NASA May Start Selling Tourists Tickets to Space

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Not to be outdone by SpaceX, Blue Origin, and Virgin Galactic, NASA has begun proposals for a commercial space flight program, which would “sell private citizens tickets aboard rockets to and from the International Space Station (ISS).” The venture would involve seats on crafts built by SpaceX or Boeing and aim “to enhance the exposure of space activities in the popular culture.”

Although this would be a first for the United States, Russia has been sending tourists to space since 2001, when Space.com writes that American businessman Dennis Tito paid $20 million to board the Soyuz to the ISS. The Russian space program has continued to send private citizens to space and, according to Jalopnick, has floated the idea of building a luxury hotel aboard the ISS that travelers could book for a $20 million, two-week vacation.

LOL.

It's too bad that they don't have any spacecraft to fly there anymore.

They must be Really Trying for those Year-end bonuses this year.

How many rears has it been now since Nasa had an actual spacecraft?

Titan's don't really count, they were designed as ICBM's, not spacecraft, even tho some people rode them to orbit, because we had to show something to try to match the Soviets.

How far they've fallen; now their best efforts have been driving RC cars around on the surface of Mars. :)

Wasn't that like, 10 years ago now?

Elon can sell them tickets on HIS spacecraft, if he wants, lol.

I'd Gouge the fuck out of them, tho. :)

If I'm dropping 20mil on a space ticket, I really want to stay in a Space Ritz Carlton or even settling for a Space Marriott, but I'm not going to pony up my 20 mil for DEPARTMENT OF COSMONAUT SERVICE BARRACKS ISS UNIT 32. You see the shit they built for the Olympics? $20 mil and you still gotta bring your own o2 tanks no doubt ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't want go go to the ISS. Well I mean I would, but not pay for it. It is getting old, and space stations age terribly.

Meh. While planetside you can get burned to death, knifed in a dark alley, or even fall off the side of a cliff taking selfies, in space, no one can hear you scream.

I'll stick to terra firma, where at least you can feel the earth move under your feet.

have to start some where wasnt cheap to fly or even a boat at first

Back