Nancy Pelosi: US Government Created iPhone, Not Steve Jobs Or Apple

While it's true that a lot of our tech and advancements come from government research IE: War and defense. Everything was borrowed from something else. Henry Ford didn't invent the wheel that he put on his model T.
The government didn't create the Iphone and make Apple a multi national billion dollar company, Apple did. If we are to go that route, then i guess the United States owes Hitler and the Nazis a great debt for all that research they "borrowed" from them too.

Weekend news posts are the worst. Not really a fan of Tsing bringing so much politics onto the [H]

I don't understand the point of this article.

Government trying to justify the small amount of continued relevance they have left in a commercial world, plus a time where people are sick of voting for the same shit no matter who they choose.

Only people who 'win' are on EBT.

Heh

And I own thx to the US government for the pans I use every day

It's nasa's research into Teflon (although it's a myth)
Thx government

On a serious note though
Yes we all know governments funds research
That's why cellphones work in the first place
Without satellites no easy communication
Sure sure
There's lots of stuff

Now
If she's saying that the government funded everything it ever did and always will for the good of humanity, I'd call that a lie

So in the end who cares who originally funded it's research
Just because you have that awesome tech lying around does not mean it's useful, at least until someone comes around and does something good with it

But hey
If it gets a politician into the light for a few seconds why not
Pfft

He's correct. Pretty much every modern technology we use today was funded with your tax dollars. Universities are basically publicly funded R&D labs, and DARPA primarily researches tech 30 years or so ahead of it's viability.

Most stuff that's awesome these days have been invented by military funding/research
Heck look at the Internet

Does not mean a politician running around saying the obvious deserves my thx
Nor does the government deserve my thx for using my taxes to do research

I pay taxes so they do something useful with it and don't blow it on politicians mistresses

I'm glad my taxes here in Germany fund free education way up to master degrees
As well as research into all kinds of stuff
Still doesn't mean I'm grateful to politicians
It's not the government who does anything
Its researches at different labs(these days all around the globe together) getting paid by the common folk (taxes)

Government of the people, by the people

Weekend news posts are the worst. Not really a fan of Tsing bringing so much politics onto the [H]

Why? This is a feature of the unvarnished truth that people who defend government get to see from someone like Pelosi. She's literally telling the plebes, the unwashed, the peons beneath her (aka all of us) that government is the wellspring of the prosperity, technological or otherwise, that you get enjoy under their ever watchful eye and benevolence.

Did a lot of these technologies start with the government?

Sure.

But if we left it up to the government alone, portable phones would still look like this:

PRODPIC-393.jpg

Did a lot of these technologies start with the government?

Sure.

But if we left it up to the government alone, portable phones would still look like this:

PRODPIC-393.jpg

Government invents hardly a thing. They ask for something and contract it out.

No one knows what ultra secret phone the government had way back when. Maybe she's right?

maxwell_smart_with_shoe_phone.jpg

without reading this i know they took the tv bandwidth and spit it up for the phone campaniles and gave tv the higher bandwidth that sucks if you cant get it but great if you can. reasons is they could not track you with the satellites signal that came out first but could with 3 points of a wifi system. she is talking about tracking you.

Terrible headline for the post and not accurately reflective of what Pelosi had to say. What she said, for those that actually took the time to watch the video and listen, is not that the government created the iPhone or smartphones, but that government research in areas from military to space to science is what gave rise to the technology that makes what we know as smartphones possible. The LED, the GPS, the internet and on and on. And she's right. Private enterprise took these technologies that government invested in and made practical and used them in heretofore not previously possible ways. The post and many of the comments here remind me of nothing so much as the entirely made up claim that Al Gore said he "invented the internet" which was never a true claim. (What Gore said, correctly was "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." And it's true. Gore pushed for funding for what he was then calling "the information superhighway" and fought hard to get it against people in congress who just could not imagine what he was getting at. And you know who says Gore was right? Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf do. And if you don't know who these men are, then you have no business replying to this comment.)

Pelosi was right. Government investment in research across many fronts laid the foundation which has made the modern smartphone possible.

