Mysterious Mac Malware Has Infected Victims for Years

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Malware dubbed “FruitFly” has been infecting hundreds of Mac computers for the last five or ten years and nobody knew about it until Malwarebytes documented the initial strain this January. While simplistic, it has the potential to monitor victims through their webcams, capture their screens, and log keystrokes. An ex-NSA hacker recently discovered a second strain, yet it remains a mystery how Macs were infected with it.

Despite targeting regular people, it doesn't seem to be made by people specifically interested in extorting victims with ransomware or stealing their credit cards and passwords. Wardle said that both versions of FruitFly seemed to be made mostly for surveillance. But FruitFly2they had unusual capabilities such as being able to move the mouse cursor and control the keyboard remotely, and it was programmed to alert the hackers when the computer's owner returns to control it, according to Wardle. It was also written in Perl, a language that's "archaic" for malware and used old code, Wardle said.

It was a new undisclosed feature to the Mac os! How can you not see that. ;)

Seriously though, this is kind of funny.

Interesting, I wonder if the intended target was breached or if the accumulated dirt has yet to be used.

With the number of Mac users, infecting hundreds of Macs equals a pretty large percentage.

Is there a way to test their mac without installing the malwarebytes malware?

For an idiot like myself who knows nothing about code, is it possible for someone to dumb down an example of "old" code vs modern code? What makes it "old"? Dunno why, but it piqued my interest.

For an idiot like myself who knows nothing about code, is it possible for someone to dumb down an example of "old" code vs modern code? What makes it "old"? Dunno why, but it piqued my interest.

Probably the time it was written makes it old. Kind of like how long ago you were born can determine how old you are.

Probably the time it was written makes it old. Kind of like how long ago you were born can determine how old you are.
The API calls it makes can also give an indication of age although it assumes that the authors didn't do it deliberately.

Well, I mean the purpose could be good old extortion after recording something?
Just a modern day peeping tom, that had been doing it for years ?
Can only say, wow.

Also, my brother swore to me back in 1999, that his mac back then would do weird shit that looked like it was remotely controlled.
The guy was completely convinced.. he's not weird or anything BTW, never been paranoid no even after that anyhow...
This makes me think, would this 'virus' be going on longer, or could it be a concealed component of MAC software that has been there for so long, basically a form of data gathering tools in the software, and this fruitfly 2 is actually the first malware, using a modified version of these 'tools' you know some shit like that.

Also, I agree so many of this shit, seem like backdoors to me.

Back