NASA Plans To Give The Moon A Moon?

What the hell does "science illiteracy"? The inability to read only books about science? And what does that have to do with "shutting your mouth" about how our government spends its money? You seem to just be another reactionary person that defends any money the government spends as long as it's for your pet project. I'm a fan of space exploration, too...but right now there are plenty of private groups making leaps and bounds that will soon make NASA an anachronistic institution.

thanks for proving my point...

You can make a collage if you want. We have plenty of pictures and paper lying around.

that not even close its more like

"Mom, I want to go to collage"

"We can't afford it, honey."

"I'm sorry, but we simply don't have the money. Times are hard."

"Mom, why are you such a Luddite?"

Maybe you should have gone to college, so that you'd know the difference between it and a collage.

Apart from not even making sense...is that supposed to be any more of a sensible argument on the child's part? We don't have the money. We're adding another 10% onto our debt every year, we keep raising the debt ceiling, and we refuse to cut anything. The only thing that could save us is a good slap in the face and a realization that we need to cut spending in general. Our debt now exceeds our yearly GDP. We're sinking and people like you only want to poke more holes in the ship. It's go-out-with-a-bang logic: we're already fucked so let's spend as much as possible before hyperinflation hits!

OMG i made a typo lets pick it apart and because you dont have a real argument
i saw it after i posted but you know news forum so cant edit...

LETS THROW OUT RELATIVITY TOO BECAUSE EINSTEIN WAS BAD AT BASIC MATH!
>.>

OMG i made a typo lets pick it apart and because you dont have a real argument
i saw it after i posted but you know news forum so cant edit...

If you talk about illiteracy and intellectual pursuits while clearly demonstrating a lack of ability to communicate clearly, expect to be called out on it. ;)

For all the great things the US has done and given to the world. And the enemies you survived both foreign and domestic since the first day you became a country. Its pretty fucken sad that you will be done in by corruption and debt!

I guess the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" couldn't be more true!

It's easier to understand under the context that the cold war never ended and now the USA has lost. We never got rid of the communists that infiltrated hollywood and our schools, they "re-educated" a majority of the population, and now the USA is going down.

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”

Maybe you should have gone to college, so that you'd know the difference between it and a collage.

Apart from not even making sense...is that supposed to be any more of a sensible argument on the child's part? We don't have the money. We're adding another 10% onto our debt every year, we keep raising the debt ceiling, and we refuse to cut anything. The only thing that could save us is a good slap in the face and a realization that we need to cut spending in general. Our debt now exceeds our yearly GDP. We're sinking and people like you only want to poke more holes in the ship. It's go-out-with-a-bang logic: we're already fucked so let's spend as much as possible before hyperinflation hits!

how about we cut the DoJ's budget they have 10x more then NASA
because we totally need more lawyers

why not cut the DoD's budget that takes up almost 80% of whats spent hell if where only adding 10% on cut DoD spending 21% and split that last 1% with NASA and basic research you would solve the problem right there

OR maybe we could get rid of the TSA and DHS that would about make up that 10%

the DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE HAS A BIGGER BUDGET THEN NASA

OR maybe repeal Obama care dont see that one on the table...

OR maybe we could get rid of the TSA and DHS that would about make up that 10%

the DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE HAS A BIGGER BUDGET THEN NASA

OR maybe repeal Obama care dont see that one on the table...

I'm in 100% agreement, believe it or not. Also get rid of Department of Education, Department of Energy(operations should be handled by Department of the Interior), the IRS, the Federal Reserve, slash foreign aid(including money to the UN), etc.

Unfortunately, until we get someone with the balls to cut specific programs, what's staring us in the face is across-the-board cuts. The Republicans just showed that they are completely castrated in regards to getting cuts in spending, and the Democrats...lol.

Please find me NASA on this chart then find the DoD yea i think we can find better places to cut spending then NASA

pjtMr.jpg

and in case any one complains thats to old
here is 2012

BrweI.jpg

NASA Budget 18.7 Billion
USAF Budget for Classified R and D 17.6 Billion <--- at lest with NASA i know what its being spent on
F-35 only cost 3.6 Billion or so

and oh the US Army get the lions share of the DoD budget NOT the Air Force

What the hell does "science illiteracy"? The inability to read only books about science?

Facepalm

And what does that have to do with "shutting your mouth" about how our government spends its money? You seem to just be another reactionary person that defends any money the government spends as long as it's for your pet project.

Reactionary? A 'reactionary' is a person who wants to restore a previous government.

And I wouldn't call learning how to defend the Earth against asteroid impacts and harvest resources in space a 'pet project.' This is a big step forward, and because of the bureaucratic inertia involved with developing a launch vehicle we may not have another opportunity to do this for some time. If we really want to balance it out I'm sure they can shave something over at the DoD.

