Myst Developer Re-releasing Entire Franchise on PC Later This Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Developer Cyan Worlds has announced that updated versions of every game in the Myst franchise will be released for Windows 10 sometime this year. A physical package that bundles all of the games is being planned for the bigger fans and collectors out there.

Over the last few years we’ve been working to procure the rights to make all of the Myst games available. As an indie developer, resources are limited for development, and acquiring rights isn’t always an option. But we managed to finally talk to all the right people and departments and put some funding together to try to make it happen.

Still unsure how Myst is going to appear. I can't imagine it being less than the Masterpiece edition.

Being old enough to remember the first copies arriving in my store, I see this as another example of a cash grab. I have mixed feelings since while it was a good (not great) game many of the games that followed in it's footsteps are far better. Can we get something new? Wouldn't that be nice? Is it going to be 4K now? *yawn*

Never played it. I'd be interested, but Win 10 only :(. Well I'm not upgrading just for that. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to setting up a Win10 VM but really why, even if revamped a bit, would they do this--what does DX12 truly offer that makes it worthwhile eliminating a bunch of potential customers (i.e. sure do a DX 12 version but why not earlier too)?

Wait a min Myst Developer saying there going to re-releasing Entire Franchise but dose that include Myst III: Exile and Myst IV: Revelation and not for get Pyst LoL ??.

Guess I'll just have to wait a few days for the mod community to release a patch that enables it on Win 7. Of course knowing that community we might have that patch ready day 1.

Guess I'll just have to wait a few days for the mod community to release a patch that enables it on Win 7. Of course knowing that community we might have that patch ready day 1.
Or Not all if a UWP app and not Steam

LOL the Mrs has recently gotten into PC puzzle gaming, and played all the old Myst games she bought for like a buck each. Making some of those work right on a Win 10 laptop was a chore, but she played them. Lately she's enjoyed the Siberia series, kinda in the same genre but modern code.

Never played it. I'd be interested, but Win 10 only :(. Well I'm not upgrading just for that. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to setting up a Win10 VM but really why, even if revamped a bit, would they do this--what does DX12 truly offer that makes it worthwhile eliminating a bunch of potential customers (i.e. sure do a DX 12 version but why not earlier too)?
I have not ready anywhere where it is "Windows 10 only" unless they are putting it in the Microsoft store, which their current products are not. I think they just mean that they are making the games modern OS compatible, which is a great thing for many old games. I was just looking up information on Diablo 1 on modern OSes. I love it some companies are enhancing old games for modern OS compatibility.

RIP Icewind Dale II.

I have not ready anywhere where it is "Windows 10 only" unless they are putting it in the Microsoft store, which their current products are not. I think they just mean that they are making the games modern OS compatible, which is a great thing for many old games. I was just looking up information on Diablo 1 on modern OSes. I love it some companies are enhancing old games for modern OS compatibility.

RIP Icewind Dale II.
"that we’ll be releasing updated (for Windows 10) versions of all the Myst games later this year"
I guess that doesn't mean they won't later release other versions later but it sure seems to imply it. Oh well I guess I could play the DOS versions, I still play Doom once in a while.

As the guy who created the real Myst book a while back (which Cyan ended up using a modified scan of in realMyst Masterpiece Edition plus for the book at that site), I am SO excited for this 25th anniversary edition. Particularly about 3 and 4 getting re-released, they were never made available in digital form so aside from eBay there's been no easy legal way to acquire them for years. :D

lol wonder how much extra Microsoft is paying for a W10 only release (if it turns out to be true)

"waiting for Windows 11"

HzIyPxF.jpg

I don't know how I had the patience to finish this without internet walk-throughs.

I don't know how I had the patience to finish this without internet walk-throughs.

Seriously. I remember spending hours on simple things, and just walking away to reset my way of thinking. Coming back later always seemed to help, but damn the amount of time I spend was a lot.

I am pushing this thread back up. Apparently the Myst franchise is now available on Kickstarter.
www.myst.com will be redirect to their Kickstarter campaign site.

This game brings back a lot of memory. I remember spending countless hour on the original Myst in the late 90's. Time flies, I am an old man now.

Reactions: RIUM+
like this
Back