n00b-friendly phase change cooler

cApNhOwDy

Weaksauce
I've never really been too big into the overclocking business, so I wouldnt know how things work. But I'm looking for a n00b-friendly phase change cooler, so I'd appreciate some recommendations/links. I know it'd probably be best to go with a custom built one, but I really dont want to go down that path before I've had some experience with a training-wheels cooler incase something goes terribly wrong. I've heard that problems on older models result from condensation leaking onto the computer parts, but I also had heard that newer updated models did a good job of taking care of condensation for you.

Obviously, phase change cooling is a big investment. I was hoping that someone more experienced could also tell me about how often I'll need to replace parts and what sort of regular maintenance I might expect to be doing incase I decide to get one.

Also, most of the phase change coolers I've seen are built with only the CPU in mind. Are there any phase coolers that branch off and can cool the GPU as well?

There really are no "newer" units. Custom is the way to go. The "newer" commercial units are Vapochills or Prometia's or Cooler Express (recently exposed as faking reviews on other forums and then putting links to them in advertising, plus no ones actually really received a working unit from them). Vapochills and Prometias (the Machs) cannot handle newer CPU loads either, and there mounts leave alot to be desired.

Meanwhile in the custom market, we have made great advances into new easier mounts, new condensation proofing, and much higher performance.

As far as CPU and GPU models. The gains are not as great in system performance as with on the CPU, however custom units can be made for GPU's as well. In this though youll find GPU condensation proofing can be hard especially with higher performance units.

Thanks for the input. Are there any custom phase-change makers that you recommend? Custom would probably be the way to go then, since I'd like to get a phase change cooler installed on my Socket 939 CPU and on the 4870X2 GPU whenever it comes out. Chances are, buying a pre-manufatured one (which from what you've said and I've researched, not many new ones have come out) would be less likely to have proper mounts considering that 939 is an obsolete format and 4870X2 has a unique architecture from other cards.

Back