Name your domain/server naming scheme.

atlrocks07

Limp Gawd
Where i work our domain is call..theforce and we name our server after star war characters..

My home is kinda all over the place, I don't really have a standard. My main server is called Borg. The VMs on it are descriptive on what they do, so not really any fancy names. I have a physical server that I will be using for SCADA stuff, it's called hal9000. (kinda fitting) and the rest like network stuff is named after what it's for. So firewall.loc for my firewall, router.loc for one router, router2.loc for the other etc...

Whenever I decide to do a full blown virtualization environment with multiple servers I'll probably use a cool name scheme for each physical server, and then name the actual VMs after their normal function.

Minor nitpick: .loc is not reserved for local use, .local is.

With the current madness I wouldn't count on any TLD to not be in use in the future, so better use only those who are now explicitly reserved for private use.

Clients registered domain name...but .local

Server names....depends. Sometimes I try to name to match some funny words that relate to the business. Example..at a healthcare agency, I have their SBS box called "headnurse". At an oil delivery company, their server is called "tanker". Sometimes I was not creative...and just went with a name like "clients name-sbs"...or based on purpose..like "clients name-exch".

For networks with more servers....I've done themes like "moons 'n planets...neptune, pluto, io, I've done characters from comins...like calvin 'n hobbs. I've done animals, military alphabet,

depends

If its me setting it up I like .local but I have seen .corp.domainname

dc1 , dc 2 etc for the head office then citydc1, citydc2 for remote office locations

Siteprefix
-
function
-
2 digit incremental number for the function

eg somewhere-apps-01

Ours at work is our appreviation for our health region. We are also a sub-forest along with ~ 12 other domains so we have region.hin.sk.ca for our domain name. Our servers we name for their function. IE regionex01 regiondc02, etc.

I usually use, "city-function-environment-number".

For example, in boston, bostldapp01 (boston, ldap, production, number)

At home its always been: games
Server/computer names:" nas-sys" for main file server and shorten manufacture name for laptops.

Work places domains, I use shortencompanyname.local
As for server names, it'll be based on role or OS. Ex: DC1, TS1 (Terminal server). Win2008SBS....and so on. Not very clever.

Here's how I prefer to do it

Function - Location - Incremental #

For example App1-FLA-01 The 1st Application server in Florida

It helps for manual trackdown and issues management. Naming PC's after their users annoys me, and makes me wanna nerd rage.

Server names for me are: location code ( based on street address. So Dale Rd becomes da ), - function code ( Domain Controller becomes dc ) - number of server fulfilling this role.

So at my dale rd location, if I have three domain controllers, it's da-dc-1, da-dc-2, da-dc-3. File servers look like this: da-fs-1

As most servers are pressed in to double duty, I usually take the most important role and use that in the name.

lately I've been trying to do companyname-function-location-number for server. Before that it was just naming them based on purpose. Our File server was named Store.. Our camera server was just named Axis. It works

At home, names of sci-fi characters or alien races

work

<site code><ostype><number>. Nothing to indicate what the server does beyond its OS type by just looking at its name

My servers are Greek god names except for my virtual servers, which follow a conventional server naming scheme.

For example, the DC is companyname server, the tc is companyname ts2011, etc.

Zeus is my big server here, then at the house I have ares and atlas. I have another server I am going to name johngalt.

My virtual machines at the house are named frodo, scooter, etc. My desktop is named fsk.

Our domain is usa.countryname. If I ever migrate it again, I am going to change it to tjge(the John Galt Express).

At home my machines are all countries

ex:
File Server: Canada
CentOS VM: Germany
Desktop:Greenland
Netbook: Iceland

Router: Sweden
Switch: Norway
AP: Finland
AP2: Denmark

Slightly functional for Canada is my storage, and is a big country. Russia will be my next File Server. :p

Minor nitpick: .loc is not reserved for local use, .local is.

With the current madness I wouldn't count on any TLD to not be in use in the future, so better use only those who are now explicitly reserved for private use.

.loc is shorter. :p If ever there actually is a TLD .loc then I'll probably change it, if I actually run into an issue.

Our domain is called AD

AD.(tld name).org

Our servers are
three digit location
-
function
number

bal-dc1
bal-dc2
brn-vs1 (virtual server host)

I have actually seen environments like that. 15 digit random alpha numeric names. Such a pain when I worked at helpdesk lol. .

well, for user desktops it went like this First letter of first name, last name 03D. 03D being 2003 domain (Pre 2008 merge)

Servers were sort of all over, each group had different stuff, one used baseball team names, one used the simpsons characters, things like that.

