Mythbusters Ending Next Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is a bummer. Hey, Jeff Bezos likes snagging up people from popular shows that have been canceled, maybe we'll see the Mythbusters gang on Amazon. Who knows? It worked for Top Gear. ;)

There’s no debunking this one: The next season of Discovery’s Mythbusters will be its last, EW has learned exclusively. The pioneering reality series, one of cable’s longest-running shows, will stage its final gonzo experiment during next year’s 14th season after 248 episodes and 2,950 experiments.

There's only so many "myths" to bust.. Doesn't surprise me their time is up. Loved the show but it just hasn't been the same for a long while now.

I havent seen the last shed load of series but I always enjoyed what I watched.
Hopefully they will find something just as fun and entertaining.

All good things must come to an end. Personally, I think this show went on too long: Don't get me wrong, I love it, but some shows are just better off ending sooner.

Freaking Dexter....

I'd like to point out that top gear never got cancelled. They have Chris Evans as the host for the bbc top gear now.

But yes, looking forward to the Amazon clarkson and friends car show!

Bound to happen quickly when the producers scaled back the cast. RIP to one of my favorite TV shows of all-time. :(

On one hand its sad, but like I can't say that I watch MythBusters anymore on TV... even if I download it I don't really go watch it ever and it just sits there. This last season they tried changing stuff up but it didn't really help, I think core issue is they don't have any good stuff left they can really do a good job of testing. Everything is such a stretch it seems like they just end up building stupid shit just to blow it up.

That said Adam Savage is still awesome guy, he does a podcast and stuff on tested.com, I listed to all of those on my commute to work. Even some of the simple videos they put up I watch, like I watched him make some simple leatherman holder for his belt... I actually watched that entire video... I don't think I've been able to watch an entire Mythbusters eppisode for awhile without skipping ahead.

I kinda hope Amazon/Netflix doesn't pick up Mythbusters, I'd rather a they ditch the myth testing theme and find some other reason for building more interesting stuff.

This is why I don't have cable anymore.

Discovery Channel has become complete garbage. There is nothing educational on it, it is just fake reality shows for mouth-breathing morons.

It was all downhill after that errant canonball. I bet some top exec decided they need to roll up their sleeves and take charge.

yes, adam and that walrus are long winded. ;)

funny-walrus-Jamie-Hyneman-mythbusters-pics.jpg

eh, mythbusters jumped the shark some time ago. they ran out of the good stuff and were just doing stupid shit, not really myths but time fillers.

The subject matter was mostly exhausted and the longer shows are on the air the more they cost to make. It was bound to happen sooner than later.

There's only so many "myths" to bust.. Doesn't surprise me their time is up. Loved the show but it just hasn't been the same for a long while now.

Agreed.

Also when they dropped the 3 cohosts the writing was one the wall.

It was all downhill when they fired the B team

Really, it all went downhill when they started caring more about big booms and exploding things than busting myths.

I stopped watching it a while ago. I just found out from this thread that they got rid of Tory, Kari, and Grant last year.

It was all downhill when they fired the B team

Really, it all went downhill when they started caring more about big booms and exploding things than busting myths.

Pretty much this, although I did enjoy the big booms especially with the high speed camera.

I'd like to point out that top gear never got cancelled. They have Chris Evans as the host for the bbc top gear now.

But yes, looking forward to the Amazon clarkson and friends car show!

Top Gear UK will never be the same, sorry but as far as I am concerned no Clarkson, May and Hammond Top Gear UK died. The BBC should have ended Top Gear. No one can replace what the former Top Gear presenters presented.

Top Gear UK will never be the same, sorry but as far as I am concerned no Clarkson, May and Hammond Top Gear UK died. The BBC should have ended Top Gear. No one can replace what the former Top Gear presenters presented.

Huh, they still try to continue it without the holy threesome? LOL!

