n00b question: any advantage to same brand MOBO as GPU?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by oblongpolygon, Jan 10, 2020.

1. oblongpolygon

oblongpolygon [H]Lite

A very quick question, from me, a n00b...

Is there any general performance advantage, at all, to having a system setup where the motherboard, and video card, are made by the same manufacturer?

If so, what exactly is the advantage?

I've gotta say, I assume there isn't an advantage, generally.

But if there is an advantage, then I guess it can only be had rather occasionally (as with a ASUS pairing, or with a GIGABYTE pairing, or ASROCK, or MSI, and maybe a few others who I now forget) since many GPU brands (like ZOTAC for instance) don't to my knowledge also make motherboards.

Also, in any "same-brand pairings" the advantage might be something highly specific to the brand and not true of pairings in general, and neither an advantage based in performance - like synchronised RGB lighting or similar... which I don't actually care for.

I guess I ask all this because, currently with a ASUS mobo, and wanting a new GPU, I'm wondering if I should lean towards an ASUS card... which, in my budget and SFF case, would probably mean waiting for the release of the Strix 1660 Super. Unfortunately, it was announced in October 2019, and still hasn't emerged in stores, AFAIK. (And once it does, it might be way more costly than an EVGA or ZOTAC or other different-brand equivalent.)

Look forward to the advice / thoughts of the community.

2. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise 2[H]4U

Nope. Buy each based upon its own merits.

kirbyrj likes this.
  3. matt167

matt167 Gawd

My gpu and mobo are both Gigabyte. Not on purpose. GPU was a good used value..

The RGB goodness seems to sync Automatically. I say seems to because the case is windowless and i don't care too much about that. But when i have looked it seems the colors match.

4. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

5. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

Well, if you get an ASUS GPU, you can have an "advantage" of being able to not have to deal with warranty support. If something dies, you can just chuck it in the can and buy something else.

The speed at which you will have a working system again will be much faster than trying to deal with their horrid 3rd party unbelievably scammy RMA support if you live in the USA.

6. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

The performance won't be impacted, but you might have some RGB sync benefits, etc.