N00B video card question

Well, I have an old PCI video card that I would like to add to my Dual G4 1.0ghz so I can have dual monitor support, as my current vid card has ADC and DVI, and I don't have an adapter for ADC-DVI, nor do I have a Cinema Display. So can I use this card in the Mac? Does it have to be Mac specific?

That's what I thought, but I was just confirming my suspicions. I know that if it is AGP then it has to have the slot for the ADC, but I don't know why I wouldn't be able to use it. Would it hurt anything to plug it in and try it?

You may need to flash the ROM on the video card in order for it to work on a Mac. What card is it anyway?

To be honest, I'm not sure. It's an 8MB, and it says ATi, but that's all I can seem to identify about it. I probably should just spend the money and buy a Mac compatible video card :)

To be honest, I'm not sure. It's an 8MB, and it says ATi, but that's all I can seem to identify about it. I probably should just spend the money and buy a Mac compatible video card :)

That would probably be best in the long run :D

Plenty of sites stock them too.

You can probably find a flashed ATI 7000 around for $15 or so. Do you want AGP or PCI? And AGP cards do not need the ADC power connector to work in those Macs, they just (obviously) can't have an ADC port.

I'd like a PCI video card as an addition, as my AGP slot is already filled by a Radeon 9000 64MB, and it's a great card, but I want dual ports so I can use a second monitor for photoshop work.

I don't recommend this. Mixing a Quartz/CI-compatible video card with a non-supported one caused lots of problems in my experience. Go with a PCI FX5200 or something.

Unless of course your current card doesn't support Quartz anyway, in which case it may not matter.

Technically, no PCI video cards are quartz compatible. Any Radeon (or nVidia >GF2) series can be made to be Quartz compatible on the PCI bus with a software hack. The 9000 is not CI compatible, so there isn't a difference there.

But I agree it would be best to upgrade to a flashed 9800 pro or something that has CI support and dual ports that just work.

BigBadBioligist, that would be great if you could see if you have a card, I'd of course pay you something for it :)

Back