NAS/Media Storage what to buy??

MissJ84

2[H]4U
So I just moved to Orlando, bought a new TV and am looking for some kind of NAS option to store media (no transcoding needed). I'm fairly sure all I need is an NAS box and some WD Red drives, though I think I'd like to stick to two bays or maybe even one tbh depending on price.

Our setup consists of the following;
Asus AC66U
Samsung Laptop (in my sig) always hooked up to the Ac66U via Lan
WD My Net AC Bridge (Only $70 at Office Depot!) hooked up to the Samsung UN46F6300 TV via Lan

I have no problems streaming 1080P MKV content from my laptop to the TV using Plex Media Server + Plex Client on the TV using the method above, but I have no idea where to begin when it comes to NAS options. Thanks in advance :)

Do you use the laptop as a PMS and PMC or just the PMS? Wouldn't you want a NAS with enough CPU power to run the PMS and transcode matieral to other devices, Plex/Web or mobile devices?

Laptop is only a PMS. I've thought about building an i3 IB/Haswell server, but I think it would be a waste of money. I don't really use the laptop very much or at least no one is streaming while I'm using it, and the i7 3615QM/HD 4000 combo has plenty of CPU power to run PMS, transcode etc.
That said, I am not looking for an expensive NAS with CPU power, but rather something solid for only holding media.

Edit: I used to stream my Plex library from Oklahoma City to my parents' Roku in PA lol, so I can't imagine having problems with an NAS being in between a local setup. I've also seen people on [H] using i3 laptops as PMS to do exactly what I want to do.
Edit 2: I'm open to picking up something more powerful that can transcode 180p MKV on the fly for not too much more than something that will only store, but I have a feeling I'd be looking at at least $700, and then I might as well put an ITX server together lol.

Last edited:
If it were me starting all over again I would look at what this guy has done:

http://thehomeserverblog.com/ (look at his setup and the $500 build in the pop posts on the right)

basically an all in one box that you could expand as needs arise

If not I would look at something like a Synology or QNAP with PMS add-in options

What Liberty said, was basicly going to recommend those same NAS's. Or perhaps just build a cheap whitebox diskserver and run FreeNAS or unRAID - that's what I would do at least, just for future options.

Thanks for the suggestions Liberty and hemmiandra, but I'm still confused about what I'll gain by using a dedicated server vs my laptop hooked up to LAN. I really don't need future expandibility (2-3TB will be way more than enough), so all I can think of is that I might lose some throughput going from NAS -> laptop -> TV instead of NAS -> TV directly. Again, I'm looking for a simple solution and I don't understand the push for dedicated NAS/Server if it works fine now coupled with the fact that I don't need tons of expandibility. If it has to do with throughput then by all means tell me that's why, but if not, I'd really like advice on which storage only QNAP, Synology, or other 2 disk box to pick up. Thanks

I don't understand the push for a dedicated server either but in your case I think a 2 or 4 bay Synology or Qnap would be perfect.

Thank You ashman. I think I've narrowed it down to a Synology DS212j or a QNAP TS-212-US (just missed a deal @ $130), but before I purchase/wait for a deal I had one last question about USB ports. I really don't think I'll use them, but for the sake of making an informed purchase, would it be worthwhile to pick up a model with USB 3 ports? I realize USB throughput is generally a bit lackluster at least connected via a router, but wasn't sure about NAS USB port throughput and wanted to ask before pulling the trigger.
Thanks again :)

I have five NAS's and I've only ever used the USB ports once, so unless you can see yourself doing backups from the NAS to an externally attached USB drive, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have a 4 bay Synology NAS and have yet to use the USB ports at all. Someday maybe but after 4 or 5 years I have yet to need them.

FYI
I didn't test QNAP TS-212-US yet, but as for Synology DS212j, you may get some lag/stutter when you stream 1080p movies.

FYI
I didn't test QNAP TS-212-US yet, but as for Synology DS212j, you may get some lag/stutter when you stream 1080p movies.
Even with zero transcoding from the NAS? (See below)

Thanks for this. After reading up a bit more, I think I'm going to either go with the DS213, TS-221, or wait for Synology to release their DS214 (could be awhile). I'm not in a big hurry to buy, so holding out until a deal pops up for WD reds and one of these NAS won't be a problem.
Thanks again everyone.

I've been using my Synology ds1513+ for a couple months or so now. It does everything I want and more.

I have the Plex media server running on it. As long as I'm not transcoding, it works perfectly but the Atom processor isn't quite enough to transcode 1080p. I've been able to stream content to a roku streaming stick via plex and a PC with no problem. Transfer speeds to the NAS are a solid 100-105mb/s. Very fast and could support multiple simultaneous streams without breaking a sweat.

If you are looking for a more affordable 2 drive version, the DS 713+ might be worth a look. Its compatible with the DX1513 expansion unit if you want to add 5 more drives later.
http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS713+&lang=us

This unit comes with a bit less ram but the same processor etc. as the DS 1513+,

Anyhow that's my $0.02. There are some benefits to building a server but for pure ease of use, easy setup and a platform that seems to always be receiving new updates and features... you really can't go wrong with Synology in my opinion.

Back