My Wii U review/first impressions [Deluxe Model/SMBU/Trine2/ZombiU]

My thing was I wanted to wait for it to drop in price a little, I know thats kinda hard to ask and may be a little while until the price hits $250 range, but damn you and your review, its really making me think about getting one.

if you are nervous about being an early adopter, wait for a couple more must have titles as i do not see the price changing for at least 2 years.

Price won't change until competition makes it. But seriously this is Hard forum why is it OK to spend stupid amounts of money for a few extra fps but not on more gaming variety? 350 is about what we spend on gpu's that less than a year later you want to replace for just a couple more fps.

Price won't change until competition makes it. But seriously this is Hard forum why is it OK to spend stupid amounts of money for a few extra fps but not on more gaming variety? 350 is about what we spend on gpu's that less than a year later you want to replace for just a couple more fps.

Your rational thinking has no place here on [H]! BE GONE! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My thing was I wanted to wait for it to drop in price a little, I know thats kinda hard to ask and may be a little while until the price hits $250 range, but damn you and your review, its really making me think about getting one.

price point is pretty much genius on nintendos part right now you can get it for 50$ more then a ps3 or xbox at 299$. so next gen at only 50$ more. so thats appealing and then the next gen systems from xbox and ps3 will be priced higher probably my guess is 400 and up. which makes the wii u still viable.. because maybe it will be a little less powerful but will provide a more affordable option

Your rational thinking has no place here on [H]! BE GONE! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nice:) you be gone I was here first. Hell I've been here longer than my login suggests way back I forgot my info changed emails and made this one.

Just remembered I've also spent more for memory. Shit I think a k6 2 CPU once cost me more than my Wii u :(

if you are nervous about being an early adopter, wait for a couple more must have titles as i do not see the price changing for at least 2 years.

After reading a review or anecdote somewhere where the writer likened NSMBU to SMW which is my favorite Mario title of all time and definitely in my top 10 games of all time.....I'm more interested in the console than I was 6 months ago.

However - I'm waiting at least 2 years because I want to see what changes between now and then.

Nintendo has a funny way of coming out with a console that gets me giddy (or at least interested) on day 1 and then fizzles and pops like a bottle rocket within a few months. My Wii got dusty and my Gamecube got dusty. I've just outgrown Nintendo, but I'm still (deep down even though I don't want to admit it sometimes) a 'fan'.

Longterm prospects though ~ they always leave me hanging and I'm always disappointed. The last Nintendo console that I loved on the last day as much as I loved on the first day was the SNES. Over time it's waned more and more and the love has died sooner and sooner. I want to see 3rd party support stick around for them over the long haul....something that they haven't had since the SNES days. 2 years should be a good minimum to determine whether that's the case or not.

Apples and oranges aside, not everyone spends so t[H]rifty. Yeah I know 90% of the forum members do a mass purge every time a new socket or tick-tock comes out but not everybody. :)

honestly, if i didn't have discretionary income, i would think the way zero2dash does.

gamecube failed and the wii did not get as much play time as some of my other consoles and i would be wary of wii u. and 2 years is a great window to see the direction of the system, the titles, and console exclusives. if my hope is restored i will look back on buying it early and rejoice. if it fizzles i will look back and think i should have waited. but so far, the wii u is the only thing i am currently playing and my PC titles (xcom and borderlands2 and dota2 and sc2) are on the back burner along with halo 4. its a lot of fun right now!

The wii didn't do anything to draw me in. The motion stuff was nice, but pushed too hard. They seem to have understood that this time around and are offering more to appeal to all gamers.

Also, I would've really liked to play Mario Galaxy but it looked pretty bad on my HDTV. The Wii just didn't cut it graphically, and while we always trope "gameplay > graphics," they still play a big part. (a game doesn't have to be Crysis/push to the extreme level, but it needs to at least fit the game and look nice enough, especially today)

Apples and oranges aside, not everyone spends so t[H]rifty. Yeah I know 90% of the forum members do a mass purge every time a new socket or tick-tock comes out but not everybody. :)

Blasphemy! Leave now and never return :)

my cycle is this: build a great desktop and commit to it for 4-5 years and in the middle (2 - 2.5 year) change out the video card but i never buy top of the line video card. always $250-$300 range.

my cycle is this: build a great desktop and commit to it for 4-5 years and in the middle (2 - 2.5 year) change out the video card but i never buy top of the line video card. always $250-$300 range.

Pretty much what I do. I swap video cards, but I go for the next best model, like the GTX 670 as an example. Occasionally I go for the highest one, like I did with the GTX580, but it has to be a pretty nice performance increase without crazy heat/stability fluctuations.

gamecube failed..

my Gamecube got dusty.

