Name what you use for artwerk

Photoshop, and (of all things) an old Maya for Irix on the O2. I really need to spend more time with maya, though.
Flash MX, too, and inkscape.

ghostscript for graphic design
Photo manipulation in xv & gimp
dd for audio manipulation
plus cc as needed...

Inkscape for SVG.
The GIMP 2.0 for image clean up and manipulation.
Photoshop Elements whenever I can use it on my school machines.

BillLeeLee said:
Inkscape for SVG.
The GIMP 2.0 for image clean up and manipulation.
Photoshop Elements whenever I can use it on my school machines.

Inkscape is the attempt at a free replacement for Illistrator, right?
How far along is it? Stability? Features?

GIMP (Image Manipulation)
Irfanview (Scaling, Cropping, Compression, Batch Scanning, Renaming)
Inkscape (SVG)
Audacity (Audio Cleanup, etc)
Ulead Video Studio 6 SE (Video, Came With My FireWire/USB2.0 Combo Card)
VirtualDub (Video Compression, Video Rotation)

Inkscape has come a ways from the previous versions to become much more useful. It still produces some crazy aliased images, so I usually export at 2x or 4x the resolution, and scale it down in high quality with Irfanview. BTW, my drawing tool of choice is bezier curves. :D

Photoshop. IrfanView for "quick and dirty" little jobs.

shieldforyoureyes said:
Inkscape is the attempt at a free replacement for Illistrator, right?
How far along is it? Stability? Features?

It's for making scalable vector graphics yes, but it has a long way to go. It seems pretty limited in terms of features, but it's still a relatively young program.

Also, it's not very stable (I'm using version 0.37) and randomly crashes, but it serves my purposes.

I editted logo.sys (Windows 95 splash screen) in MSPaint. It took a few hours mainly manually blending pixels so it looked legit. It was beautiful, said "Winblows" and looked real professional, no real faults or anything. I was proud.

Photoshop CS
Illstrator CS
3DS Max 6.0
sometimes I use Flash for making vector graphics them export them to Illustrator for touchups.

After Effects, Photoshop and Flash MX mostly, but I also use 3DS MAX, plasma and a little bit of Swift 3d. Also, I was wondering what "Ghostscript" is when I saw that shieldforyoureyes uses it... anyone?

shakenbake said:
After Effects, Photoshop and Flash MX mostly, but I also use 3DS MAX, plasma and a little bit of Swift 3d. Also, I was wondering what "Ghostscript" is when I saw that shieldforyoureyes uses it... anyone?

It's a free postscript interpreter. Reads in postscript files,
outputs a viariety of image file formats, or printer control
formats. I do graphic design by programming raw postscript.

juntao said:
3DS Max, Photoshop and Combustion. i use many others, but not regularly

How is Combustion?
I can't afford it anytime this decade, and I don't need it, so I'm just curious. :)

3d studio max
Flash
Photoshop
After Effects
Final Cut Pro (for video)
illustrator
Image Ready

HHunt said:
How is Combustion?
I can't afford it anytime this decade, and I don't need it, so I'm just curious. :)

it's good. but i haven't really used other compositing programs so i can't compare it to anything. also, it's not that stable in a work environment. at least version 3 isn't. other than that it's pretty straight forward to use.

i didn't think i needed combustion either. but now that i've been using it for about a year, i can't imagine doing 3D without it.
it also understands rpf information. so it can quickly do motion blur, depth of field, and few other things max takes forever to do.

Primarily, for me, Photoshop 7.

I have experience, however, in Macromedia Freehand, 3dsm, Lightwave, and After Effects...

(/me loves having G5's and tons of art programs at school, and a monster rig with Photochop at home. :D)

Back