my wc project got shot in the foot

Devilpup

[H]ard|Gawd
thanks to the USPS my internals that I was going to use for my pc-76 mod got beat up. now i have to wait until i settle the insurance claim with the PO before i can start, and i might wind up being back overseas by then. total bummer. here's a couple of pics for kicks

TRUNK%20BOTTOM.JPG

that chest was in 1 piece and had a lock on it when i mailed it. when i got it the only thing holding it together was tape. had my shuttle box in there, it got borked. here's a small teaser:

shuttle%20gfx%20ripped.JPG

the faceplate is cracked and the whole chassis is tweaked. i'm hoping that some of the parts can be salvaged but i'm gonna file a claim for the full amount anyway because of the bullshit factor. guess my project may have to wait for another day.

You mailed your computer stuff in a flimsy chest made out of plastic? Did you not expect that thing to break. When you ship stuff out you need to do a 5 foot test. Hold the package eye level then drop it. If you are scared to do it or it comes apart then you need to repackage it.

well it was a flimsy chest that was advertised as having met usps requirements for shipping, and the shuttle is very small and thus was surrounded by a layer of bubble-wrap 6 inches thick, so even at a 10 foot drop there should have been no damage to the pc inside. how they managed to put enough pressure on it to tweak it that bad i'll never know, it looks like it was hit by a truck.

the bottom line is, that's what the insurance is for.

But the shuttle wasnt probably broken from the force that broke the chest. It was probably broken after the chest was broken and taped together. It was the handling of the chest after it was broken that did the shuttle in (no chest to protect the shuttle). Anyways goodluck with it. If the chest was rated to be shipped in then you have a case.

Wow. Just wow, dude. I'm sorry. I feel bad for your hardware. :( Ah well, you can always use the insurance claim money to upgrade. :D

i feel bad for you man. UPS can DIE!!!!!!!!!!!! over the past like with family packages and stuff like that, that they are damaged and torn up. stupid n00bs.

MONST3R said:
i feel bad for you man. UPS can DIE!!!!!!!!!!!! over the past like with family packages and stuff like that, that they are damaged and torn up. stupid n00bs.

USPS isn't UPS :p

That is why whenever I buy a case or something that can get banged up easily, I tell them, hell I'll even pay them to use DHL. I've seen about 4 or 5 threads just like this where UPS and USPS has banged up stuff, hell you should be thankfull I've seen worse pics than yours. I don't know if any of you have seen that pic that was posted of a Blue Dell XPS system that got shipped UPS and it was banged up like a mofo. Hell UPS is even worse that USPS. Good luck with the insurance, my heart goes out to you as a fellow PC lover, nothing sucks more than to build up your anticipation for a WC system or some project then your stuff arrives like that.

Depending on what generation it is, shuttle sells the bare cases they have scraped from RMAs on their website for $10 each (mostly to cover shipping)

Might wanna check if you can pick one of those up for a quick fix.

DHL= great, no damage
Fed Ex= pretty good, minimal damage
USPS and UPS= contest to see who can smash your box the most

My company switched to Fedex from UPS a few years ago now. Was originally with USPS but they stared damaging stuff. Then to UPS who were great for years but then started to damage stuff as well, now with Fedex and very little damage. We do use DHL for fragile items. They are the best.

I cant understand why anyone would use USPS or UPS when Fed ex is the same cost ( generally) and DHL is only a little more.

Sorry to hear about ur case. Hope u get some satisfaction out of the insurance end of it. I cant really see how they can use the Old "insufficient packaging" line on you there.

MikeP said:
DHL= great, no damage
Fed Ex= pretty good, minimal damage
USPS and UPS= contest to see who can smash your box the most

My company switched to Fedex from UPS a few years ago now. Was originally with USPS but they stared damaging stuff. Then to UPS who were great for years but then started to damage stuff as well, now with Fedex and very little damage. We do use DHL for fragile items. They are the best.

I cant understand why anyone would use USPS or UPS when Fed ex is the same cost ( generally) and DHL is only a little more.

