n00b question about factory overclocked cards

hollandbk

Weaksauce
Something I've been noticing more recently is that there are more and more cards coming out that are "factory overclocked" are these worth the money and can't people achieve the same results on their on with cards that run at the stock frequency :confused:

It really isn't worth it. Sure, you get a warranty for the overclock, but GPU overclocking doesn't get you much in the way of FPS returns. And yes, you can generally achieve the same result with a regular card.

i have a vanilla 285 gtx clocked at 720 core/ 1620 shader / 1400mem(2800 effective). which is faster than their FTW edition (702 core / 1609 shader / 1323 mem). ive always bought vanilla cards and have yet to receive one that didnt overclock fairly well. my last card was an 8800gtx and it o/ced past ultra speeds. of course, not all cards will clock well so its always luck of the draw.

the ONLY benefit of getting a factory overclocked card is the clockspeed guarantee of the components.

most of the time its only a 3-7% increase in performance of the stock card anyway so is it really worth it to pay extra money for such a mediocre gain? might as well just save the $$ and go for the lottery.

Back