will be accepted by the scientific community. They very well could be in the process right now.

It's increasing evident from lab experiments that it's very difficult to stop life from happening. The whole process from even simple proteins is like a juggernaut.

Life you can have a beer with with is another story.

Let's consider...

IMO, if you don't realize the odds of there being other life out there are enormously high then you are pretty dimwitted.

Prove it, though. The odds are very much for other life, sure.

But, intelligent life would be much more difficult. Our planet has had life for what? 3 billion years? In the last 200 we've been sending radio signals out.

how-far-in-space-our-radio-broadcasts-reach1.jpg

That's just us. For other's, we may have already missed their signals. Or they may be too far for us to detect yet. We're just a tiny clip of time in comparison to the age of the universe. Others may be more advanced or less advanced. But, our little slice of time in this little spot in the galaxy is what we have to monitor for intelligent life and radio signals. Everything else is just detecting things that may be life (anything from single cell to much bigger), evidence that life exists, but not what it is.

But, for an interesting read on it, Fermi Paradox stuff is very good.

Uh huh.

Perhaps other life forms are already here (or have toured the place), looking(ed) around at how we treat our fellow mankind, want nothing to do with us, and took off in a hurry.

Scientists can be so arrogant/trite at times.

Definitive evidence of alien life has been available since 1996.

Life? Like what, something similar to bacteria? Even if it is "intelligent", what does that mean exactly? Do you consider a cat or dog "intelligent"? Or does it have to exhibit human-level intelligence or greater to qualify?

I do believe there is life out there, but it is going to be so different from anything we've ever thought of or expected that pretty much everything anyone thinks of when they think of the concept of "alien life" is almost certainly straight-up wrong.

Uh huh.

Perhaps other life forms are already here (or have toured the place), looking(ed) around at how we treat our fellow mankind, want nothing to do with us, and took off in a hurry.

Or they were here 65 million years ago... Saw shit go down and took the fuck off. Either that, or they were here sooner than that and left something behind, mammals with a larger brain. :)

Uh huh.

I am sick of this view which sees man as uniquely evil or unworthy. I guarantee you that if there are other intelligent civilizations out there, they are no more innately noble or peace loving than we are.

NASA "promised" nothing. What the person said was that he expected that "definitive proof" (anything less than alien life itself would not be definitive) would be discovered in the next 25 years. Safe bet, because in 25 years no one will remember that NASA ever said it...;)

People have said similar things since the 1940's, if not before...with the very same results. I'll put 10-to-1 odds that when he says "definitive proof" he isn't talking about actually finding anything alien alive...remember the "Martian meteorites"..? Turned out they weren't actually "Martian" at all, but quite terrestrial--with the leavings of 100% terrestrial bacteria inside. But that didn't stop many scientists from jumping the gun and declaring it "definitive proof" of alien life...except that it wasn't...;) Expect to see much more of the same in the future as organizations like NASA push for ever-more public funding. Scientists in the predictive arts often tend to see what their conditioning invites them to see as opposed to what is really there.

I am sick of this view which sees man as uniquely evil or unworthy. I guarantee you that if there are other intelligent civilizations out there, they are no more innately noble or peace loving than we are.

We are uniquely evil, period. Feel free to respond, but it doesn't change what simply is. It is what it is.

Anyhow, back to on topic... The year of 2025 will apparently see yet another human prediction be shown pretentious and trite.

We are uniquely evil, period. Feel free to respond, but it doesn't change what simply is. It is what it is.

Anyhow, back to on topic... The year of 2025 will apparently see yet another human prediction be shown pretentious and trite.
So you've already met the aliens and compared and contrasted our species. Be sure to tell NASA as to save them all the unnecessary work.

So you've already met the aliens and compared and contrasted our species. Be sure to tell NASA as to save them all the unnecessary work.

Quite a few scientists enjoy pursuing unnecessary work these days. These alien-hunters at NASA are just a very persistent breed of them ;)

No point in warning them because it's all just....

Magic_meme.gif

Cheers! :cool:

The universe has been programmed to let the building blocks of life to come together and create life.

Finding other forms of life is inevitable.

Finding other forms of intelligent life might not be possible if our universe was programmed in a way to make traversing from one planet that has intelligent life to another impossible due to constrictions regarding the physics of speed.

There are way too many conditions that need to be met for life to even survive and reproduce, let alone inadvertently arise by pure chance.
Spontaneous generation is a faith that materialists must adhere to.
I personally welcome the search for alien life. Do we give them drivers licenses with our new open borders policy?

The universe has been programmed to let the building blocks of life to come together and create life.

Finding other forms of life is inevitable.

