My X800Pro is whacky!

PC-HAngover

[H]ard|Gawd
I have had my X800 Pro for quite a while now, and I still can't figure out whats up. I will be playing a game, and sometimes it will just shoot back to the desktop, crashing the game. I can't figure out if this is a driver problem, or a hardware problem. I know I have a terrible install of XP right now, home blows concrete, but I still don't think that should be causing these freaky errors. Any ideas?

it might be that your system is unstable and not the card at all. have you OC'ed the videocard? did you check the heatsink?

PC-HAngover said:
I have had my X800 Pro for quite a while now, and I still can't figure out whats up. I will be playing a game, and sometimes it will just shoot back to the desktop, crashing the game. I can't figure out if this is a driver problem, or a hardware problem. I know I have a terrible install of XP right now, home blows concrete, but I still don't think that should be causing these freaky errors. Any ideas?

Thats not your video card causing those problems. Its a combination of the Quirky Virgin ATI Drivers and that bad install of XP you said you have without a doubt.

The optimal thing to do here is to do a complete fresh install of XP and I am pretty sure all will be well. You will then be in 3D horsepower heaven with that card.
Also don't forget that for all the greatness ATI have done with their new series of cards their CAT Drivers are still not at the top notch level of Nvidia drivers, but they are getting close.

Also post some bench marks too of your card on a few game I would like to see them!

:)

X8001e.JPG

X8002e.JPG

X8003e.JPG

X8004e.JPG

X8005e.JPG

3dmark03 I scored 8,000 even stock everything with a clogged up hard drive. I have yet to fix the errors... finals in school... argh!

I'd first get a clean windows install and then if you are still having problems look for problems with your PSU/memory.

I find it helpful to do a clean install of windows after any major hardware upgrade.

Yes its annoying but true...install any hardware you need working perfectly to enjoy and you should probably clean install...this is where custom partitioning becomes usefull.

Ahh how often reinstalling has wiped out some minor annoying little bug on my system, might was well sechule it for once every 6 months as much as I mess around with betas and such.

It was a completely clean install.... thats what I don't understand. I have been playing a ton of games lately, and I don't seem to be experiencing any difficulties. I am really excited about this Pro to XTPE mod though. I checked my core ID number: GA9004.1 ... so it has a high possiblity of modding! I will probably try this after MANY MANY more people try it before me.. hehe

I´d say:

Clean your system and leave it dust free (cpu heatsink and fan, psu fan, exahusts, etc)
Load bios defaults, use conservative memory timings, and disable onboard unneeded stuff like sound, firewire, ide
Clean install Windows (slipstreamed to latest SP of course)
Install latest chipset drivers
Install latest directx9b full
Install Latest Catalysts drivers and latest audio drivers

If you still have the same problem, make sure voltages are between nominal + - 5% range

Good Luck

OldMX

Back