NASA Offers View of Major Winter Storm

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hey, you know that massive winter storm that is kicking your ass right about now? It looks way cooler in this picture posted on NASA's Flickr page than it does if you are actually stuck in the middle of it.

It's going to start soon here in Chicago, I think in about 3 hours. We're all gonna die!!

I was in the Scotland one that kicked my ass about a month ago, good times.

I saw this on a movie once, I think it was called The Day After Tomorrow

It's the prophecy :D

dayaftertomorrow2-dvd.jpg

See that spot of clear sky on the lower left? Hi!

I'm glad I moved back here last month from the east. Screw that snow nonsense.

Drove to work with the top off on Saturday, got snowed in on Tuesday. Yay for Texas.

I've been getting phone calls all damn morning from my distributors in Georgia, New Joisey and Texass to be prepared for delays getting anything shipped down here to FL. Hopefully I won't have to make any orders this week LOL.

Not much snow here in Colorado, but it is -50 with windchill. I'm moving to Texas...

I'm in OKC... buried in about a foot of snow at the moment. I guess the worst part of it is the temperature outside is around 6 degrees and the wind is gusting around 50 mph. Its amazingly cold outside, the wind chills are hitting -30s the coldest ever recorded in the state. The wind is picking up the snow on the ground and making it almost impossible to see any distance what-so-ever, and to pile on... its creating snow drifts several feet high. I suppose this is nothing for people who live in places that are "somewhat" better equipt to handle this than Oklahoma's DOT... but I remember the news stories about them having about as much trouble. The one bright spot in all of this is that people have been a lot smarter this year compared to last when we had the big storm around christmas eve. There were people who died in that storm covered up in their car. The news crews out have reported about the complete lack of cars on the road, that is a good thing. Companies also wised up a lot... so I'm not at work today. It's just not worth the risk of life to get out in this shit.

I occasionally check out how Earth looks from space at the World Sunlight Map http://www.die.net/earth/

"Watch the sun rise and set all over the world on this real-time, computer-generated illustration of the earth's patterns of sunlight and darkness. The clouds are updated every 3 hours with current weather satellite imagery."

I've been getting phone calls all damn morning from my distributors in Georgia, New Joisey and Texass to be prepared for delays getting anything shipped down here to FL. Hopefully I won't have to make any orders this week LOL.

Well, i'm in GA, and i can tell you right now, there ain't crap going on, and nothing in the forcast. They should have no issues getting from GA to FL lol

Am I the only one that actually likes snow?

There is no substitute for skiing on real fresh powder :)

Sitting here waiting to get snowed in at work. :( Where is that global warming when you need it!?

No clouds, sunny and 36F right now. The NASA picture shows us covered in clouds, we have had 3 days of sun. Sucks to be in the middle of this, I'm sure. Long live WA weather!

At the last minute last Friday I decided to schedule some vacation days to get away from work looks like I picked the right days to do it. I'd much rather be snowed in sitting at home then to have to drive through this crap to get home. By the way from Chicago here no snow yet but the wind is whipping around something fierce right now.

No clouds, sunny and 36F right now. The NASA picture shows us covered in clouds, we have had 3 days of sun. Sucks to be in the middle of this, I'm sure. Long live WA weather!

The photo is 20 hours old now, though. Or rather, it was posted 20 hours ago.

By NASA Goddard Photo and Video NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

This photo was taken 20 hours ago.

Time to take your computer outside, for some backyard overclocking!!

With freezing temperatures like this, who needs liquid nitrogen! :D

Snow is bad enough,but here in northeast PA we're getting an ice storm. Doesn't matter much what you're driving,it's like a skating rink out there.

;)

We have 2 days of sun left, then rain.

Yeah, I totally missed that part somehow. :-P

Well I'm nice and toasty in the server room at my office at the moment, so let the storms come!

Snow is bad enough,but here in northeast PA we're getting an ice storm. Doesn't matter much what you're driving,it's like a skating rink out there.

Come to Southwest PA then, you'd like it here. I'm around Pittsburgh and somehow every single winter storm (except for one in 1994 and one last year) misses my area entirely.

It's hilarious how the local weather stations work people up into a panic every time we're supposed to get any snow. They start issuing Winter Storm Warnings, telling people to stock up, saying the end is near, etc, and then we always get like two inches.

We just baaaarrrely eeked by this morning in Southeast Oklahoma. Picked up about 2" of snow. Places 50 miles northeast of us are seeing 12-16". I was kinda hoping for the snow, but it also brought alot of ice and the little rural power companies here aren't equipped to deal with that much damage. Back in 2000 we were without power for two weeks due to an ice storm.

Come to Southwest PA then, you'd like it here. I'm around Pittsburgh and somehow every single winter storm (except for one in 1994 and one last year) misses my area entirely.

It's hilarious how the local weather stations work people up into a panic every time we're supposed to get any snow. They start issuing Winter Storm Warnings, telling people to stock up, saying the end is near, etc, and then we always get like two inches.

And when they predict 1 to 3 inches we get 18. That happened here just last week.

Damn DC was built on a swamp, all that snow will be transformed it soaking rain by the time it hits us.

This weather or horrid. I had to put on my jacket leaving work yesterday, as it was only in the ~60* range. I even turned my heat on last night, but didn't close my bedroom winter.

Yeah, we have psychos that try to kill congressional leaders here, but at least the weather is nice!

Back