Can I turn around and say that the government couldn't have invented any of that shit if it wasn't for John Q Taxpayer being able to pony up for the research in the first place, so yeah fuck that bitch, I invented GPS by all accounts!!! Even if predates my birth!
I think that was the point. We worship corporations in this country, everyone goes on about how the corps provide everything and the government can't do anything right. Yet the corporations rarely ever do the basic research or develop the foundations for products, thats left to government funded labs instead. The corps build their products on top of government funded research, and then spend billions of dollars avoiding paying the taxes that funded that research in the first place.

If government research is so important she could be a hero and resign, saving the government valuable money that could be used for cancer research.

Be the hero we need, Pelosi!

The government created the technology? Spoken like a true Communist. This is America Nancy Pelosi. You are not speaking to North Koreans.

I think that was the point. We worship corporations in this country, everyone goes on about how the corps provide everything and the government can't do anything right. Yet the corporations rarely ever do the basic research or develop the foundations for products, thats left to government funded labs instead. The corps build their products on top of government funded research, and then spend billions of dollars avoiding paying the taxes that funded that research in the first place.

That's the whole problem. Government and corporations are just two pillars of our society in the US. Neither one, alone, is getting the job done, but between both of them we have cobbled together something that sort of works.

Corporations are beholden to their share holders. They need to turn profits quarterly. Every expense can be scrutinized and criticized. Even at the most successful companies, it can be corporate suicide to embark on a 5, 10 or 15 year research project, not knowing if it will lead to a bankable technology. The government, however, can fund those long term projects. The ultimate return on investment is an improved economy and greater tax base.

Without long term research and investment, we'd be stuck in a myopic world where no one cares about anything further in the future than next month.

Pretty much ALL the stuff in a modern phone/PC uses tech developed on Federal dollars. All business does is commercialize Federal research into products.

The underlying technology was researched by DARPA back in the 80's. Companies have been refining that underlying tech for 30 years, but the first steps were performed using Federal dollars.

LCD's were a 70's DARPA invention. Samsung and Co simply figured out how to mass produce them at a low enough cost to make a profit.

GPS was first and foremost a military tech. It wasn't until Clinton allowed public use of the more accurate location detection that GPS became accurate enough to be viable in the way we use it today.

He's correct. Pretty much every modern technology we use today was funded with your tax dollars. Universities are basically publicly funded R&D labs, and DARPA primarily researches tech 30 years or so ahead of it's viability.

negative

Transistor = Bell Laboratories
Modern CPU = Intel/Texas Instruments
CD = Sony (mid 60's)
Cars = People like Henry Ford
Airplanes = Wright brothers
Radio = Marconi
Speech Synthesis = Texas Instruments

and the list goes on and on and on

Must. BE something wrong with her gallbladder or she is a zombie.She is still stupid.

negative

Transistor = Bell Laboratories
Modern CPU = Intel/Texas Instruments
CD = Sony (mid 60's)
Cars = People like Henry Ford
Airplanes = Wright brothers
Radio = Marconi
Speech Synthesis = Texas Instruments

and the list goes on and on and on

Thank goodness, you saved me a lot of typing. Nancy Pelosi is full of crap. A vast majority of these things were not in fact developed by "government", but in fact were developed by corporate laboratories such as Bell Labs, RCA, IBM, and the like.

The ones I caught in that clip were:

GPS -This is the sole entratn on this list that could be accurately credited as government funded and developed. Although the conecpts were borrowed from earlier systems, it took several government agencies to build and deploy this system.

Flat Screen -Not specific enough. From Wiki:

The first engineering proposal for a flat panel TV was by General Electric as a result of its work on radar monitors.[when?] Their publication of their findings gave all the basics of future flat panel TVs and monitors. But GE did not continue with the R&D required and never built a working flat panel at that time.[1]

The first production flat panel display was the Aiken tube, developed in the early 1950s and produced in limited numbers in 1958. This saw some use in military systems as a heads up display, but conventional technologies overtook its development. Attempts to commercialize the system for home television use ran into continued problems and the system was never released commercially.[2] The Philco Predicta featured a relatively flat (for its day) cathode ray tube setup and would be the first commercially released "flat panel" upon its launch in 1958; the Predicta was a commercial failure.

The plasma display panel was invented in 1964 at the University of Illinois, according to The History of Plasma Display Panels.[3]

The first-ever active-matrix addressed display was made by T Peter Brody's Thin-Film Devices department at Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1968.[4]

In 1977, James P Mitchell prototyped and later demonstrated what was perhaps the earliest monochromatic flat panel LED television display LED Display.

