MySpace For Sale In The Bargain Bin

HardOCP News

[H] News
MySpace is for sale and its parent company is only asking one sixth what it paid for the kiddy playground back in 2005.

Beleaguered social networking site MySpace may have a new owner by the end of the week. The Wall Street Journal has reported that News. Corp is seeking $100 million for MySpace. The sale is expected to attract bids from a variety investment firms and companies who may seek the buy parts or the whole of MySpace.

Maybe if they knew how to run it, it could have been better than Facebook. Instead they ad infested it and members just started leaving.

I will be shocked if they get 100 million....

its day has gone....I am still not sure why I leave my account lingering around.....seems pointless....

i dont have facebook or myspace. but what did myspace do wrong that facebook did right?

Ads are minimal on Facebook. They are all over the place on Myspace. It's super annoying. Not to mention the sheer amount of times that IE asks to download an mp3 from the damn site, which I of course decline. God knows how much malware gets pushed to the public through Myspace and their horrible ads.

i dont have facebook or myspace. but what did myspace do wrong that facebook did right?

Facebook offered a cleaner and easier to use interface while Myspace was busy letting people make ridiculous looking page with music blaring and very little relevant information near the top of the page.

Same thing will happen with Facebook in a few years when the investors realize how crazy they were for investing billions of dollars into something with little substance.

Facebook offered a cleaner and easier to use interface while Myspace was busy letting people make ridiculous looking page with music blaring and very little relevant information near the top of the page.

This. When you login to a FB user's page, you know exactly where everything it is because they all look the same. Myspace allowed people the "freedom" to "express themselves"... and it basically just turned it into Geocities 2.0.

I agree...I recently watched "The Social Network" and i was like 65 mil to the 2 brothers?? Undisclosed payout to his BF? And at that time FB was still valued at some xx billions of dollars!!!??

But hey those investors need a place to lose money.

The tell tale sign of a social networking site on the verge collapse is when your grandma is one of your friends on there. Facebook's time is coming...

Myspace failed for the same reason geocities failed. Dont let users design their own content and then shove a bunch of ads in the cracks.

Facebook wont fail as easily because their site is cleaner, and they have compelling revenue streams.

The tell tale sign of a social networking site on the verge collapse is when your grandma is one of your friends on there. Facebook's time is coming...

What's wrong with that? I do not use Facebook, but if Grandma wants to stay connected, what is the problem? Is that not "cool enough?" Seems like MySpace did what it could to alienate everyone that was not 10 years old with GeoCities Part Deux, and failed miserably because of it.

Bingo. What you do 'above the fold' is ten times more important than what you do below it. Myspace forgot this.

Facebook needs make something similiar to browsers, with in-private browsing. You have one section where you can put your civilized friends, then another section where you can talk about banging hoes, getting drunk, etc. They are segregated from each other, unless you decide to place friends into both sections.

Facebook needs make something similiar to browsers, with in-private browsing. You have one section where you can put your civilized friends, then another section where you can talk about banging hoes, getting drunk, etc. They are segregated from each other, unless you decide to place friends into both sections.

That option is available, it's called friend lists. I use it to separate hte people who need to see what I put on my wall and those that don't.

I had Myspace for a while, then I switched to Facebook once I noticed friends and family doing so. No sense in staying on a site when my reasons for being there in the first place were gone. Anyways, Myspace just obviously did it all completely fucking wrong. When that whole "makeover" thing happened, I was expecting something great - something simple and fast to compete with Facebook...but no, they rolled out that super ugly, dark, bloated-as-hell design that ran like shit no matter which browser I used. Everything was all over the place and in an incredibly unfamiliar fashion.

Seriously, whoever was the "genious" behind their last makeover was a fucking idiot. What were they thinking? They completely missed the point on how Facebook was beating them and why.

With that said, I happily use Facebook to stay in touch with my family and close friends. Sure I've got their phone numbers, but Facebook is honestly the most simplistic way to keep in touch with everyone.

That option is available, it's called friend lists. I use it to separate hte people who need to see what I put on my wall and those that don't.

How do you do that? I thought that option only existed for picture albums? You can organize who sees a certain post by friend lists?

It's time to send this thing to its grave. I read that there's a nice burial plot available right next to Geocities.

MySpace was the Geocities of the last decade. It made it easier for people to make atrocious-looking sites that no one else wanted to look at. Facebook did it right by taking the design choices away from the user, preventing page after page of glitter text, eye-searing backgrounds, and annoying background music you couldn't turn off.

How do you convince someone to buy something of no value? If no one uses MySpace, what's the point of buying it?
I really don't get what there is to sell of MySpace? It's just a website, a domain name, a bunch of code for a useless website. Even the hardware running MySpace is worthless.

Someone edumacate me on what there is to buy with this sale.

Seriously, whoever was the "genious" behind their last makeover was a fucking idiot. What were they thinking? They completely missed the point on how Facebook was beating them and why.

Because the people doing the redesigns *always* think they know better than the users. They assume their genius will catch fire again and make everything better than ever. Plus there is always a bean counter behind the scenes declaring that the new design will raise revenue %50 after 30 days...

Same thing happened recently with Digg and the Gawker media sites...

MySpace was the Geocities of the last decade. It made it easier for people to make atrocious-looking sites that no one else wanted to look at.
Geocities was actually more simple to use and let you use HTML code design your page. It still looked bad because of the limitations at the time, but seemed a lot cooler because there was no social networking associated with it.

I would offer them $5 for the site but Im afraid I would be stuck with it. :(

How do you convince someone to buy something of no value? If no one uses MySpace, what's the point of buying it?
I really don't get what there is to sell of MySpace? It's just a website, a domain name, a bunch of code for a useless website. Even the hardware running MySpace is worthless.

Someone edumacate me on what there is to buy with this sale.

Me too...please! I see nothing.

Geocities was actually more simple to use and let you use HTML code design your page. It still looked bad because of the limitations at the time, but seemed a lot cooler because there was no social networking associated with it.

With MySpace you could just throw on an ugly template and then spam it up with pictures and nonsense. GeoCities' use of HTML meant you actually had to LEARN something to butcher it.

I hope my friend Tom doesn't leave MySpace. He is such a good friend, always messaging new members when they join up. Funny how he never writes me any other time, just all the times I joined, quit, joined, quit, etc.. and always the same message. I guess my friend Tom doesn't have a lot going on in his life besides welcoming new MySpace members. I bet his life has been pretty empty lately. I wonder what he does will all that free time of his. Wonder if my friend Tom is on FaceBook??

tom-myspace.jpg

two things:

Tom got freaking paid, good for him.

Facebook and Myspace aren't really different enough to matter, people just got tired of myspace and moved on to facebook. You didn't have to bling out your myspace, and frankly, it made it easier to know which people I didn't want on my friends list. I had a facebook page for a while, but then I realized how intrusive it could be in my work and social life if I actually managed it as intended, so I deleted it and won't ever be going back.

After what they did to IMEEM, they deserve to go the way of the dodo and never be mentioned again.
There were more useful sites that got shut down - HEAT.NET, MWAVE.COM - so I see no reason for that pitiful pile of crap to be still in existence.

With that said, I happily use Facebook to stay in touch with my family and close friends. Sure I've got their phone numbers, but Facebook is honestly the most simplistic way to keep in touch with everyone.

The last update was to concede that Facebook was better at keeping in touch with family and friends. It was a move to a music social network. Music has been the main focus for a good year or two. They had more of an issue of dealing with people still thinking they were trying to copy facebook, like you. It's very similar to how everytime there's an AOL thread here there's a bunch of "hurr peoples still on dialup!?!" posts.

Back