NAS connected to desktop using Ethernet crossover with PCIe 10 Gbps?

This thread made me want to burn my quad port intel nic, where i dumped 100$ :(

Now i need DAC :(

So from my understanding, this will be future proof because i can always buy a SFP+ module and throw some fiber to some future switch ?

In the future, esp in homes, I'd expect 10GBASE-T/10GbE to pick up. I ran 10G rated cat6a in my house in preparation. Currently I'm just using single/bonded 1G until 10GbE switches drop in price.

Fiber termination is a real pain in the butt.

Last edited:
I do not expect 10GBase-T to become common for the private market. One thing is higher power usage but what I believe will be the primary reason that 10GBase-T fails is that people get bad cables. A lot of resellers sell CAT6-7 cables that are CAT5e cables. This will lead to confusion and poor performance.

Another reason why SFP+ will be a lot more common, is that 5 years old cards are being dumped for 15 USD. You will most likely NEVER see a 10GBase-T card for that price, not even a used one that is 10 years old.

And did I mention the latency with fiber cables? 100ns... the same latency for accessing RAM on your PC. Think about it.... you can access remote RAM almost as fast local. Think of the possibilities!

I do not expect 10GBase-T to become common for the private market. One thing is higher power usage but what I believe will be the primary reason that 10GBase-T fails is that people get bad cables. A lot of resellers sell CAT6-7 cables that are CAT5e cables. This will lead to confusion and poor performance.

Another reason why SFP+ will be a lot more common, is that 5 years old cards are being dumped for 15 USD. You will most likely NEVER see a 10GBase-T card for that price, not even a used one that is 10 years old.

And did I mention the latency with fiber cables? 100ns... the same latency for accessing RAM on your PC. Think about it.... you can access remote RAM almost as fast local. Think of the possibilities!

I'd love to have fiber in the home, but the fiber and optics are MEGA expensive. Plus with the shitty job many builders do now installing copper, I can only imagine how poor the quality of fiber installs would be.

SFP+ and Twinax are great for wiring up gear in a rack or a single room, but once you expand to multiple rooms it's a whole different ball game. Keep in mind the SPF+ cards are cheap because they don't include the transceiver, once you add an optic it's WAY more expensive than 10GbE.

I wont be surprised if there's an amendment to the 10GbE standard in the next couple years to address the power issue with newer/better ASICs.

Fiber is not expensive. 300 feet from Fiberstore costs around $120. Tranceivers costs $16 USD each. But yeah, installing fiber inside your walls in your home would probably be extremely expensive. I recommend that you do this yourself, much cheaper ;)

What kind of storage do you have backing that?

Plenty of RAM, 2 SSD drives as L2ARC cache and 24 SAS 6TB drives setup as 4x Raidz1. Directly connected to 3 Dell H310 controllers flashed to IT-mode. Using NFS for file transfer.

How much CPU does this require?

Not much really, I did this with an old quadcore AMD Phenom 2

Last edited:
Fiber is not expensive. 300 feet from Fiberstore costs around $120. Tranceivers costs $16 USD each. But yeah, installing fiber inside your walls in your home would probably be extremely expensive. I recommend that you do this yourself, much cheaper ;)

Have you terminated fiber before? It's not really a home project :p

Those prices are cray. Last time I looked OM3/4 MM fiber was VERY expensive and optics were still like 150 for legit Intel.

Last edited:
Have you terminated fiber before? It's not really a home project :p

Those prices are cray. Last time I looked OM3/4 MM fiber was VERY expensive and optics were still like 150 for legit Intel.

You're right that terminating fiber is not a home project. But I will also tell you that terminating CAT6a cables is a lot more work than regular CAT5e.

Fiber can usually be bought in whatever length you wish. Perhaps not exactly at 239 feets

You're right that terminating fiber is not a home project. But I will also tell you that terminating CAT6a cables is a lot more work than regular CAT5e

It's not THAT bad, I've done 12 runs in my house so far. The only difference is trimming off the plastic core after you strip the jacket, punching down the jacks is the same. The only real difference I've found vs cat5e is the cable is stiffer and more annoying to run. But that's 1st gen cat6a, there's a newer standard that changes the jacket style and makes it as flexible as cat6.

Just to clarify my comment on "1st gen Cat6a":

I miss-spoke. Cat6a is Cat6a, what I was trying to remember was that a newer type of cat6a came out called F/UTP, or Foiled UTP. The foil shield allows for a thinner jacket that removes the little spacers that are used in plain cat6a UTP.

This document shows a difference via cross-section that's quite interesting:
https://www.blackbox.com/resource/genpdf/white-papers/cat6a-futp-vs-utp.pdf

F/UTP is still much more expensive but I'm sure it'll become the standard sooner or later.

That is a good informative document. But why get CAT6a, when you can get fiber? 4-5 times less power per port and 20 times less latency. And not to mention all the cheap hardware you can get.

10GBase-T has already lost in the data center, and I really can't see a reason why it should succeed for home use either.

You will have to replace already installed cables, so I believe most people will be happy with just Wifi.

Back