:(:(:(

Am I .... alone?
j/k

Honestly though, I sold my launch GC 3 months into it. No games. And then.....

cubeDS.jpg

I don't really remember when I re purchased it, prolly before Wind Waker came out, but GC became one of my favorite consoles ever. I will never forget the first time I saw Metroid Prime. It became a niche console with many classic games that were overshadowed by media blitzing by the beginning of dudebro games at the time. I remember when Echoes was released the same monday as Halo 2, (which to me was the most disappointing $60 I ever spent) and that was a sad day. Even most reviews agreed which was the better (and less buggy) game, but alas....I'm going on a tangent....

The point is... GC was awesome, and while it wasn't worth have in the beginning, it really did become strickly "about the games" in the end and had some true gems many people have missed out on. Wii wasn't anything like it at all. And honestly Wii wasn't that bad either, what ruined Wii was the display output that makes its stretched 480p look like a blurry, dithered mess on every HDTV. Ironically, before Wii, I was playing GC through a computer monitor with an component-to-VGA converter for the 480p games it supports. I sold that monster 21 CRT monitor, unfortunately. How interesting it would have been to run Wii on it, I think it would have looked great, like GC always did. It's too bad that I do not have any memories of the Wii looking as good as the GC. Ironic now, isn't it? :)

EDIT: I just realized I still have the Game Boy Player for this thing. The countless hours there.....
Screw you guys, GC was the shit!

Last edited:
Screw you guys, GC was the shit!

I waited in a Walmart for 10 hours for one at launch.
Loved Wave Race: Blue Storm. Loved.
Out of the launch stuff, I spent the most time with that one.

Wasn't until Zelda: Wind Waker that I devoted a ton of time with the console again.
Oh I yearn for a WW sequel....the game was phenomenal. Top 2 Zeldas of all time (along with Link to the Past....no offense to Ocarina of Time, I like that too....I'd put that as #3 though).

Resident Evil remake had me occupied for a bit. Then I realized....it was RE. Again. Several years after I beat and re-beat the crap out of it already. I bored of that one quickly.

Eventually we got Wavebirds and Animal Crossing. Holy Santa Claus shit, AC is crack. Then, now, forever.

Loved Pikmin.

RE4 made me keep the GC for probably 2 years longer than I would have if RE4 had not come out. One of my favorite games of all time. I beat that game so many times, I can still beat it another 100 and I'd still love it. Yes I love old school survival horror RE1-CV but hot damn 4 is still my favorite because the gameplay is just superb. Other than the Ashley parts....yeah. Ugh.

I did not like Metroid Prime, any of them. Sorry. Loved F-Zero, hated F-Zero GX. Most of the other "mentionables" on the console I never even played because I was too busy with the Ps2 and the Xbox.

Forward to now: If not for ResiWiivel 4 and the many things you can do with the HBC and a USB HD, I would have sold the Wii for peanuts probably years ago.
That's why I'm not buying a U for awhile.
Nintendo has to prove to me that a) they can keep 3rd party support for more than a one night stand; b) they can actually start, support, and encourage an online platform that isn't geared towards protecting kids from imaginary pedos; and c) they can actually support bare minimums on what the other consoles are doing. So far, I'd say they have C down, which is a damn shock. This, the company that said that online didn't matter and neither did HDTV. It's like they're still stuck, scratching and clawing, in the 1990s, but on the other side of the coin, they'll put any newfangled unproven wacky idea into a controller or peripheral that they can come up with. Just don't ask them to go above progressive scan; that's outrageous! :D (Of course now that's no longer the case.)

Last edited:
I waited in a Walmart for 10 hours for one at launch.
Loved Wave Race: Blue Storm. Loved.
Out of the launch stuff, I spent the most time with that one.

Wasn't until Zelda: Wind Waker that I devoted a ton of time with the console again.
Oh I yearn for a WW sequel....the game was phenomenal. Top 2 Zeldas of all time (along with Link to the Past....no offense to Ocarina of Time, I like that too....I'd put that as #3 though).

Resident Evil remake had me occupied for a bit. Then I realized....it was RE. Again. Several years after I beat and re-beat the crap out of it already. I bored of that one quickly.

Eventually we got Wavebirds and Animal Crossing. Holy Santa Claus shit, AC is crack. Then, now, forever.

RE4 made me keep the GC for probably 2 years longer than I would have if RE4 had not come out. One of my favorite games of all time. I beat that game so many times, I can still beat it another 100 and I'd still love it. Yes I love old school survival horror RE1-CV but hot damn 4 is still my favorite because the gameplay is just superb. Other than the Ashley parts....yeah. Ugh.

