NAS basics

bug

Weaksauce
11.12.02 Most of us have at least one or two older cases and older system components. Seems they could be used to construct a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) . ... I have W7 home and sata2 hd and transferring files between hd can be at 20 (usual) upto a rare 140MBps; at this point i look fwd to getting an uncommon 60MBps. So, looking into a separate system and wanting to avoid $300- $3000 for just moving backups and bulk to storage, seems the answer is converting one of my old cases into a NAS. ... Are there special small form factor motherboards and software needed to construct such, or can one just use a previous OS (Wxp) and the older system for basic archival storage? Those $300 - $3000 NAS really do not seem to transfer data much over 20MB/s. Ideally i would like a mobo that could process three to six sata3 (6GB/s) hd @ 50 - 80MBps with ethernet connection to my existing w7 desktop; the older mobo barely could accept sata1 much less modern sata3, hence why looking for a NAS type mobo instead of an ordinary modern mobo. ... Any feedback is appreciated. (tough to get this forum to respect paragraphs!)

Holy wall of engrish batman.

Check out WHS or if you want free, something like FreeNAS.

No special hardware is needed for such a setup, but yes, WHS or FreeNAS would definitely be a start in terms of OSes.

btw OP, break up your sentences.
It was almost TLDR. ;)

Back