NASA Planning For A Disastrous Asteroid Strike

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who needs NASA for this stuff? As long as we have people like Bruce Willis and Robert Duvall, everything is going to be just fine.

Talking to Lindley Johnson, the head of NASA’s newly minted Planetary Defense Coordination Office (PDCO), is not an uplifting experience. “Even a small asteroid, say 100 meters in size, something the size of a football field, if it were to hit a population center on Earth it would pretty much wipe out the city,” he told me during a recent interview.

we don't have the resources to stop anything coming, just let it come as a surprise.

Hilarious! I got a better chance getting killed by an asteroid than winning the lottery.

I say we just train the Kardashians for a mission to the astroid surface where they have to detonate nuclear weapons.

Best case scenario? They succeed in their sacrifice. Worst case? They don't. Either way, we all win.

NASA is trying to justify their budget and having difficulty now that the Cold War is over.

oh please let it hit me... i am so tired of this shit that would be a great way out.

NASA is trying to justify their budget and having difficulty now that the Cold War is over.

Did you mean the Space Race?

Because the agencies funded during the Cold War are apparently doing just dandy. The NRO recently donated multiple Hubble-class optical arrays to NASA. Presumably because they already have better...

I say we just train the Kardashians for a mission to the astroid surface where they have to detonate nuclear weapons.

Best case scenario? They succeed in their sacrifice. Worst case? They don't. Either way, we all win.

I like your thinking sir!

Can I just be an intern there or something, I really want a patch or email address that says planetary defense and actually be legit

Yeah, I mean why should we try to advance scientific understanding and research? How can this possibly be justified? Just disband NASA, retire the Space Shuttle program so Russian Federation has a monopoly on getting materials and crew to the ISS since the Soyuz launch vehicle is the most reliable in history... Actually, how about we just evacuate the ISS and put it on a suicide burn to crash over an ISIS training camp?

Then we can use what tiny budget that NASA has and add it to the military budget.
Next stop: stopping federal research grants and shutting down Los Alamos. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I mean why should we try to advance scientific understanding and research? How can this possibly be justified? Just disband NASA, retire the Space Shuttle program so Russian Federation has a monopoly on getting materials and crew to the ISS since the Soyuz launch vehicle is the most reliable in history... Actually, how about we just evacuate the ISS and put it on a suicide burn to crash over an ISIS training camp?

Then we can use what tiny budget that NASA has and add it to the military budget.
Next stop: stopping federal research grants and shutting down Los Alamos. :rolleyes:

NASA is a weapons program masquerading as a science program. If you could land someone on the moon you most certainly can hit anywhere on Earth with a nuclear missile. Los Alamos is primarily involved in nuclear energy research, it is indeed another cold war relic.

NASA is a weapons program masquerading as a science program. If you could land someone on the moon you most certainly can hit anywhere on Earth with a nuclear missile. Los Alamos is primarily involved in nuclear energy research, it is indeed another cold war relic.

NASA does not receive enough in funding. It's less than 1% of the federal budget. Also, yes, they do collaborate with the major aircraft firms, USAF, DARPA, and the DoD, to name a few.
I don't really understand why you would want to dismantle them at all. Despite their poor funding they cooperate with ESA, JAXA, Roscosmos, a large number of universities... I don't get the appeal of wanting to eliminate them. There are countries just now developing fledgling space programmes and in my opinion scientific progress is a good thing.

Even strictly military technology trickles down for civilian and ultimately a social good. Using the Internet right now? Thanks, ARPANET.

Hell, just the other day -- "An Atlas V rocket carrying the IIF-12 GPS satellite took off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at 8:38 a.m. EST (1338 GMT) on Feb. 5, 2016"

So yeah, that's awesome.

Yeah, because the most efficient way of developing ballistic missiles is landing people on the moon.

I think it is safe at this point to ignore the tin foil hatter trolling.

Man I actually feel dumber just reading some of the posts in this thread.

Tell me about it.

Too many fools posting anti-science nonsense or paranoia or basic ignorance that it is not even funny anymore. Fools like these:

we don't have the resources to stop anything coming, just let it come as a surprise.

Is this part pf the Muslim outreach program?

NASA is a weapons program masquerading as a science program. If you could land someone on the moon you most certainly can hit anywhere on Earth with a nuclear missile.

*facepalm*

I wonder if any of these trolls know just how many things in their home were invented by NASA technology. lulz

I wonder if any of these trolls know just how many things in their home were invented by NASA technology. lulz

Taking all of NASA's funding and giving to the NSF would probably result in more inventions.

Back