NASA: 2012 Solar Flares Could Devastate Cities!

I'm going to follow my usual procedure when it comes to these kinds of doomsday stories: consider it bullshit until I actually see them come true.

It's worked very well for me in the past.

Did I just hear Chicken Little scream “The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling?” If not, NASA is doing a very good impression with its prediction of doom and gloom. NASA is saying that the solar flares predicted for next year will be on a Space Katrina level rather than a planetary level destruction. It’s a good news/bad news situation.

Wow. NASA didn't mean that all all. You quoted a Register (*cough*) article which misinterprets a NASA release.

Might devastate cities because the solar flares might knock out key communication satellites (either completely or, have them purposefully shut down to protect them), and if that happens, imagine a world with no mobile devices... people would have to look where they walk, look at other people, perhaps even talk to someone not on the other side of the phone, might have to pay attention while driving!!!! it'll be like biblical events that precede Armageddon!!!

Hehe. "News tonight: Solar flare tied to reduction in car-related deaths!".

That article wasn't sensationalist at all was it? :rolleyes:

This just happened a few weeks ago and we are all still here.

I'm not saying a massive solar flare wouldn't cause damage to the electric grid, but I think 2012 will pass and society will stay intact.

Thanx for killing my buzz & scaring hte crap out of me for a few minutes...good job...I'm heading voer th the for sale thread to see if there's any stuff I might need to replace after the sun kills it. =/

I can only laugh at people who don't take this seriously. These will be the people that can't feed themselves because what money they think they have is tied up electronically. They will be completely bewildered when financial institutions close down because of "technical difficulties" and every electronic device they own doesn't work anymore.

These will the people begging in the streets while others have storable food, clean water, and hard assets like gold and silver to trade for what they need.

Having been warned, you will get what you deserve. It will be a shame you drag down your family with you.

Aside from that think about the infrastructure worldwide that will be affected. Just the effect transportation alone will be catastrophic. Cars, trucks, trains, boats ect.... Without these things you will have very little to any food flowing into large population centres. Just take a moment and let this play out in your mind. What will it mean when food runs out, what will happen? Not just in your town, but worldwide.

Oh for crying out loud, as usual there is no shortage of idiots on the internet picking and choosing bits from an article instead of digesting the information as a whole. Maybe some of the above dumb asses should read the article, then you might get things like this:

Citing the accurate fact that solar activity is currently ramping up in its standard 11-year cycle, there are those who believe that 2012 could be coincident with such a flare.

But this same solar cycle has occurred over millennia. Anyone over the age of 11 has already lived through such a solar maximum with no harm. In addition, the next solar maximum is predicted to occur in late 2013 or early 2014, not 2012.

Get it yet? No? Ok let me type really slowly then and spell this out.
If you are over 11 you have been there and done that. The last solar maximum was in 2000. Remember Y2K? Still here... The next solar maximum is currently predicted to occur sometime between January and May 2013 and to be one of the weakest cycles since 1928.

http://sunearthday.gsfc.nasa.gov/2010/TTT/70.php

150 years ago, the sun let loose a powerful superstorm - can it happen again?

"She ran screaming down the street, unable to contain her terror as night was turned into hideous crimson daylight…communications networks failed and equipment burst into flame…a bustling city lost power, trapping thousands of people inside elevators…satellites malfunctioned and in an instant millions of people lost touch with critical services, doctors and children."

Between August 28 - September 6, 1859, humans experienced one of the most spectacular solar storms in the last 450 years. Reconstruction of this event from historical data has led space weather researchers in recent years to classify it as a Superstorm. Here's what it was like:

I feel like this is just fear mongering by NASA to keep them relevant and funded.

People like this amaze me. NASA is one of the most horrendously underfunded organizations within the US, and yet they still manage to do amazing things while people in the background shout that their funding should be cut. The highest funding NASA ever got (during the Space Race), was 4.5% of the national budget, less than 1/4 what we're spending on Defense today.

Now NASA operates on less than 0.5% of the total budget. If we just unplugged the air conditioned tents in Iraq ($20.2B per year), we could triple NASA's budget.

Truth is the HAARP has turned the planet into a super electrical conduit which will increase the chances of this electrical hell fire hitting the earth 1000x fold.

President Obama doesn't want to shut down the HAARP project either.

;)

People like this amaze me. NASA is one of the most horrendously underfunded organizations within the US, and yet they still manage to do amazing things while people in the background shout that their funding should be cut. The highest funding NASA ever got (during the Space Race), was 4.5% of the national budget, less than 1/4 what we're spending on Defense today.

Now NASA operates on less than 0.5% of the total budget. If we just unplugged the air conditioned tents in Iraq ($20.2B per year), we could triple NASA's budget.

America adopted capitalism and NASA doesn't produce any capital. War on the other hand does. Advancements to our knowledge and understanding of our universe is nothing when compared to making a buck.

if the solar flare does mess things up on an apocalyptic scale I have a gun and no issues putting humans on the menu. And I live in america we grow them fat, slow, and delicious.

Those December 21st, 2012 believing nimrods must be eating this all up! :)

I am selling tinfoil hats and magic wands on ebay now...it should be enough to counter the jiggalots and flying space'a'zoid matter. Just take the magic wand and redirect solar flare paths.