Sorry to hear about ur case. Hope u get some satisfaction out of the insurance end of it. I cant really see how they can use the Old "insufficient packaging" line on you there.

hahaha so very true the way you ranked the Carriers, and DHL was a International Carrier( you know world wide) but they decided to get into the US market by buying Airborn, Now you have an alternative to domestic shipping, and i love them, great and fast cheap shipping. I did an overnight ship of a 9800 Pro for $17 total. i thought that was sweet and the buyer was as happy as can be. DHL all the way.

PS: oh and personally i think that UPS is Satans ass hole, USPS is ok, haven't had any problems with them.

UPS: omfg a plastic box howd you guys get one
USPS: lol someone used this to ship something
UPS: LUCKY!!!!11111111
USPS: wanna see something cool?
UPS: sure
USPS: *kicks plastic chest off of C-130 cargo plane*
UPS: LOL THAT PACKAGE HAD INSURANCE!!!!!111111
USPS: so theyll never find it over this ocean roflzzz

so what made you send this in a Plexi box again? I mean there is a grocerry store close by right? you could of asked for a box and put some good packing peanutsand bubble wrap with it so this would have not of happen. But plexi :confused:, I don't know what you were thinking. Oh and your going Overseas? Where?

ness1469 said:
Depending on what generation it is, shuttle sells the bare cases they have scraped from RMAs on their website for $10 each (mostly to cover shipping)

Might wanna check if you can pick one of those up for a quick fix.

I just looked. They didn't appear to have any in stock (unless I'm blind, which might explain my glasses).

Timmee said:
I just looked. They didn't appear to have any in stock (unless I'm blind, which might explain my glasses).

Yeah, it was a bit tricky to find. From the main page instead of going to buy XPC on the left, go to "Buy accessories" in the middle...

or just use this link

http://us.shuttle.com/buy.asp

Bottom left is where you wanna look.

ness1469 said:
Yeah, it was a bit tricky to find. From the main page instead of going to buy XPC on the left, go to "Buy accessories" in the middle...

or just use this link

http://us.shuttle.com/buy.asp

Bottom left is where you wanna look.

The screen comes up with no products listed though (at least for me).

i shipped it in that box because it was labeled as "meets US postal requirements" and there were no other boxes available (no grocery store on military base in bosnia).

so i went and talked with the PO about this crap and heard some funny shit. they took a look at it and said "insufficient packing" and then i said well when it was broken open a lot of the packing peanuts fell out and weren't taped back in. here's some funny quotes tho:

postmaster - "when you pack something to ship through the post office, you have to package it so that if it weighs 70 pounds you can drop it from 8 feet and it will be ok. then have another package that weighs 70 pounds drop onto that one from about 10 feet. that's how you're supposed to pack stuff."

this is what the insurance adjuster had to say to the postmaster when he said that

insurance claims lady - "are you kidding?"

funny thing is he wasn't, but he acted like the money would come out of his own pocket if they let me file a claim. i made them do it anyway though, but two bad things:

1) they keep the damaged item (wouldn't be a problem except for #2)
2) they said it could take several months to get resolved.

what bullshit, now i'm out of a pc for several months. my new philosophy:

don't bother with insurance
don't mail anything you can't afford to lose or have destroyed

i'm really glad i bought this laptop now, otherwise i'd be hella pissed.

usually the inter-US shipping stations arent so bad, they have QC and such. overseas postal places in third world countries are obviously, third rate

I've worked inside a shipping warehouse before, in a separate section. I dealt only with steel fixtures in this place, so it was more likely to damage you, the building, the truck, OR the floor if you dropped them.

Anyways the way other guys treated packages being shipped was appalling. They'd kick em around and chuck them into trucks and chuck them out of trucks and chuck them wherever. Nothing was ever picked up or set down. It was just booted or thrown like a rugby ball. Fucking ridiculous. And the forklift guys.. HAH! They never stopped. They rammed into pallets, crushed boxes, drove their forks through cabinets and fixtures, and demolished anything in their path.

Simple fact is that they dont care since nobody will know that they did it, and that insurance covers all the claims. Not so much as an ounce of professional concern, and I am talking about guys who had been in the business for 20 years and have a family. They were generally the worse.

