nano ips and blacks, is it worse than other ips

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have seen reviews stating blacks suck on nano ips, however I expect this is because they are comparing to VA and OLED.

For people who are already used to IPS, the question isnt answered in those reviews, are black in nano IPS worse than normal expected black levels for IPS? as I am already used to IPS, and happy enough with my blacks, is it expected I will be ok with blacks on nano IPS?

My current display the reviewer rated the contrast ratio at just 400:1 so the 880:1 on the nano IPS displays which is rated as poor, would actually also be an improvement, for me, so I am looking at the perspective vs what I got rather than vs VA/OLED.

Well I now have the LG850 nano IPS panel.

Conclusion? its absolutely fine, cant really tell the difference on the naked eyes vs my older screen.

Also I took a photo of the screen on a black screen.

Then uploaded it and looked at it, and it is super over exposed with a grey effect, so cameras are not a good way to show this, as they make it look much worse than it is.

On the second image you see my shadow outline, and room light reflection at top of screen (yes was no reflection visible to me at all), at the naked eye both were not visible as the shadow itself was no darker than the screen, and my naked eye doesnt have the exposure of a camera, which goes to show how bad cameras are for trying to show how black monitors look.

The first image it shows how the black background on my reddit theme, is much darker then a photo of my monitor showing black (viewed on the same screen I took a photo off). Now I get you looking at a screenshot but that differential is what I see on my screen.

Attachments

• exposureissues.png
    exposureissues.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
  • hkRsGiB.jpg
    hkRsGiB.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
The biggest issue with the screen really is the wide gamut. The general consensus seems to be people like saturated colors and only HDR matters, the display does have sRGB which makes it useable for tv/movie content, but it still isnt the same as a sRGB native screen.

If I play a game with HDR, it works well (even though the consoles dont support this screen, I can do it via a HDR capture device) and I do like HDR as it does proper color mapping.

The problem with saturated reds and greens on SDR is they look out of place. Very grateful I brught the nano ips panel that comes with sRGB mode.

I am working on a custom tune for the gamer1 mode which looks better than the shipped gamer1, reds are tamed but not greens yet,.

Back