Ended for me when they got rid of Keri.

she was utterly useless. all she ever did was be girly and paint things pink. during her pregnancy there was someone who briefly replaced her. think her name was Scotty or something? she was super good at welding, especially when they built a catapult using some containers. now THAT would have been the perfect woman on the show due to her skill.

The changes they made to the latest season actually revitalized it for me. Spent more time on the build process and upped their production values.

...for firing a cannonball into somebody's house.

That was years ago and was not the reason that the B-team was let go. The ratings were down and they opted to take the show back to the style of season one.

she was utterly useless. all she ever did was be girly and paint things pink. during her pregnancy there was someone who briefly replaced her. think her name was Scotty or something? she was super good at welding, especially when they built a catapult using some containers. now THAT would have been the perfect woman on the show due to her skill.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who thought she was useless. Her lines were so planned and painful to listen to.

For me, the appeal of Mythbusters was both the building process as well as the science portion.... from folks who were special effects people, not scientists. The decision was reached at the beginning of the year around when the "Mythbusters 2.0" started and they were saying, "We're going back to our roots" and let the build team go.

The handwriting was on the wall when they dropped from 22+ episodes per year (2011 & 2012) to 11 in 2013, 15 in 2014 (including two episodes that aired in 2013 and one in 2012 in Australia), and 14 in 2015. Also, Jamie has indicated that once the show ends, he will no longer be in front of the camera.

For me, I stopped watching before the three were let go, so that didn't affect me. It was honestly about the content, they just ran out of interesting myths. I enjoy Adams podcast and YouTube immensely though.

As for top gear, looking forward to Amazon's. Sorry but all the localizations are shit and the new host will likely be as well. Top gear was never about being a serious car show and anyone else is going to have difficulty replicating the chemistry of the three.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who thought she was useless. Her lines were so planned and painful to listen to.

Kari was so obviously there to entertain people who don't have their own boobs and/or are sad enough to get excited about TV boobs. It was also silly that the show was trying to fake present her as someone in her 20s with her clothes and hair even though she was pretty far past that.

That was 2-3 years before last year. They were attempting to go back to how the show was when it first came out, just them working on one or two topics and all the prep it took to test the theory. And since they claim they knew since the beginning of the year they probably went into last season knowing the writing was on the wall.

Probably the coolest thing on the show. Destruction of property is excellent. Also hilarious.

CreepyUncleGoogle said:
Kari was so obviously there to entertain people who don't have their own boobs and/or are sad enough to get excited about TV boobs. It was also silly that the show was trying to fake present her as someone in her 20s with her clothes and hair even though she was pretty far past that.

Nothing wrong with that, and we loved her for it. :cool:

Nothing wrong with that, and we loved her for it. :cool:

It would be fine if the audience it was made for wasn't worried about them as much as it is. They treat them like forbidden fruit or something and everyone gets flustered or upset about them. But really, there's very little that's great about dragging around fatty milk glands for your entire life that you need for maybe two or three years of it at most that everyone fusses over. Humans are dumbly designed and the cultural stuff that's developed around parts of that dumb design just amplify the dumbness greatly.

The show wasn't "cancelled" in the sense that Discovery decided to axe it. It was the two "stars" that decided to end it. And both confirmed that they probably aren't interested in doing anything together on camera anymore so that kind of puts the possibility of it being picked up for an online series to rest.

I believe both of them are executive producing some show for network television so they'll still be working together just not in front of the camera. They also have some affiliation with Tested so it's not like they're just disappearing altogether.

It would be fine if the audience it was made for wasn't worried about them as much as it is. They treat them like forbidden fruit or something and everyone gets flustered or upset about them. But really, there's very little that's great about dragging around fatty milk glands for your entire life that you need for maybe two or three years of it at most that everyone fusses over. Humans are dumbly designed and the cultural stuff that's developed around parts of that dumb design just amplify the dumbness greatly.

Not forbidden fruit per se (we all have the internet, come on now people; that, or you're (not you specifically) way too awkward in social situations). But still great nonetheless.

Back