If not for ResiWiivel 4 and the many things you can do with the HBC and a USB HD, I would have sold the Wii for peanuts probably years ago.

Wave Race 64 was my favourite racing game in the N64 era lol.

Wave Race 64 was my favourite racing game in the N64 era lol.

I borrowed it so many times from a buddy of mine....never actually bought it but man I borrowed it all the time. That's why I was even more psyched when I knew Blue Storm was coming out at the GC launch. Don't get me wrong ~ I bought Super Monkey Ball (and spent wayyyyy more time with that one than I'd like to admit) and Rogue Squadron too, but I don't know if I would have bought a GC at launch if not for Blue Storm. :)

I borrowed it so many times from a buddy of mine....never actually bought it but man I borrowed it all the time. That's why I was even more psyched when I knew Blue Storm was coming out at the GC launch. Don't get me wrong ~ I bought Super Monkey Ball (and spent wayyyyy more time with that one than I'd like to admit) and Rogue Squadron too, but I don't know if I would have bought a GC at launch if not for Blue Storm. :)

WHAT. Luigi's god damn mansion!?!? That's literally like my favorite game of all time. EVER.

Granted I have al ot of favorite games of all time, so nothing's really more special than something else, but still! Fuck I might play it this weekend again in between ZombieU and Mario marathons!

Oh, also Resident Evil 0 :) Pikmin...mmm...amazing. Animal Crossing was literally HEROINE. Can't forget about Harvest Moon: A Wonder Life either.

Also you waited 10 hours for a GC at launch? That stinks!! I walked in with my father, and walked out with an Indigo one haha. Day 1 baby :)

Gamecube was literally my favorite console ever. I still have my Indigo one, but the Lens died on it, apparently a common failure. Bought a silver one after it died and still have that, runs great. Speaking of the GC, was there ever an orange one released? Japan only maybe? I know they had orange controllers, but man did I ever want an orange console...

WHAT. Luigi's god damn mansion!?!? That's literally like my favorite game of all time. EVER.

Granted I have al ot of favorite games of all time, so nothing's really more special than something else, but still! Fuck I might play it this weekend again in between ZombieU and Mario marathons!

Oh, also Resident Evil 0 :) Pikmin...mmm...amazing. Animal Crossing was literally HEROINE. Can't forget about Harvest Moon: A Wonder Life either.

Also you waited 10 hours for a GC at launch? That stinks!! I walked in with my father, and walked out with an Indigo one haha. Day 1 baby :)

Gamecube was literally my favorite console ever. I still have my Indigo one, but the Lens died on it, apparently a common failure. Bought a silver one after it died and still have that, runs great. Speaking of the GC, was there ever an orange one released? Japan only maybe? I know they had orange controllers, but man did I ever want an orange console...

They are some rumor of Gamecube coming to Wii U Virtual Console.

They are some rumor of Gamecube coming to Wii U Virtual Console.

Hm? Sounds interesting. Will have to keep eyes on that.

Main reason I love GC, other than the games and it's awesome form factor of course, was the controller. It felt just so right.

Got one at Target yesterday. Managed to get everything setup and my Wii saves and whatnot transferred over. Haven't had a chance to do much gaming.
Pretty neat, but the OS seems slower than I expected. Opening apps like YouTube, the Store, Options, etc. takes much longer than I'm used to. Maybe I've been using a smartphone too long, but there's definitely more waiting around than I would've thought.

Got one at Target yesterday. Managed to get everything setup and my Wii saves and whatnot transferred over. Haven't had a chance to do much gaming.
Pretty neat, but the OS seems slower than I expected. Opening apps like YouTube, the Store, Options, etc. takes much longer than I'm used to. Maybe I've been using a smartphone too long, but there's definitely more waiting around than I would've thought.

Its a common complaint that the OS seems woefully unpolished at this point.

Is the virtual console available for Wii U in Wii Mode?

Is the virtual console available for Wii U in Wii Mode?

When your in Wii mode it's like playing on the Wii including its market. To access the Wii u store you go back to the Wii u interface. Its is literally like having two separate systems.

When your in Wii mode it's like playing on the Wii including its market. To access the Wii u store you go back to the Wii u interface. Its is literally like having two separate systems.

Awesome. I am going to move my Wii data over for sure. Thanks

Oh I yearn for a WW sequel....the game was phenomenal. Top 2 Zeldas of all time (along with Link to the Past....no offense to Ocarina of Time, I like that too....I'd put that as #3 though). YES!