So yah, when shipping you usually get what you pay for.

work at ups and you dont want to know some of the things that happen to those boxes :p

and they wonder why parts can be DOA after hours of testing at the fabs :p if UPS is bad, i can just imagine what happens inside the shiping containers from overseas

Timmee said:
The screen comes up with no products listed though (at least for me).

Ahhh. They must have sold out or stopped selling them since last week. :-x

Might be worthwhile to check back from time to time.

We ship precision inspection cameras, industrial PC's and other expensive delicate items out of my office every day UPS. I've had one thing damaged in two years and it was my fault for improper packaging.

Anything you need to guarantee unbroken arrival should be double packaged. It's ALL in the packaging.

At my work we repair P.O.S. (Point of Sales) equipment, and we usually get 20-40 packages in every day, via the UPS semi. Well one day our driver was unloading boxes for us, and one box he handed us wasn't ours, we told him that, he looks at the package throws in down, not just dropping it, throwing it down, then kicks a big ole hole in the side of the box. At the end of the day when our pickup driver arrives we tell him about "Kickie" and the next day we get a new delivery driver... I guess you could say that guy was having a bad day. :confused:

Kr0n0s said:
At my work we repair P.O.S. (Point of Sales) equipment, and we usually get 20-40 packages in every day, via the UPS semi. Well one day our driver was unloading boxes for us, and one box he handed us wasn't ours, we told him that, he looks at the package throws in down, not just dropping it, throwing it down, then kicks a big ole hole in the side of the box. At the end of the day when our pickup driver arrives we tell him about "Kickie" and the next day we get a new delivery driver... I guess you could say that guy was having a bad day. :confused:
That's REALLY dumb. It's one thing to toss packages around without customers around (not saying that should be done, either, cuz that's just dumb), but to do it in front of a customer? Maybe it's my 7 years of retail experience... Don't do dumb things to other people's stuff in front of another customer, cuz that customer will wonder what you're doing to their stuff!

I used to work for officemax in the recieving dept and we used to get boxes that were damaged and broken into all the time from UPS.

Another thing how hard is it to see that a box has been opened and stuff taken out of it.

I would find factory sealed boxes that were taped back together and half there contents missing, and mostley computer parts. A load of cr** if you really think about it, what are the stealing from your packages?

audibal said:
I used to work for officemax in the recieving dept and we used to get boxes that were damaged and broken into all the time from UPS.

Another thing how hard is it to see that a box has been opened and stuff taken out of it.

I would find factory sealed boxes that were taped back together and half there contents missing, and mostley computer parts. A load of cr** if you really think about it, what are the stealing from your packages?

its probably from the boxes busting open at some point through delivery and we try and re package the contents

Next time you wanna ship with USPS you should consider getting a shipping container like the ones we make here at work.

www.cyber-case.com these ones can be kicked off the back of a C-130

Devilpup said:
two bad things:

1) they keep the damaged item (wouldn't be a problem except for #2)
2) they said it could take several months to get resolved.

what bullshit, now i'm out of a pc for several months.

I had a similar problem with DHL a while back. Long story short was that DHL left a package on the front stoop of my apartment complex instead of going to my door and getting a signature like they were supposed to. The package was a gold ring shipped from Bolivia and so therefore it disappeared immediately.

So I call and deal with all the bull of tracking the package and all the rest and several weeks go by of explaining to different people the same problem until finally one day I just exploded and demanded to speak to the manager, then the manager's manager then HER manager and just demanded that they write a check for $500 and mail it to me TODAY.

So they did. I never filled out any paperwork, I never got processed through a claim or anything. So I cashed the check, reordered the ring and had it send via FedEx. :D

What you need to do is start a log of your calls about the status of your claim and make those staus calls daily or at least every other day. Record the people you talk to, their extension and their bosses name. Harrass the hell out of them over the phone and, no kidding, you'll get your claim check in three weeks, if only just to get rid of you.

Make no mistake ....

no where on our site does it say anything about being children effective ;)

no seriously ... they are damn strong.

Devilpup said:
thanks to the USPS my internals that I was going to use for my pc-76 mod got beat up. now i have to wait until i settle the insurance claim with the PO before i can start, and i might wind up being back overseas by then. total bummer. here's a couple of pics for kicks...
OMG, looks like it was in that plane with Tom Hanks from Cast Away. :eek:

Back