MythTV hardware requirements?

Short Story - I ended up dropping my laptop, cracking the screen. Given my tight budget at the moment, I found a donor computer from craigslist and swapped the screen. This leaves me with a spare working laptop. Specs are a 1.6ghz turion with 768mb RAM.

Due to several factors, I was thinking about making it into a linux box, but I was wondering if it's got enough juice for MythTV and to record OTA HD content via a ATSC USB tuner that I have. No encoding on this machine - I was just gonna have it record, and then copy the files to a NAS. Think this will work? I've been searching for hardware requirements, but no clear answers here.

Main reasons: 1) Save energy - if left on, the laptop draws 35watts, while the desktop is almost 200. 2) Need a linux box was thinking about using Asterisk (+Sipgate and google voice) at home for phone service.

keenan

2[H]4U
I think it'll be enough processor wise, but some machines of this vintage won't have USB2.0 ports, and that may end up being a problem. If you've got USB2.0 and the disk is fast enough I think that'd do the job just fine.

Zachstar

[H]ard|Gawd
I suggest just testing it. If you have everything already mise well give it a whirl

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
The onboard video is what's going to kill it, all depending on what it is. Usually laptops have piss poor graphics which makes them a stupid choice for an HTPC.