Mythbusters' Cannonball Misfire Still Reverberating

For those who enjoy Kari, you'll thank me even if you've seen it before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAR5VS44NU

The lesson they learned here is that a bomb disposal range is not a cannonball calibration range. There were people in the house that got hit - a mother and her kid. An interview with the father in some other article indicated that HELL YES there will be a lawsuit above and beyond what it takes to fix the damage done to the house.

Amazed that TV is still on.

I rememeber a YouTube video showing what a tool Jamie was. He was walking around his shop and complaining about how worthless his employees are and that there are suppose to be 3 pencils in this area and there are only 2 pencils , etc, etc.

You mad bro?

If their ratings ever dip too low all they have to do is have Kari go topless on an episode. They can blur out her nips, it won't matter. Now to find an experiment to justify that. I'm sure they can come up with something.

I mean hey, they did the one where they jammed microphones in her pants to see "if women fart". So the show isn't 100% class.

no to mention the one where they put her in a skin tight flesh colored body suit and made a mold of her butt. FOR SCIENCE! :p

I would have demanded sex with Kari. Who cares about repairs a hole in the wall is fine....sex with Kari would have been the only solution to remedy the issue.
Lol. She is a hottie, no doubt.

For those who enjoy Kari, you'll thank me even if you've seen it before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAR5VS44NU

The lesson they learned here is that a bomb disposal range is not a cannonball calibration range. There were people in the house that got hit - a mother and her kid. An interview with the father in some other article indicated that HELL YES there will be a lawsuit above and beyond what it takes to fix the damage done to the house.

The world would be better off without people like that. Our nation is so sue happy its not even funny anymore.

The world would be better off without people like that. Our nation is so sue happy its not even funny anymore.

No, that is one justified lawsuit. I guess you would just laugh it off if somebody trashed your house and barely missed your wife and kids with a cannonball?

No, that is one justified lawsuit. I guess you would just laugh it off if somebody trashed your house and barely missed your wife and kids with a cannonball?

If they paid for the damages, yes. Accidents happen. They did everything by the book, had law enforcement present, and were on a fucking bomb range. No one was hurt, what are they going to sue for, alternate reality pain and suffering?

I think this is nothing to the minor earthquake they caused with one of their bomb episodes that broke windows on houses that were miles away. This one just made the internet way faster is all. They have the funds and insurance to take care of this. Just might not be able to get an explosion in space episode as soon as we all want!

they pay for the damages, show up at my house and apologize for what they did, they did enough.

They did enough, someone is going to sue them, and I hope the judge laughs it out of court.

Completely unrelated to the previous rant:
Kari isn't even that hot, she is hot for a smart chick, but they have had smarter chicks on that show than her, but none of them were as hot as here. I woulda rather that one welder chick with the tattoos as a girlfriend, she seemed like a good time, and oh by the way could help me wield on my metal buildings.

All that said, Kari should leave her husband and have wild monkey sex with me anyways.

There is a chick on the physics/universe shows on either history or discovery, I have no clue what her name is, and she isn't all that physically attractive, but I will be damned if I don't get insta wood every time that woman talks.

I honestly feel that many people are easy on them because its Mythbuster, the show most of us love watching. Had it been a military test or something, the reactions may have been less pretty.

A bomb range is not a canon range. You don't practice shooting at a bomb range, you do that at a proper shooting range where you can either contain stray bullets or its an open space far away from civilization that there's no danger if the bullet leaves the range.

Conducting a canon test at a bomb range is silly. It appears that they did not take into account the possibility of the canon missing its target and flies out of the area which is a mistake that shouldn't happen.

In theory, they fix the damages, maybe pay some compensation for good will, adjust safety procedures, and move on.

But folks, this is the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. The land of Extreme Over-Reaction.

So, given this is the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, the following new laws are probably already being constructed for mass-signage by the Governor, and they will pass simply because they sound like they 'protect' people.

1. The sale of cannons in TPROK is hereby forbidden.

2. The sale of Bowling Balls in TPROK is hereby forbidden, as they can be used as Cannon Balls.

3. The carrying of concealed Cannon Balls or Bowling Balls are hereby forbidden.

4. The carrying of a Bowling Ball in a Bowling Ball bag is considered concealed, and thus illegal.
5. The transportation of a Bowling Ball in a concealed Bowling Ball Bag requires the Bowling Ball have all finger holes filled in so as to make it inoperable.

6. Since Law #5 would make the Bowling Ball even easier to use as a Canon Ball, Bowling Balls modified as per Law #5 are still illegal, and since it is now more of a Cannon Ball than a Bowling Ball, the open carry of said Bowling Ball is also now illegal.

7. Based on the laws listed above, the act and/or sport of Bowling is now classified as illegal. All Bowling Alleys must be turned into Shelters.

These new laws should go a long way towards protecting TPROK from such criminal acts of Science.

QFT!

I honestly feel that many people are easy on them because its Mythbuster, the show most of us love watching. Had it been a military test or something, the reactions may have been less pretty.

A bomb range is not a canon range. You don't practice shooting at a bomb range, you do that at a proper shooting range where you can either contain stray bullets or its an open space far away from civilization that there's no danger if the bullet leaves the range.