I'm a fan of space exploration, too...but right now there are plenty of private groups making leaps and bounds that will soon make NASA an anachronistic institution.
You do realize that SpaceX and all those other 'private' rocket companies depend on government-funded NASA contracts, right? NASA is building a massive rocket for launching the big ships you need to leave Earth's gravity well. Those guys are building smaller rockets for orbital missions. SpaceX would like to build a heavy lifter eventually, but again, it depends on money from NASA.

NASA wants to break down ice from asteroids into hydrogen and oxygen and create a fuel depot. Being able to refuel in space rather than hauling it all up with you drastically reduces the difficulty of going to Mars and the outer planets. There's a company called Planetary Resources that wants to mine asteroids for precious/rare-earth elements. The economic benefits would be enormous if their plans are successful, but they are going to be dependent on NASA fuel contracts initially. This sort of mission is the first step.

Priort to WW2 we were in the Great Depression. Veterans protested on the Capital lawn, General Patton lead a charge against them.

It was only WW2 which pulled us out of the depression.

I want to know why you think WW2 started in 1933? Because that is when our economy began to grow again. Also, you seem to ignore the massive public debt caused by WWII. False recoveries because of massive public borrowing don't amount to much in the long run.

Bottom line it matters on how the money is spent. The research done for WWII helped fundamentally grow the economy, this includes work done by NASA! The random explosions done over Germany didn't fundamentally help our economy, we just borrowed money to pay guys to make things go boom. I could borrow money to pay you to fart (BOOM!), it won't fix the economy like borrowing money to pay you to investigate Thorium deposits on the moon (which may one day power the Earth and it's economy, so I want to be the nation that controls that technology!)

As for giving the moon a moon, I'm not entirely sold on it yet, but I can see the potential gain in being able to manuver asteroids (natural resources) and utilise them. I'd need to read the Keck teams plans to get a better idea about it. (If we plan to visit the same body many times, it may be better to bring it near, but if we only visit it once, it's probably cheaper to go to it.)

Lets try it this way, don't think of asteroids as stupid nerd dreams, and starrt thinking of them as floating oil wells and rare metals deposits.

You can pay for it then, my $145,638 share of the national debt and my nearly 10k share of my state's debt is quite enough, thank you.

Tell ya what, lets shut down all government and social services til we eliminate the debt. Because nothings more important than being fiscally responsible, right?

Christ. A thread about the moon around the moon has become about politics. Take your shit out of here.

I for one am interested in the science behind this - the how and why.

Christ. A thread about the moon around the moon has become about politics. Take your shit out of here.

Yeah. A thread about a government agency planning to spend more money has turned into a discussion of government agencies spending money. Poor you. :cool:

Lets try it this way, don't think of asteroids as stupid nerd dreams, and starrt thinking of them as floating oil wells and rare metals deposits.

Mining the entirety of even a small asteroid heavy in precious metals would basically turn the precious metals market on its head.

All the silver and goldbugs would create a flood to rival Katrina with their tears.

Being a macroeconomic adviser for fiscal spending is apparently the worst job in the world because everywhere you go on the internet has a bunch of people who might as well be trash truck drivers acting like they know how your job works. That and usually they're so wrong in understanding how government debt works that you probably just want to curl up in a fetal position and die.

I see the end the fed folks have been here. Pretty soon we'll be back to burning witches and having a flat earth. It's good to know that sciences, especially social ones like economics, are still so far lost on the general public that they think they can intuit them on their own or from a bunch of youtube videos recorded by a gynecologist.

Sorry NASA, the moon will never get another moon. We'll be too busy worshiping the sun and trying to cast spells on banks as we enter some kind of pseudo-intellectual dark age brought on by the internet and animated videos of talking bears.

If I could +1 your post, I would create a hundred accounts and promote the hell out of this. Federal debt isn't your bank account people, it doesn't work like home loan or credit card debt. Unfortunately, that is way mainstream news has explained it to people and you have a bunch of people espousing bastardized Hayek philosophy without having the foggiest notion of what they mean. Somehow the idea that reducing the federal debt will fix the fiscal crisis has been sold to the public, but it fact it will have no positive effect, especially in the situation we are currently in.

Despite Noble prize winning economists trying to explain why the debt is a non-issue, people are rallying behind a couple of politicians who have no economic experience, espousing ideas that make no rational sense. I am sorry if economic theory is hard to understand and can't be explained in a sound bite, but sadly that is true of a lot of things. There are youtube videos that will explain some of this and you could pick up a book, but sadly that seems outside the grasp of most people, including members of our House and Senate.

I see the end the fed folks have been here. Pretty soon we'll be back to burning witches and having a flat earth.

Another "rational" perspective, which apparently equates opposition to constant devaluation of our money through "quantitative easings" to burning witches and believing the earth is flat.

More of the wonderful "anyone who disagrees with me is a crazy extremist who must be ignored" banter from the people who consider themselves "sensible".

...espousing bastardized Hayek philosophy...

Despite Noble prize winning economists trying to explain why the debt is a non-issue...

It's a shame Hayek didn't win a Nobel Prize.

