"napp-it to go" - preconfigured ZFS server distribution running from USB sticks

_Gea

Supreme [H]ardness
"napp-it to go":
Preconfigured Solaris based ZFS server distribution on USB

I have uploaded first betas of my preconfigured and ready to use napp-it USB ZFS server distributions with OmniOS (newest ZFS Version 5000 and LZ4 compress), CIFS, NFS , AFP, iSCSI Comstar and Xampp.

-> Download
-> Clone it (use attached Software to a 16 GB USB Stick)
-> Boot it - Management via Web-UI

Supported hardware (my personal top 4 for a ZFS server)
- USB Image, ready to use, HP Microserver (SoHo, Backup und Mediaserver)
- USB Image, ready to use, Supermicro X9SCL/1155 (max 32GB RAM, 2-4 Core, 17W Xeon, Medium size, All-In-One)
- USB Image, ready to use, Supermicro X9SRL/Single 2011 (max 256GB RAM, 2-6 Core, Premium Server, All-In-One)
- USB Image, ready to use, Supermicro X9DRL/Dual 2011 (max 256GB RAM, 4-12 Core, High End Server, All-In-One)

download: napp-it.org

Update 18.3.:

new USB image Release 2013a (13a)
- Mediatomb included
- libgcrypt included (needed for netatalk 3.02)

comments welcome!

I just tried out napp-it to go, but my HP Microserver won't recognize any storage media in the upper front USB port. It will boot the OmniOS loader from any other USB port, including the internal port, but fails within seconds of displaying the SunOS lines. I am guessing that the kernel can't find c0t0d0s0, or something like that.

What is involved in changing the boot location? I wanted to use the internal port and one of the rear ports anyway. Can I boot the image up someplace else and change where SunOS looks for the USB drive? Or should I just do a fresh install of OI and napp-it?

For what it is worth, the upper front USB port works fine for keyboards, mice, even a CDROM, but none of the 4 flash drives I tried are recognized as storage devices.

The "napp-it to Go" image is prepared for the upper front USB slot (set boot order in bios).
But you can do a regular install, configure your network and install napp-it and the
needed add-ons onto any other USB port.

You can then image your USB stick for backup (this is your individual USB image).
I would suggest to ZFS mirror the stick anyway for best performance and reliabilty.

Back