Conducting a canon test at a bomb range is silly. It appears that they did not take into account the possibility of the canon missing its target and flies out of the area which is a mistake that shouldn't happen.

A bomb range is as close to a cannon range as you can get. Bombs send projectiles in all directions at high velocities, so bomb disposal ranges are setup to stop projectiles that are traveling in all directions. The sides of this particular one are close to 50' high, thats a few feet higher than the berm on your average gun range. It was a misfire, unless they can find a fully enclosed bomb range, you can't prevent accidents like this. Also, a cannon is essentially a directional bomb. If it fails, you don't want it to be at a gun range that only has a berm on one side.

http://g.co/maps/rcex9
The bomb range looks like a perfect place to fire a cannon to me.

So, if it was one of R. Lee Ermey's shows, would there severe repercussions? I'd pay to see that apology. :D

Holy crap! a direct quote from North Korea's ministry of tourism!

Not even Kim Jong Il could sell Kalifornia to anyone.

The site was there before they moved in. Tough.

Bwahahahah. That's what they say about airports at least when there are noise complaints :)

Except the site is for bomb disposal, not weapons launches.

It has just been extremely clearly demonstrated to be a really bad place to fire a cannon. A perfect place to fire a cannon is out in the desert, where you often see Mythbusters firing their rockets and cannons and other projectile weapons. I think it is safe to say that Mythbusters will no longer be firing projectiles of any sort at that bomb range.

It has just been extremely clearly demonstrated to be a really bad place to fire a cannon. A perfect place to fire a cannon is out in the desert, where you often see Mythbusters firing their rockets and cannons and other projectile weapons. I think it is safe to say that Mythbusters will no longer be firing projectiles of any sort at that bomb range.

The cannon misfired. Its not like they were testing to see the effects of wind on cannonballs in residential areas. They took reasonable precautions, had officials on the scene, etc.

There are certain measures you take that are reasonable. After that you enter the realm of ridiculous. Who would have ever though the cannon would misfire, go through a house and land in a car? Expecting someone to plan for that is beyond reasonable.

http://g.co/maps/rcex9

I guess what's a little confusing is why they didn't have the cannons aimed down the long stretch of the range rather than over to the right where all the houses were. There's almost nothing to the north of that.

sounds like a perfect excuse for extremists to try and shutdown the show.

still dont understand why a bomb range is so close to neighborhoods.. i'd get tired of hearing loud booms being tested all the time.

evilsofa said:

Yes, a great place to do dangerous things is in the middle of the desert. Away from law enforcement oversight, hospitals, emergency personnel, and in an area where vehicles get stuck easily. Great place.

Like it or not, this was the safest place.

I guess what's a little confusing is why they didn't have the cannons aimed down the long stretch of the range rather than over to the right where all the houses were. There's almost nothing to the north of that.

They probably did. It was a MISFIRE. "Misfire" means not intended to be fired yet.

Everyone in the initial interview was laughing about it.

If it was my home I would never even fix the hole. I'd get a plaque that has the "Myth Confirmed" logo placed right next to it, then just get some insulation inside to keep the cold air out.

And from your posts here I know alot about how you are in real life.

Yeah Right. :rolleyes:

Actually Jamie reminds me of someone I worked for once many years ago. (but I HOPE he isn't this bad)

Complained constantly, nothing was ever good enough, always finding fault and generally treated people like crap. His public persona was one of a civic minded good man. But he treated is own family like crap and his employees worse. I watched him cuss out his own son in front of a room full of people for a very minor mistake he made. Image how his life was. I worked there for 2 months and only stayed that long because I wanted to line another job up before I quit.

This is how he is in real life. A typical "I'm better and smarter than you" jerk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6hLofnr20

Actually he didn't seem that douchey to me... he requested a simple thing a ten year old could handle and is relatively calm about his disappointment. He admitted "this one isn't so bad" and missed the paper towels which were above his head... big deal. The cannon ball going out of control is probably more the fault of the crew at the sit.e. The stars of the show can't be held responsible for every little detail, but they knew they had to respond as they are the face of the show. I'm sad they didn't show the episode as that would've been a very good example of how badly things can go wrong when everybody doesn't do their job properly. Who cares who's fault it is, it's a team effort and if can't handle maintaining a small number of office supplies in an orderly fashion then you may feel uneasiness about the larger things as well.

The cannon misfired. Its not like they were testing to see the effects of wind on cannonballs in residential areas. They took reasonable precautions, had officials on the scene, etc.

There are certain measures you take that are reasonable. After that you enter the realm of ridiculous. Who would have ever though the cannon would misfire, go through a house and land in a car? Expecting someone to plan for that is beyond reasonable.

I think not orienting a loaded cannon so its projectile's trajectory could potentially send it through the side of an occupied dwelling is a reasonable measure to take, misfire or not.

If you manage to kill someone in a hunting accident because you swept them with a loaded gun and it misfires at that exact moment, you're going to be charged with involuntary manslaughter. The same would have happened in this case if the family had been in the wrong place inside their home when the cannon ball blasted through.

