n00bie motherboard question.

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM

My User Name Is Stoopid
I am buying a new motherboard for my HP m7060n comp. The motherboard has 2 be microATX and LGA 775 Socket with SATA and a PCI-E x16. Someone gave me a link and it shows these motherboards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lue=705:9908,757:7619&bop=and&srchInDesc=ddr2

I decided to go with the first one but I have some questions before buying this. Ok:
1. Are motherboards hard to install??
2. How do I remove all the stuff like connectors and plugs from my old motherboard?
3. How do I put the stuff back on the new motherboard (Like the processor)
4. Are there any tips so I don't mess up? Please help me with this, I don't want to screw up.
5. What should I do after I install it? Like when I boot up windows what will happen?

If you have any tips/tricks please feel free to tell me them.

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM said:
I am buying a new motherboard for my HP m7060n comp. The motherboard has 2 be microATX and LGA 775 Socket with SATA and a PCI-E x16. Someone gave me a link and it shows these motherboards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lue=705:9908,757:7619&bop=and&srchInDesc=ddr2

I decided to go with the first one but I have some questions before buying this. Ok:
2. How do I remove all the stuff like connectors and plugs from my old motherboard?
4. Are there any tips so I don't mess up? Please help me with this, I don't want to screw up.
5. What should I do after I install it? Like when I boot up windows what will happen?

:eek: Try this I would fix for free.

Sorry but I feel uncomfortable doing this:
"You can forward your PC and parts to me with the money to ship back, and I will fix it for free."
You could take my PC and screw with it so no thanks.

That was the message qbackin sent me.

Sorry but I feel uncomfortable doing this:
"You can forward your PC and parts to me with the money to ship back, and I will fix it for free."
You could take my PC and screw with it so no thanks.

That was the message qbackin sent me.

Wow so much for trying to be nice. You want the hard road?
You do NOT belong anywhere near a PC. You probably shouldn't own one.
Go back to CrapUSA where you bought it for $2000, and pay them another $350 for them to "screw" with it. Have a good day.

/rant
:rolleyes:

noob.jpg

com on guys, should kno the rules:

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING OR NAME CALLING. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

1. Not really. They basically just screw into the case. As long as the case's screw hole thingies (I forget the real name) are in the right place, you just line the mobo up and screw it in. For all the parts ands tuff, basically there is a unique socket for everything, and everything only goes in one way, so it is actually really simple to assemble as long as you have all the parts.

The only problem I can think of is that the case might have screw locations that don't match the mobo, or vice versa. But most of the time those are standardized.

2. Basically, everything should just unplug. Some things are held in with latches you have to release. If it doesn't come right out, look at it again, and don't force anything! Everything should at most require a little wiggle to get out.
3. The motherboard and the processor should each come with illustrated instructions. It is pretty simple, you usually just raise a little latch or lever, literally drop the processor in (they are all zero force insertion as far as I know), and put the latch back down.
4. Basically, do the following:

a. Read and follow the instructions. EVERYTHING comes with instructions, most of them are illustrated and super-noob-friendly. I hear that Intel mobos are as close to idiot-proof as possible.
b. Go slow. Don't force anything. Everything should plug in pretty easily, if it doesn't fit turn it around and try it the other way.
c. Follow the anti-static instructions, which usually just consist of touching a piece of metal like the case every once in a while to make sure you don't zap something with static electricity by accident & bake it.

5. Follow the instructions that come with the mobo, but if you plugged everything in right, it should just turn on and the BIOS screen should come up. Make sure your CD drive is a boot drive, stick your OS in the drive, and it should boot up. Then install the drivers off the CD that comes with the motherboard, then the other drivers like video card drivers & stuff. That's about it.

As long as you pick good parts and follow the instructions that come with them, even building a whole PC from parts is pretty simple. The main thing is to take your time (and to expect it to take a while to do).

ok here is a break down, things that i've learned and will pass on.

