napp-it ZFS Storage appliance for Linux + Solaris

_Gea

Supreme [H]ardness
napp-it on Linux

I support Linux (Debian7, Ubuntu 12 LTS) up from napp-it 0.9e2L
with basic ZFS, disk and job management, monitoring and remote replication from/to Solaris

Restrictions:
Linux is not my preferred or main platform. Many napp-it features rely on Solaris projects like the CIFS server with full Windows SID and ACL support, Comstar iSCSI or Crossbow network virtualisation. A napp-it version with similar functionality like on OmniOS is currently not planned.

current state: first preview, work in progress

more
napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris downloads

Install first preview via
wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit-u | perl

This release is combined Solaris/Linux (please test this release with OmniOS as well)

Last edited:
I think this is a great choice to start supporting Linux with napp-it since we have the OpenZFS initiative now.

I think many new users will start to use ZFS on Linux in the future.

Nice to see you still developing and supporting napp-it, Gea. Always been a big fan. I have a feeling its in use in business and enterprise more than you even realize - and those bums aren't having to pay a dime. That just doesn't seem right!

Yes, I know of many users in medium to large enterprises, universities and schools and even in US authorities.
And yes, napp-it is still hobby as it is not enough to live from. But it is fun to work on.

Any plans to add support for CentOS or SLES in the future?

Napp-it should run.
There are only few dependencies like minihttpd.
Compare the needed settings for Debian or Ubuntu

For myself I do not use CentOS. So you must try yourself.
It would be nice if a success is reported together with a miniHowTo.

Hi _Gea ...

Any ideas why I wouldn't be able to set the admin/operator passwords for napp-it?

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 (x64) and I've configured everything as per the guide on the website.

I've entered new passwords under home > about > settings, but when I logout or restart napp-it, the main login screen is still showing the operator/admin passwords as disabled.

I can type absolutely anything into the password box (including no password at all), and it will still login to either of the admin/operator accounts.

Hi _Gea ...

Any ideas why I wouldn't be able to set the admin/operator passwords for napp-it?

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 (x64) and I've configured everything as per the guide on the website.

I've entered new passwords under home > about > settings, but when I logout or restart napp-it, the main login screen is still showing the operator/admin passwords as disabled.

I can type absolutely anything into the password box (including no password at all), and it will still login to either of the admin/operator accounts.

Confirmed.
There was a problem with the crypt function in Ubuntu
Fixed in napp-it 0.9f1 (Aug 14), update/download newest

Back