Someone was criminally negligent. A lawsuit is justified at the very least. If this had been some dumb teenager lobbing a cannonball through someones home, you can bet your ass they would be charged with a crime. Tweeting "whoops, my bad. So sorry" wouldn't make it all better either.

Don't know who's fault this is - does sound like they were testing at an inappropriate site - but just because this is real life and shit happens, I hope that doesn't affect Mythbusters staying on the air. Amazing it took this long for something to happen.

Those with some experience on the legal side might agree that the family isn't the root of the sue-happy problem. They'll sue because some judge WILL give them money, entitled or not, especially in TPROK.

Given that there was no pain and suffering here, there is no cause for the family to sue beyond the property damage. But they will. The entire crew could personally come over, ensure everything is repaired to better-than-new, hug the adults, kiss the babies, give them $1M to boot, and they'll still sue.

If they paid for the damages, yes. Accidents happen. They did everything by the book, had law enforcement present, and were on a fucking bomb range.

If this is what happens when those people do everything by the book, I'd hate to see the aftermath when they actually fuck up.

No one was hurt, what are they going to sue for, alternate reality pain and suffering?

What are they going to sue for? Are you serious? Umm how about shooting a fucking cannon ball through an occupied home (that wasn't on a bomb range) at 1000 fps. Accident or not, what planet do you live on where that's A-OK?

Don't know who's fault this is - does sound like they were testing at an inappropriate site - but just because this is real life and shit happens, I hope that doesn't affect Mythbusters staying on the air. Amazing it took this long for something to happen.

Those with some experience on the legal side might agree that the family isn't the root of the sue-happy problem. They'll sue because some judge WILL give them money, entitled or not, especially in TPROK.

Given that there was no pain and suffering here, there is no cause for the family to sue beyond the property damage. But they will. The entire crew could personally come over, ensure everything is repaired to better-than-new, hug the adults, kiss the babies, give them $1M to boot, and they'll still sue.

They have every right and a very good reason to sue. In a case like this, you sue because A) to ensure all property is repaired and taken care of and B) to ensure the parties responsible (and their insurers) will think long and hard about what they're doing before pointing a loaded fucking cannon in the air towards a neighborhood.

If this is what happens when those people do everything by the book, I'd hate to see the aftermath when they actually fuck up.

What are they going to sue for? Are you serious? Umm how about shooting a fucking cannon ball through an occupied home (that wasn't on a bomb range) at 1000 fps. Accident or not, what planet do you live on where that's A-OK?

They have every right and a very good reason to sue. In a case like this, you sue because A) to ensure all property is repaired and taken care of and B) to ensure the parties responsible (and their insurers) will think long and hard about what they're doing before pointing a loaded fucking cannon in the air towards a neighborhood.

They have the right, that's for sure. I have the right to sue you for being a sue-happy weinie if I want, but I choose not to. Assuming MythBusters fixes everything and makes an appropriate compensation, there is absolutely no reason for a suit to reasonably go forward. Sueing over every damned accident that happens in life is what is partially causing this country to go to hell in a hand basket.

Step up, take responsibility for your actions and move on. As the victim, accept appropriate recompense and realize life is what it is and move on.

Now if say the show doesn't step up and fix things, then a suit is more appropriate. However, I highly doubt they won't take care of things and then some.

I would have demanded sex with Kari. Who cares about repairs a hole in the wall is fine....sex with Kari would have been the only solution to remedy the issue.

Now, now, let's be reasonable. A cast of her butt from the first season "airplane toilet" episode would've been sufficient.

OMG an accident that didn't hurt anybody and they are going to learn from, plus make restitution to everyone involved. Yup..cancel the show. How dare they do that at a bomb range!

Kari...FTW!

This country is fucked.

I think not orienting a loaded cannon so its projectile's trajectory could potentially send it through the side of an occupied dwelling is a reasonable measure to take, misfire or not.

If you manage to kill someone in a hunting accident because you swept them with a loaded gun and it misfires at that exact moment, you're going to be charged with involuntary manslaughter. The same would have happened in this case if the family had been in the wrong place inside their home when the cannon ball blasted through.

Someone was criminally negligent. A lawsuit is justified at the very least. If this had been some dumb teenager lobbing a cannonball through someones home, you can bet your ass they would be charged with a crime. Tweeting "whoops, my bad. So sorry" wouldn't make it all better either.

Last time I checked, nobody got killed.

If I'm hunting, sweep someone, and it goes off while its pointing just on the side of their head, you aren't going to be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

A lawsuit is NOT justified seeing as how everyone involved is getting compensated. If Mythbusters just told everyone to screw themselves, yes, file a suit.

What you're asking for is for someone to be better off than they were had the situation not occurred. I don't believe someone should get rich off of a lawsuit when the group took responsibility for their actions, owned up to it, apologized, and cut you a check.

What you're proposing would mean if Mythbuster, or any other large entity were involved in a situation like this, they would hold off on doing anything. If they're going to get taken to court anyway, I'd rather take my chances there and see how that goes rather than pay you upfront.

All these lawsuits do is screw over everyone else.

Back