America adopted capitalism and NASA doesn't produce any capital. War on the other hand does. Advancements to our knowledge and understanding of our universe is nothing when compared to making a buck.

if the solar flare does mess things up on an apocalyptic scale I have a gun and no issues putting humans on the menu. And I live in america we grow them fat, slow, and delicious.

"the $25 billion in 1958 dollars spent on civilian space R & D during the 1958-1969 period has returned $52 billion through 1971 -- and will continue to produce pay offs through 1987, at which time the total pay off will have been $181 billion. The discounted rate of return for this investment will have been 33 percent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

Whats the ROI for the ~$689B spent on defense last year?

What the previous poster didn't mention is that the Solar System will be passing through a cloud of charged particles exciting our atmosphere as well as the Sun creating more violent Solar Flares.

Some good information on what we can expect from severe flare activity.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033564_solar_flares_nuclear_power_plants.html

dude...just no... Regardless what I feel personally on the subject. I need to call this one out and point out that Naturalnews is about just as credible as the mainstream media, it's sensationalist crap from the other side of the fence...its like if infowars made itself even less credible.

There are plenty of alternate news sources that accurately tell you what the mainstream will not. Naturalnews is like the tinfoil equivalent of fox news.

Might all sound nutty but it is coming. But we all know how people handle bad news...they just ignore it, cause then it becomes untrue doesn't it?

People ignore bad news because 75% of what we're told is complete bullshit that someone made up to make a quick dollar.

Don't worry, the supervolcano under Yellowstone (well, that IS Yellowstone) that goes off about every 600,000 years, is now about 20,000 years overdue. ;)

With all that cynicism, you're gonna run out of bullets before you run out of food.

What a shitty article. The presentation by NASA was comparing hurricanes to solar flares, in that satellite operators/electronic systems guys can see them coming a couple days away and prepare by turning satellites or doing whatever. The guy from NASA said that from the time they've been studying solar flares, none have had the power to decimate the earth.

I can only laugh at people who don't take this seriously. These will be the people that can't feed themselves because what money they think they have is tied up electronically. They will be completely bewildered when financial institutions close down because of "technical difficulties" and every electronic device they own doesn't work anymore.

These will the people begging in the streets while others have storable food, clean water, and hard assets like gold and silver to trade for what they need.

Having been warned, you will get what you deserve. It will be a shame you drag down your family with you.

Aside from that think about the infrastructure worldwide that will be affected. Just the effect transportation alone will be catastrophic. Cars, trucks, trains, boats ect.... Without these things you will have very little to any food flowing into large population centres. Just take a moment and let this play out in your mind. What will it mean when food runs out, what will happen? Not just in your town, but worldwide.

Yes, please, go ahead and buy gold at all time highs. The rest of us will barter with our talent/skills creating useful commodities.

Good thing my .300 Ultra Mag (or any others, your choice) is much more useful in such a world than you being prepared. Jokes' on you!

Crazies on the internet: NASA says 2012 Solar Flares Could Devastate Cities!
NASA: no we didnt.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012-superFlares_prt.htm

Post useful information. Get ignored. Can't explain that.

Some of you people remind me of this guy.. think his name is helium J. that calls into this local ladio show down in Tampa, FL; The cowhead show. Guy constantly calls in about how something disastrous is happening soon... Guess what? Nothing happens.

"the $25 billion in 1958 dollars spent on civilian space R & D during the 1958-1969 period has returned $52 billion through 1971 -- and will continue to produce pay offs through 1987, at which time the total pay off will have been $181 billion. The discounted rate of return for this investment will have been 33 percent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

Whats the ROI for the ~$689B spent on defense last year?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

As long as all of this leads up to all the believers offing themselves on 12/22/12, I'm good with it.

What the previous poster didn't mention is that the Solar System will be passing through a cloud of charged particles exciting our atmosphere as well as the Sun creating more violent Solar Flares.

Some good information on what we can expect from severe flare activity.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033564_solar_flares_nuclear_power_plants.html

About the website you linked: NaturalNews.com (formerly Newstarget) is a website founded and owned by self-proclaimed "health ranger" Mike Adams. The site promotes almost every sort of medical woo known, though it specializes in promoting vaccine hysteria[1] and quack cancer medicine[2]. They also promote conspiracy theories which are usually either targeted at modern medicine or geared to gain sympathy for alternative medicine.

Not a very good source, here is a hint, don't quote quacks, quote actual scientific research.

Like most things, I take all of this with a grain of salt and skepticism. What I do find entertaining is how doomsday/conspiracy people promote gold and other precious metals for such a scenario. Gold is essentially the oldest "bubble" in existence, and the only good it is going to do you in the event of the collapse of civilization is provide something heavy to throw at marauders... ;)

Currency only becomes useful when there are some members of society living above sustenance level; if everyone is scrabbling for food, water and shelter shiny rocks, shells or whatever you may have won't be worth a damn.

Maybe that impulse buy I made of the Eotech XPS2-0 on Amazon was a good idea after all (any justification seems to help). I wonder if it would work though.

Back