I currently use 'pseudo.lan' as my local domain name,

pretty much "whatever I want" naming scheme, no standards setted up.

My router (ClearOS): 'gw.pseudo.lan'.
My Linux Arch Desktop: 'hellraiser.pseudo.lan',
etc..

To be honest, I couldn't care less if someone decides to create the .lan extension, the chance that someone actually registers pseudo.lan and those subdomains is small.

Even smaller is the chance that I'll have to visit those domains one days (then I mean, the registered domains).

2 characters times 200 or so places I'd have to edit to change it. :p
So not only didn't you research before "planning" your network, you executed it so poorly that you'd have to change the domain in 200 places?!

So not only didn't you research before "planning" your network, you executed it so poorly that you'd have to change the domain in 200 places?!

What was there to research, this is a home network, I just wanted .loc so that's what I did, and why would I want to change it? So I started creating the zones on a as needed bassis. I could technically use a tool to go through all the zone files and change it that way I suppose, but why would I want to change it in first place? And it's not just the zones, but any intranet page that may point to another part of the network, desktop shortcuts, etc...

Any situation, even in the most high end network, where something is changed, obviously any references also have to be updated. It's just common sense.

Well, at school, we use a naming convention like <registration type><reg. number><userid>.<domain type>.<TLD> for example r01johndoe.managed.example.com.

the reg types we use are:
r - standard desktop machine
rt - traveling desktop (laptop)
rv - virtual desktop (VDI)

then we have domain types like:
managed - campus-managed machines
device - personally-owned machines
prn - printers

At the place where i interned, their naming convention was like <userid><number> for desktops, and then it was <site code><os><app name><environment><increment>.<Domain> for example: stlwsqlprd01.na.ds.<company domain name>

I don't understand why people put the actual username as part of the hostname. Unless that person is a lifer eventually you'll have someone else sitting there.

If the person moves, the machine moves with them. If the person leaves, then you keep the drives and replace them when refurbishing the machine, or replace everything anyway.

I don't understand why people put the actual username as part of the hostname. Unless that person is a lifer eventually you'll have someone else sitting there.

Well, whenever we do have a new person come in, we just rename the host in our network database, and then run our rename script on the client. The reason we do this is so we can keep track of which machines belong to which users.

We recently switched to a boring naming convention. Location+Type+Number OFDC01 Office domain controller 1 borrrrrring..

We used to do the pluto, zeus, freya route.. planets at one point too.

Our old standard at my office was environment-location-function-OS-#... so prdcgyappw01

My standard at home:
function-#

minecraft01
primarydc01
exchstore01

Our new standard is sort of like my home standard... dropped the location code because we are moving to a less geo-centric model.... still trying to get them to drop the environment code, because servers that are in different environments are also in different domains, so why would I need to call a server prdcgyappw01.env.prd when I could just call it financeapp01.env.prd when the domain tells you which environment it's in...

Servers I colo'd used to be named after stars. (Aldebaran, Deneb, Fomalhaut, etc.) Servers at home were named after famous explorers. (Cartier, Magellan) I worked at a place where the local servers were named after tropical birds (Toucan, Macaw, Parakeet) and the ones in the datacenter were named after famous astronomers. (Hoyle, Hawking, Kepler, Hubble)

These days, I name machines after their physical appearance. My favorite is a Macbook Pro with the screen removed named "Silverback."

Well, whenever we do have a new person come in, we just rename the host in our network database, and then run our rename script on the client. The reason we do this is so we can keep track of which machines belong to which users.
/facepalm

/facepalm

hey, when one asks a dumb question, one should expect a dumb answer. besides, if someone doesn't know their hostname, at least we can easily look up their machine name using their userid...but sometimes they don't even know that *facepalm*

hey, when one asks a dumb question, one should expect a dumb answer. besides, if someone doesn't know their hostname, at least we can easily look up their machine name using their userid...but sometimes they don't even know that *facepalm*

We just label the computers with the hostname and we also use bginfo to display it on the desktop. Even our stupidest uesrs usually find the hostname within 30 secs. We also label the description in AD with the user or purpose of the computer.

Back