RE4 made me keep the GC for probably 2 years longer than I would have if RE4 had not come out. One of my favorite games of all time. I beat that game so many times, I can still beat it another 100 and I'd still love it. Yes I love old school survival horror RE1-CV but hot damn 4 is still my favorite because the gameplay is just superb. Other than the Ashley parts....yeah. Ugh. YES!

I did not like Metroid Prime, any of them. Sorry. Loved F-Zero, hated F-Zero GX. Most of the other "mentionables" on the console I never even played because I was too busy with the Ps2 and the Xbox.
We were doing so well!
WTF just happened? I can't.... breathe...a...

Yeah, Japan. I remember seeing one in a Japan GC commercial. Whoa! just found a combo pack with the gameboy player, never knew this existed. I couldn't find a bigger pic, though...

Dob29.jpg

We were doing so well!

Yeah, Japan. I remember seeing one in a Japan GC commercial. Whoa! just found a combo pack with the gameboy player, never knew this existed. I couldn't find a bigger pic, though...

Dob29.jpg

the gamecube was cool. i remember playing smash on it religiously.

basically super smash bros is the best series of games ever. its incredibly addicting and competitive. we would get in physical fights over it... it was ... awesome.

We were doing so well!

Dob29.jpg

Damn that's cool. I WANT.

basically super smash bros is the best series of games ever. its incredibly addicting and competitive. we would get in physical fights over it... it was ... awesome.

smash brothers as best game ever is youthful nostalgia talking. a person's memories under 25-30 years of age are broken by this phenomenon

resident evil 4 was amazing! both of my sisters watched me play through it. good times!

We were doing so well!

Gamecube was fantastic, terribly underrated console. Both Metroid Primes were fricking awesome and Zelda Wind Waker is propably my favourite Zelda. I still havent forgiven those retarded "it looks kiddy game!" bitchers. Screw them, I want my sequel! :mad:

Just got an email saying my Wii U basic + SMBU has been shipped! OMFG I may actually get one for friday when its officially released here! I know what I am going to do the whole friday evening. :)

I haven't tried - can you play GameCube disks? I know all my old GC saves are still on a memory card that you can't seem to copy anywhere else.

Don't hate me, but I could never get into the smash series. The game is fine, its the controls, I just cant get around.

I was raised on Street Fighter 2.
Something about pressing A+any direction executing your special moves. I cant do it. I gotta have that fireball, that dragon punch motion, and strickly Dpad. I cannot play fighters on the analog, unless its a proper arcade stick.

DOWN> DOWN+RIGHT> RIGHT+Punch
Yeah, thats the ticket... :)

Smash Brothers is a fighting game, but you can’t always approach it like one. There’s a lot more within the environment you have to be aware of, and if anything, you probably have to pay attention to your surroundings as much or more than your opponent. I’m a long way from great, but when good players are going at it – there’s a ton of rolling, blocking and waiting for someone to get distracted before using one of the dive-kick style moves to finish them off. With multiple players and moving levels, that compounds.
If you start blocking and rolling a lot, you’ll find Smash Brothers changes. It turns into a weird hybrid of fighting games and a classic 8-bit style skill game.

I still prefer games like SF and Tekken, but Smash always has a place in my house. Mario Kart, too.
Those are the two games I really want Nintendo to get out the door.

Got a chance to do some gaming last night. Been playing Nintendoland thus far.
I have no idea what to think. It's creative, fun, and captivating...but it's also confusing and frustrating at times. Alternating looking at my TV and the tablet is definitely odd. With people always using smartphones and mobile devices I can see what they're shooting for, but it's definitely unusual for a traditional gaming experience. Having better graphics doesn't much matter if I'm always looking at the lower resolution tablet.

Got a chance to do some gaming last night. Been playing Nintendoland thus far.
I have no idea what to think. It's creative, fun, and captivating...but it's also confusing and frustrating at times. Alternating looking at my TV and the tablet is definitely odd. With people always using smartphones and mobile devices I can see what they're shooting for, but it's definitely unusual for a traditional gaming experience. Having better graphics doesn't much matter if I'm always looking at the lower resolution tablet.

You know, even though it is a lower resolution, the DPI is excellent, and I really dont notice the pixel difference from the gamepad and my TV. Actually, I feel the picture looks better on the gamepad. Its very clean and clear. I never noticed that my TV's contrast was too high until I started playing WiiU and the difference was pretty large.

I'm really impressed with Nintendoland. I thought it was gonna be a 10 minute show off the system with mini games, but its totally not that. The variety is nice and there is a lot of game here. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did, now I cant wait to get people over to try some multiplayer!

Back