1) you bought an HP nuff said.
2) buying just a motherboard wont solve your problem/delema
3) gotta format your hard drive and put a Real XP on it instead of the HP restore cd.
4) motherboard probably wont fit in your HP case so need a new ATX case.
5) probably your powersupply wont fit in the NEW case cause its made specifically for that tower. if it does fit then your in luck, but most likely its a crappy brand anyway UPGRADE!!
6) then transfer everything over.

Man.. some of you guys are harsh.
Anyway, swapping motherboards is pretty easy if you take your time. Most connectors can only go into one place due to their distinctive shapes. The toughest things to plug I find are front panel LEDs, power and reset button as they are very small.

Make sure to only install the motherboard stands that you need as placing extras may cause a short. Best of luck!

Shesh, poor guy....
It can be daunting swapping out a motherboard and reinstalling stuffs the first time around. Again, if you absolutely have to do this by yourself, read up and print out instructions as much as you can. Make sure that all of your connections are connected correctly once everything is back on (don't want to turn on the computer with the cpu fan unplugged).

I would highly recommend that for your first try, find someone who knows what they are doing and learn from them. It is not hard a job but experience helps. I am sure if you train a monkey to do this, they could (have you seen some of those tech guys are crap-USA?).
However, there are so many nuances that require a little experience (ie compatibilities, little hardware problems).
Motherboard swapping is easy but people always run into little problems that are not stated in the instructions.
Good luck though.

If need be, feel free to PM me for help...Have to pay back humanity....so many debts :eek:

daedal said:
Man.. some of you guys are harsh.
magnuspah said:
Shesh, poor guy....

Ya, I agree 100% w/ both of you. So many people are saying stuff like: "Omfg, yuo b0ughT an HP, that comp is teh sux0r, my cust0m pc is lyke ub3r 1337 cuz I p41d $10,000 4 it." Sorry I couldn't spend more than like $1000 on a comp.

Ya, I agree 100% w/ both of you. So many people are saying stuff like: "Omfg, yuo b0ughT an HP, that comp is teh sux0r, my cust0m pc is lyke ub3r 1337 cuz I p41d $10,000 4 it." Sorry I couldn't spend more than like $1000 on a comp.
if you paid $2k fora pc you are a n00b and a moron. YOu can build a top oif the line for $3k

Is the MoBo worth it though? Can someone please give me an honest opinion if you were in my shoes? I just got this PC, I want a PCIE x16 slot so I can get a 6600GT gfx card for christmas but I can't build my own comp or sell my comp 2 get a new one.

Don't know much about mATX motherboards. You should google those motherboards with review at the end and see what people are saying about them. However, does your system have DDR2 ram right now? If not, then you will need to upgrade the ram. DDR Ram will not work in DDR2 slots....
Personally, I would focus more on the Asus than the others. For novice builders, the Asus boards are know to be more stable and less finicky, therefore, easier to install and use. Have not heard much stellar things about intel. The Asus and Abit boards may be a little more expensive but they are worth it in long run, Asus for stability while Abit in some cases for overclocking (I loved my recently sold Abit IC7 Max3).

Good luck

Your forgetting one thing, His hard drive wont work with the new motherboard, Reason being that he probably doesn't own the full retail version of windows XP, but he probably has the Restoration cd, and most likely it will not work with the new motherboard, so thats another 200 bucks that he has to spend on win xp, home or pro.

Omfg, forget this, Im not wasting my money with this because everyone is saying something different. I'll just get an Xbox 360 instead.

Getting the xbox 360 would be your best option. Upgrading is a pain unless you really know what you are doing. Upgrading from a proprietary system (HP, Dell etc) to something is more painful. Yes forgot about Windows XP. Due to the lovely working of capitalism at its best, M$oft implement that thing where changing your system significantly will mean getting another copy of the wonderful XP :rolleyes:
Windows XP is cheap though but that will be another $100. I got mine, the professional 64 version for that price, brand new.
Next time, don't getting proprietary, learn how to build a system yourself. You save a lot of money and get the parts that you want and are good.

lol, Who said I would buy windows XP? Doesn't matter, Im goin w/ the good ol'' 360, And If you want to buy a cheap PS2 - Slim edition ask me, Im willing to sell mine, I haven't played it in a year.

Back