Finding other forms of intelligent life might not be possible if our universe was programmed in a way to make traversing from one planet that has intelligent life to another impossible due to constrictions regarding the physics of speed.

Programmed? Uh ohh. Are you implying there's a Programmer? Programs don't just create themselves.

"That I know things. And when I say we're alone, we're alone. Life is only on earth. And not for long."

Programmed? Uh ohh. Are you implying there's a Programmer? Programs don't just create themselves.

There is scientific evidence that we live in a simulation and that our reality is not much different than from a programmed game such as WoW.

Our consciousness creates everything around us in the simulation that we live in. This all goes into quantum physics though and is still being researched.

It also makes the most logical sense in my opinion.

Also programs can just create themselves if they are programmed to do so. In this case it would be consciousness creating the program.

When the inevitable day comes that they announce finding life outside of Earth, they need to tread carefully and make sure society is ready for such news.

I do think it's possible that they have already found proof and are just waiting for the right time to let the cat out of the bag. Why else would you make such a bold and confident statement?

Also, as scientist, everything they find needs to be peer reviewed before it will be accepted by the scientific community. They very well could be in the process right now.

lol when is the right time? Do you think that 10 years from now society is suddenly going to be much better prepared to "handle" such news?

This headline is a great example of why scientists don't like to make grand statements. She promised nothing. She said she thinks we'll have definitive proof within 25 years. Which is still a significant statement, but hardly a promise. Twisting her comments into that just serves as red meat for the science doubters and NASA haters.

Scientists can't even begin to posit a formal notion of what "awareness" is, much less its subsets of sentience and consciousness.

If they can't even define "awareness" formally/independently - for the sake of proofs (or even lemmas for that matter), how in flying monkeys can they discover "evidence" that leads to "proof" that we are living in a simulation if we're not sure as to what even constitutes being "aware" toward anything in the first place.....like "evidence" that constitutes "proof" that we're in a "simulation"?

Oh wait: "I'm a scientist: Don't touch me... you filthy casual sub-intelligent primate!" ;)

There are 2 ways it can go. There are many other living planets... and chances are, quite a few with decent brain capacity, like us or slightly inferior or better.

Then, there's the chance that we somehow are unique. Then we'd have to find out why we're in such a special situation.

So I click through and the headline of the article is 20-30 years, so where are you getting 2025 and within 10 years?

So I click through and the headline of the article is 20-30 years, so where are you getting 2025 and within 10 years?

Right, from the article:

'There will be "strong indications" of alien life within a decade and "definite evidence" of it within 20 to 30 years, NASA's chief scientist has said.'

And:

'But she was quick to add: "We are not talking about little green men. We are talking about little microbes."'

Goddamn clickbait.

Right, from the article:

'There will be "strong indications" of alien life within a decade and "definite evidence" of it within 20 to 30 years, NASA's chief scientist has said.'

And:

'But she was quick to add: "We are not talking about little green men. We are talking about little microbes."'

Goddamn clickbait.

Life starts at little microbes. That is probably what most life. And we are very close to finding evidence...

It's the other way around. Life adapts to the universe, the chains of events that create the most basic elements of life would simply change if our universe were different, or not happen at all. If there is a programmer, with the rate of super novae and planetary collisions, it's a complete and utter psychopath with a uniquely evil plan for the universe. Life is a product of destruction and the universe is an incredibly violent place.

You would have to be some sort of arrogant, overgrown child to think the universe was created just for us.

Programs are also riddled with errors as is our human DNA, even the Earth wobbles upon rotation (bad build?), and the universe wouldn't function without chaos. On top of that the fact that our star will one day start dying and completely consume our planet no matter what we do, thus killing us off naturally, kind of says a lot about the reality we live in. Either we leave this planet one day or we go the way of the other 99% of the life that ever lived on this planet, extinct!

I guess the 'programmer' is either very mean and cruel or it just doesn't give two shits, either way. If there even is one, which we don't know, because all religions are dog shit. Or maybe it died starting off the big bang and this is the final simulation before there is nothing but nothingness no more.

Then again, maybe I'm god, and sometimes I like to play tricks on humans. Stupid little fucking creatures.

There is scientific evidence that we live in a simulation and that our reality is not much different than from a programmed game such as WoW.

Our consciousness creates everything around us in the simulation that we live in. This all goes into quantum physics though and is still being researched.

It also makes the most logical sense in my opinion.

What "scientific evidence" are you speaking of exactly? I know a "theory" has been proposed, but I know of zero "evidence" to support it..Would you mind explaining a bit?

Let's consider...

Like Enrico Fermi, what a dimwit amirite?

Back