NASA Goes Back to Chainmail for New Rover Tires

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
NASA noticed that the Curiosity has been wearing out tires over it's mission life and decided it was time to do something about it so they looked at some old school chainmail and found that it might make a good material to resist damage. After looking at their video I would say NASA might be right.

Watch the video here.

Looking at how the wheels disintegrated, I wondered if they ran them thru gallium or something.

Montu, you've got to stop sharing videos with random starting points in the middle - or in this case, at the very end - of the video. Just post the link, not the link with the time stamp. Every single video you've shared today has had a random, insignificant starting point when we click play on the homepage. I like your content, but viewing your video shares is... frustrating.

Montu, you've got to stop sharing videos with random starting points in the middle - or in this case, at the very end - of the video. Just post the link, not the link with the time stamp. Every single video you've shared today has had a random, insignificant starting point when we click play on the homepage. I like your content, but viewing your video shares is... frustrating.
By right clicking a youtube video you have a choice of "copy video url" and that's the one you want, not the "copy video url at current time".

So I was the only one thinking they were doing spam emails to raise funds for new tyres?

Reactions: N4CR
like this

Gotcha. I didn't realize I was cutting them off like that. I'll improve it from now on. Thanks for the constructive input.

This is pretty common for severe service applications like mining already. Still neat to see them use a simple, existing solution to their problem.

not exactly new tech...the Lunar rover was using this style of tires in the late 1960s

nasa+2-3.jpg

Back