Mysterious deaths of Cable modem and Router...

Laro6781

Weaksauce
So I ran into a very puzzling situation this weekend, and I'm wondering if anyone has any theories as to what may have happened. I have one, but it has huge holes in it...

This weekend, overnight (with no weather events, such as a storm), both my Cable Modem (a Ubee model, model number escapes me at the moment, but I can get it later) and my TP Link Archer C5 both died on me. They were hooked in to a surge protector (not just a power strip) with a few other devices, none of which are showing any signs of a surge or power spike.

Both devices do "power on", but that's about the end of where they work correctly.

The modem would only function for about 2 minutes after a reboot, after that, no connection could be made. This was checked with a wired connection, with multiple latops, and consistently, around 2 minutes after a reboot, connection was lost every time.

The router was a bit different..... it would also power up, and broadcast both 2.4 and 5 G signals, but would not issue IP addresses to wireless devices or even wired devices. The 192.168.0.1 IP address would also not get me to the router gateway, even after soft and full resets. I unplugged it for about 30 minutes to both let any residual power fade, and let it cool down if there was a potential heat issue. When powered back up, wireless devices would be allowed to connect to the router, but not allowed to connect to the internet. Wired devices were also not allowed to connect to the internet (this is post getting a new modem that finally maintained connection), but they were finally able to access the router's IP gateway. Changing the settings in the router IP setup did nothing, even after attempting to go through a full setup after a Factory Reset and Firmware flash.

My question I guess is, what the hell would do this? I thought maybe a power spike through the cable line took out the modem, but that doesn't explain why the router went out. Other devices wired into the router are also fine... I'm at a bit of a loss, but I really just want to do what I can to prevent this from happening again....

A couple of possibilities that could cause hardware failure on both

1. a power surge over the coax line can go all the way through and damage things connected by Ethernet. could have happened, but something that bad would likely have damaged anything else connected to coax.

2. Brown out/Power lag. Deadly on electronics, and surge protectors offer no protection for those. Only a good UPS will protect those.

Well.... damn. Thanks for the other suggestions! I just picked up a coax surge protector and installed it. Figured for how cheap it was, I really should have had it already. I honestly would have never thought of a Brown out/power lag. And ahhh.... a UPS.... something I've been trying to convince the wife that we needed... now that it took out her access to work from home, maybe she'll agree! Thanks again!

Forget the coax surge suppressor. Go outside to your cable box/drop and ensure it's properly grounded.

even a coax surge suppressor, wont work if it's not installed correct, think about the angle of the grounding cable to, it's all about RF how things would travel.

Back