NAEP Tests: Girls Outscore Boys In IT Literacy

think racism would show it's head when you start drawing conclusion on the data based solely on race.

That's a very interesting comment if you really think about it. What if you lived in a city where just about all whites you met were idiots. Based on life experience, you could assume most whites are dumb. That's not racist.

That's a very interesting comment if you really think about it. What if you lived in a city where just about all whites you met were idiots. Based on life experience, you could assume most whites are dumb. That's not racist.

Would anyone who had the same experiences think differently?

You AND I both live in this same city from your example. Why would either of us think any differently when this has been our shared experience?

Of course, someone with different experiences might have something to say to us.

I would hope they would give us a chance to explain ourselves. "Hey man, were just a couple of white crackas, what do we know"

I suppose, when it comes down to it, it will all depend on whether people will assume the worst of you when you are wrong about things and ignorant. Can someone accept that you just don't know any different and give you a chance to learn better?

I don't think I see a lot of this kind of understanding and acceptance when it comes to people who just don't know better. Too many judge others by their own experiences and while that's really understandable as well, I think people need to learn to make adjustments for others who have different experiences because those experiences shape our concepts.

Last edited:
Let's not also forget that brain maturity is achieved at a younger age in females than males. I believe females hit their peak around ages 12-16 <snip>
Yes, and, judging by the topics I hear the women discuss the most, the problem is that they stop there.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But how is stating facts racist? Even intellectual blacks admit to the cultural pressures.

It was just a little aggressive my man, I get facts are facts (hence my reference to flynn effect). It's not just cultural pressures, the flynn effect takes into consideration the effect of things like a generation of slavery. Inherently the environmental factors from lack of education puts that group in a disadvantage. I'm not saying let's bend over, just pointing out that the statistics should be expected and we don't need to throw anyone "under the bus."

Actually I don't think it's racists to say that the results of a statistical analysis turned out how you would have predicted.

I think it just means a person has a clear view of how things are, regardless of cause.

I think racism would show it's head when you start drawing conclusion on the data based solely on race.

I just responded to Nuke with basically what you posted. I was merely commenting on the presentation of his comment was a little aggressive (meaning a little racist). My point of referring to the Flynn effect was just reinforcing that there are environmental factors in play that support the statistics - possibly out of the control of the uneducated.

Yea that's cool.

I confess ignorance, never heard of the Flynn effect.

It is unlikely unless the scores are out of a small possible total.

Which begs the question, if we haven't fixed STEM awareness/preparedness/whatever for girls, and they are outscoring the boys, why is there some kind of STEM educational crisis for girls being played up?

Who knows? But I'm sure whatever answer is posed next will involve someone else doing something to them rather than accepting that they are capable of, and DO make their own decisions.
could be that girls are good at the ideas involved they just aren't getting into the fields as a result there is a big percentage of good talent that is not being utilized

Back