Oh wait, he did. How about Milton Friedman?

Oh, him too? Well what about George Stigler?

Wow...lots of Nobels out there who make no claim that debt is a "non-issue". How about Thomas Sowell?

BAM! NO NOBEL. He just agrees with a bunch of Nobel winning economists that all "espouse bastardized Hayek philosophy".

Look...everyone wants more space exploration, and the US has made a lot of progress over the years in the field. However, you cannot spend over a trillion dollars more than you take in every year and expect the math to work out in your favor. Any economist who disputes that isn't much of an economist.

Mining the entirety of even a small asteroid heavy in precious metals would basically turn the precious metals market on its head.

All the silver and goldbugs would create a flood to rival Katrina with their tears.

This project isn't likely to break any precious metals markets. The description of the mission in the news story says they are going to target an asteroid around 7 meters wide. Any returned material would be worth more by virtue of it being part of an asteroid than its weight in precious metals.

I'm ignoring the political/financial side of this thread. Not my area of expertise. Some good posts though and I've learned a bit, but I agree with Azhar. This is a cool news item, not an excuse to launch a political rant. IMHO.

Why not have NASA hold bake sales like my kids do for every damn school project.

Who are you even talking to and why no example of what you're even talking about?
Seriously.

If I could +1 your post,I would create a hundred accounts and promote the hell out of this.
If I could fly in space I would.

Federal debt isn't your bank account people
Why would you even think someone would assume that as a possibility? A bank account is in your control and it can't be spent into large values of negativity (besides an overdraft fee).

it doesn't work like home loan or credit card debt.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”

Unfortunately, that is way mainstream news has explained it to people and you have a bunch of people espousing bastardized Hayek philosophy without having the foggiest notion of what they mean.
The funniest part about this part of your post is that most of the people in this very thread you're referring to more than likely DO NOT get their information from mainstream media so you're just confusing me with broad inaccuracies.

Somehow the idea that reducing the federal debt will fix the fiscal crisis has been sold to the public, but it fact it will have no positive effect, especially in the situation we are currently in.
I thought getting rid of this never-ending debt altogether is what the people would want but the government doesn't actually work for us anymore. And that would sure the fuck help! After all, Federal debt = public debt = our taxes go towards paying (but never paying off) it off. I mean, they were just going to raise everyone's taxes to do it too. It like was just happening, in real life, outside my window. Even this site says it's our debt! (The only way it doesn't matter is if the expected default is happening and you know something I haven't heard yet about it)

Despite Noble prize winning economists trying to explain why the debt is a non-issue, people are rallying behind a couple of politicians who have no economic experience, espousing ideas that make no rational sense.
What?
I am sorry if economic theory is hard to understand and can't be explained in a sound bite, but sadly that is true of a lot of things.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”

There are youtube videos that will explain some of this and you could pick up a book, but sadly that seems outside the grasp of most people, including members of our House and Senate.
What's youtube? I only watch Fox, CNN, and MSNBC. I know my shit...lol.

+1 to this. Politics in a computer nerd forum. Only Bald Brittney Spears is more silly.

bald_britney_spears-4229.jpg

You can pay for it then, my $145,638 share of the national debt and my nearly 10k share of my state's debt is quite enough, thank you.

Actually you owe NASA one half of one penny. Pretty sure you can pay that yourself even if you are sleeping on the street.

People that NASA is wasting money are straight up fools. If a $660+ Billion dollar defense budget seems reasonable but $14 Billion seems unreasonable for NASA than you should go have a CAT scan done.

Also this entire concept is awesome and far less loony than Newt's plan to build a Moon Base and declare it the 51st State :rolleyes:

Also this entire concept is awesome and far less loony than Newt's plan to build a Moon Base and declare it the 51st State :rolleyes:

building a moon base is pretty easy at this point and is a question purely of funding
almost all the tech to do it is already invented so nothing new needs to be done there
its a matter of building it

im also a supporter of one way Mars trips and slowly building up a colony till such time we can come up with a cheap return craft

oh and yes i would be the first in line to volunteer for such a Mars mission and im sure im not the only one
it would be biggest land grab in the history of man and the descendents of the first ones will be wealthier then any one can imagine

oh and yes i would be the first in line to volunteer for such a Mars mission and im sure im not the only one
it would be biggest land grab in the history of man and the descendents of the first ones will be wealthier then any one can imagine

I agree, I would easily do this as well. I guess I'd have to find a new GF out of one of the females going though because I was informed I'd be on my own...lol. I'd find a nice new plot of land (dibs on Olympus Mons) and I'd consent to no property/income taxes on the planet (or at least my land). I would also start my own government that's not actually a for profit corporation. :D Just playing. (says this to cover tracks)

the amount of scientific illiteracy in this thread is MADDENING for a tech forum
[/QUOTE

I second that. I've been reading [H] for over ten years and it seems more recently I've been more annoyed by the technical ignorance on a tech site. Come on! I expect better from the [H] crowd! ;)

Back