As of 2012, 50% of global market share in flat panel display (FPD) production is by Taiwanese manufacturers such as AU Optronics and Chimei Innolux Corporation.

LLD - ? LCD? LED? Development of the LCD dates back to 1888, with the first practical application in 1936, developed by Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company. LEDs developed thanks to RCA and Texas Instruments.

Digital Camera - Steven Sasson as an engineer at Eastman Kodak invented and built the first electronic camera using a charge-coupled device image sensor in 1975.

Wireless data compression -This one isn't specific enough, but I guarantee you some fine folks at Bell Labs, RCA, Ericsson, Nortel, Siemens, and the like would love to have a word.

Voice recognition - Bell Labs was researching this going back to 1932. They quit in 1969, but in 71 DARPA threw up some money, although they were disappointed with the final results 5 years later. In the following years, many other companies like IBM, Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Apple research it and continue to this day.

"Huurrr durrr fuck the gubbernment" says a bunch of dipshits that never invented anything. Next in the news, water is wet.

"Huurrr durrr fuck the gubbernment" says a bunch of dipshits that never invented anything. Next in the news, water is wet.

Not sure who you're addressing or how this should be responded to, or if it really should be responded to at all.

Nancy Pelosi, the Minority Leader and former Speaker of the house, made claims in a speech about how the technological underpinnings of the iPhone were almost all made with federal research dollars. However, the statement is incorrect.

I can say that she is wrong and still understand that there are indeed many things which have been developed by people in Federal employ. Once you understand what it is the Federal Government does and who the largest agencies are, then the development of science begins to fit certain patterns - the Department of Defense is the largest single government agency, and most direct government science goes towards military specific or dual use purposes.

The field of telecommunications however was founded by private inventors and private companies, and the overwhelming majority of the technological advances in that field are funded by private dollars.

Right, just like how Al Gore created the Internet! Governments are always behind major new inventions!

Not sure who you're addressing or how this should be responded to, or if it really should be responded to at all.

Nancy Pelosi, the Minority Leader and former Speaker of the house, made claims in a speech about how the technological underpinnings of the iPhone were almost all made with federal research dollars. However, the statement is incorrect.

I can say that she is wrong and still understand that there are indeed many things which have been developed by people in Federal employ. Once you understand what it is the Federal Government does and who the largest agencies are, then the development of science begins to fit certain patterns - the Department of Defense is the largest single government agency, and most direct government science goes towards military specific or dual use purposes.

The field of telecommunications however was founded by private inventors and private companies, and the overwhelming majority of the technological advances in that field are funded by private dollars.
Actually the technologies she cites were partially or fully funded through government research grants or just directly through govt. engineers. Also this was a meeting for the DNC about the DNC platform, and she was trying to make a point about the government spending money on basic research for technology. She makes this point by citing previous research efforts led by government money and demonstrating that those make up an integral part of the phone. This is so that even people who don't understand how technology gets made can see that they use the technology everyday and it's important to continue to support the government spending research dollars. Doesn't sound too controversial to me. I mean, you can say all you want about 'private' money and 'private' companies, but the reality is a lot - maybe not all or even the majority but a lot - of the work gets done with partial or full govt. funding. It just does. I do research in Electrical Engineering. That's how it works.

I mean, I'm not going to go through your whole list, but just for instance the 'digital camera' thing is wrong. Sure, CCD may not have been 'invented' by the government, but I'm pretty damn sure iPhones use CMOS sensors, which were invented at NASA. Also, just because someone 'invented' something doesn't mean that we use the same version today. After a lot of these things were invented, the government dumped money into funding research at universities to advance the technologies.

Last edited:
The Minority Leader would have you know that everything in the iPhone came from federal investments and research. Voice recognition, GPS, and flat screens were also all government ideas.

"The late Steve Jobs and the team at Apple that made the iPhone would be the first to tell you that they didn't invent many of its core technologies we now take for granted," he said. "Leader Pelosi counted Steve Jobs as friend and meant no disrespect to his legacy, but the point she was making is a valid one. Leader Pelosi believes that Steve Jobs and his colleagues at Apple, deserve enormous credit for taking federally-backed innovations off the shelf, refining them, commercializing them and turning them into a beautiful device that changed the world."

