My xbox 360 slim dvd drive just died. Anyone else have this problem?

bufodr_T

Supreme [H]ardness
So my xbox 360 slim dvd drive just died. Manufacture date 7-27-2010. THe bad thing is i bought it last october and have played just 3 games on it. All of which were installed on usb flash drives so that it didnt have to spin all the time while playing games to increase the life of my system. Never a problem with the unit whatsoever.

The last 3 weeks i hadnt played any games just watched netflix. Now all of the sudden with a game in the disc tray all i get is "open tray" instead of play game. I have tried several games, dvds, and cds. The drive is toast.

Has anyone ever had this problem with the slim 360s? I know it is common on the older 360s. i am so pissed off.
I never registered the system and i dont have the receipt. Now to call ms and hope for them to cover it.

Maybe it has something to do with the recent update that effectively bricked some 360s drives. They were offering free replacements...probably still are!

Maybe it has something to do with the recent update that effectively bricked some 360s drives. They were offering free replacements...probably still are!

This shouldn't be happening to a slim, though. The update only affected older consoles with certain drives. Sounds like the drive may be dusty and need cleaning and lubrication, or perhaps it just let out it's magic smoke early. I've fixed many fat consoles drives with some isopropyl, Q-Tips, and white lithium grease. Pity they made it so you would have to break tabs to open the system.

I had two of the non-slim models and both DVD drives went bad. I RMA'd it and sold the console I got back. No more 360's for me.

actually turned out well for me. my warranty is good thru october evnen though i didnt register it and production date was july 2010 so i got it covered under warranty. i think ill pay the $24 for the 1 year extended warranty with microsoft.

i knew the older nonslims had problems with the dvd drive, but i have never heard of the new slims drives taking a dump that is why i was checking to see if anyone had one die on them.

I haven't had mine take a dump, yet (EVER!! *knocks on wood*).
Which is kinda suprising, since my xbox is on the back side of my extremely deep KB tray... and it gets all the glorious bumps and shifts associated with it.

The slims were in fact affected by this problem.

cheap, bottom of the barrel, slightly customized DVD ROM drives? Yeah. Kinda irked me, since I have 3 (3!!) broken launch era xbox360 drives in my closet :( All mech failures.

Back