There is virtually nothing that has ever come out of that woman's mouth that wasn't bat shit fucking crazy. How that cunt keeps getting elected to political office is beyond my understanding, and frankly diminishes my faith in the human race and the quality of the universe's design.

Sorry, I can't sound Pelosi. I guess you can give credit that some of the stuff was funded by federal dollars - but companies refined them, and commercialized them. Voice recognition in use today was not developed by the government. Ask Amazon, Google, Apple, and the many other companies that have been refining/researching it for decades. Same with flat screen - Samsung, LG, Viewsonice, Philips, ... - really? GPS satellites are funded by the fed - to my knowledge, there are no commercial satellites that provide GPS information.
I recall Obama telling people they didn't make the business by themselves. The government helped them. Such bullshit.

Sorry it's not bullshit. She's probably referencing this.

iphone%20technology%20military%20funding%20chart%20png.png

Most of the technologies we enjoy often started off as military projects. That big budget isn't for nothing. Hate her if you want to but at least understand the reality of the situation.

Sorry it's not bullshit. She's probably referencing this.

iphone%20technology%20military%20funding%20chart%20png.png

Most of the technologies we enjoy often started off as military projects. That big budget isn't for nothing. Hate her if you want to but at least understand the reality of the situation.
Just because she has a reference to go on still doesn't mean she's right. As flashoverride pointed out above, liquid-crystal displays were pioneered by RCA in 1964, while liquid crystals were first discovered in 1888 by Friedrich Reinitzer. The IEEE credits George H. Heilmeier, who was working with RCA labs at the time, with the invention of LCD in 1968.
Milestones:Liquid Crystal Display, 1968 - Engineering and Technology History Wiki

Other tech in that image:
  • Cellular technology was conceptualized by Bell Laboratories in 1947, and they installed the first cellular network in the US in 1978.
  • DRAM was developed by IBM in 1964.
  • Intel introduced the first microprocessor in 1971, based on concepts developed by Texas Instruments.
  • Signal compression in wireless transmission was pioneered by Thomas Cover at Stanford in 1973.
The "click-wheel" and "micro" hard drive is debatable, but I'll give them the rest.

I am not a fan of Pelosi and not defending anything she does or says. However, most government projects, whether research or operations, are public domain and cannot be patented by the government. So the government will start something, like say a new form of Forward Error Correction or FEC, and lets call it Low Density Parity Check or LDPC, where some math person figured out a better way to do FEC. He/she wrote up the math and we put it into an initial project, say a satellite transmission system, for a NASA/USGS/NOAA satellite. Now the person who wrote this or one of their colleagues decides to leave NASA and start their own company using the LDPC as a selling point for better FEC on communication links. This person can now patent a chip or something that would do this for cell phones or whatever. blah blah blah, years later, it looks like that one person who left NASA developed or created the better FEC, but it is not necessarily the case. It may have been a bigger and better version, vision or idea, but generally from the same spawn point. Happens all the time.

Just because she has a reference to go on still doesn't mean she's right. As flashoverride pointed out above, liquid-crystal displays were pioneered by RCA in 1964, while liquid crystals were first discovered in 1888 by Friedrich Reinitzer. The IEEE credits George H. Heilmeier, who was working with RCA labs at the time, with the invention of LCD in 1968.
Milestones:Liquid Crystal Display, 1968 - Engineering and Technology History Wiki

Other tech in that image:
  • Cellular technology was conceptualized by Bell Laboratories in 1947, and they installed the first cellular network in the US in 1978.
  • DRAM was developed by IBM in 1964.
  • Intel introduced the first microprocessor in 1971, based on concepts developed by Texas Instruments.
  • Signal compression in wireless transmission was pioneered by Thomas Cover at Stanford in 1973.
The "click-wheel" and "micro" hard drive is debatable, but I'll give them the rest.
You're missing the point. They were 'invented' by private companies, but in many cases advanced and inspired by government needs and often under government contracts. For example, the semiconductor technology behind the transistor was developed due to a need for special radar mixers.

How that *BLLEEEEEPPP* keeps getting elected to political office is beyond my understanding, and frankly diminishes my faith in the human race and the quality of the universe's design.
Nancy is part of US Congressional District 12 which is entirely contained in San Francisco, CA. Don't believe me? Check here. The other two congressional districts in San Francisco are also Democratic.

Back