My VRM is HOTTER the the devil's nipples, temporary cooling.

McCHillin

Limp Gawd
I hadn't noticed it before (due to no problems being found) but my VRM is getting rather hot, I didn't notice it until I watched a YouTuber talk about X299 VRM getting too hot due to inadequate cooling near the VRM.
I checked the temps under load with the old "stick your finger on it" method, and sure enough "DAMN! thats hot".
so in an effort to to cool the system down I attached an 80mm fan to the 8 pin EPS connector wires via a small cable management velcro strap.

build in the sig (slight changes due to testing and incoming [H]ardware )

And I thought this is the most ghetto thing I have done with this build so far.... so here's the picture because I had to share.

upload_2017-11-10_16-18-27.png

Oh, and i found out that I was able to make it to 4.55 GHz with this mod.
I stepped it back down to 4.3 GHz to keep temps and wear down on the processor.

That is one negative to using water cooling. I mean with air cooling there is usually some airflow near the VRMs.

With that said X299 boards should have designed with the idea that most users would be water cooling..

You could always get a hole saw and cut out a fan in that area and properly mount a fan inside the case

That is one negative to using water cooling. I mean with air cooling there is usually some airflow near the VRMs.

With that said X299 boards should have designed with the idea that most users would be water cooling..
You could always get a hole saw and cut out a fan in that area and properly mount a fan inside the case
yeah, do you have any ideas about how to make a more permanent cooling solution that does not involve a massively janky hole in the top.... lols

yeah, do you have any ideas about how to make a more permanent cooling solution that does not involve a massively janky hole in the top.... lols
i would look into a new case that has all the functions needed. ( like top cooling) fuck if it couldn't come form the factory being able to easily top water cooling these days i wouldnt touch it. And you dont have to spend a lot of money these days either. ( i wouldnt want o hole saw a hole in a case in use either) so i cant blame you there:) might look into upgrading the heat sink for the vrms some how if it were possible

Use some clear plastic food containers to make a duct from one of the 120mm case fans to port air over the vrms.

http://www.oocities.org/tritium4ever/images/inside_case.jpg

I made mine out of a jar of animal crackers....
lol, i might do something similar,but more like a bracket

i would look into a new case that has all the functions needed. ( like top cooling) fuck if it couldn't come form the factory being able to easily top water cooling these days i wouldnt touch it. And you dont have to spend a lot of money these days either. ( i wouldnt want o hole saw a hole in a case in use either) so i cant blame you there:) might look into upgrading the heat sink for the vrms some how if it were possible
Yeah i plan on another case, but honestly this is the second case it's been in (due to it being bundled with a trade and having seemingly better options).

The only case I ever paid to much for was the first one......

IIRC, part of the problem is the fact that they aren't designing the heatsinks like heatsinks anymore. Their more cosmetic than anything, barely a solid block of metal with few fins increasing surface area to dissipate heat.

IIRC, part of the problem is the fact that they aren't designing the heatsinks like heatsinks anymore. Their more cosmetic than anything, barely a solid block of metal with few fins increasing surface area to dissipate heat.
Way too true, I mean I like the look and all but function over fashion is IMO better

BTW whats up CAP :)

That's a dumb test. You could do the same to your CPU cooler when it's under load and it will probably be hot to the touch. Unless the VRMs are getting ~100C I doubt there's a problem. Also you already have 2 noctua industrial fans blowing across, that should be more than adequate.

I would rip those things off and use these instead:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...12&cm_re=chip_heatsink-_-35-708-012-_-Product

The Captain makes it happen.
thank you

Do I know you? I R drunk now. If your name starts with a Z, I am almost done with your 3D printed part.

-PM me. I really don't know.
I did

That's a dumb test. You could do the same to your CPU cooler when it's under load and it will probably be hot to the touch. Unless the VRMs are getting ~100C I doubt there's a problem.
well, i did get better oc with active cooling directed at the VRM heat sink

Also you already have 2 noctua industrial fans blowing across, that should be more than adequate.
thank you for noticing.... I'm proud of not having desert camo inside
*EDIT*
yes thats an intel joke
Vapor1000

Last edited:
That's a dumb test. You could do the same to your CPU cooler when it's under load and it will probably be hot to the touch. Unless the VRMs are getting ~100C I doubt there's a problem. Also you already have 2 noctua industrial fans blowing across, that should be more than adequate.
I take it you haven't seen this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1632665/intel-x299-socket-2066-vrm-thread
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ing-problem-implicates-skylake-xs-design-well
Extremetech said:
About two weeks ago, we covered a report from overclocker der8auer, who claimed that the X299 VRM cooling situation was a disaster due to improper cooling decisions from a number of motherboard manufacturers. This kind of claim is always controversial, but it’s now been verified — and to some extent, sharpened and clarified — by more advanced testing.
OP does have a legitimate concern. His board appears to be an X99 instead of the newer X299's, but the issue with crappy VRM heatsink design has been an issue for a while now. It just got worse with the X299's because of even higher loads.

Basically, the heatsinks have those fancy covers and few fins. The air from his intake fans is just taking the simple path away from the VRM heatsinks because its going up and over his RAM. This leaves a bit of a hot pocket of air over the CPU socket and VRM's as the cooler air flows above it. What's worse, those VRM heatsinks have barely any exposed fins to catch any nearby air if any goes near them at all. So OP has the right idea putting a fan there.

Last edited:
I take it you haven't seen this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1632665/intel-x299-socket-2066-vrm-thread
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ing-problem-implicates-skylake-xs-design-well

OP does have a legitimate concern. His board appears to be an X99 instead of the newer X299's, but the issue with crappy VRM heatsink design has been an issue for a while now. It just got worse with the X299's because of even higher loads.

thank you.... mine is x99 but OC=MORE HEAT

I did find this though
upload_2017-11-10_19-46-41.png

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835236002
IDK if it will fit, but i could try for that price lol

Couple all of this with the fact that i have 1 980 ti classified in the case and 1 980 ti KINGPIN on the way for an SLI setup.... thats A LOT of heat rising up to the vrm for added heat.... i might mod the case

Last edited:
Whell.... I've gotta drive for about an hour, and I like you guys, but I'm not gonna crash cuz I was peekin at the nethers of GenMay. :) :-o ;-)

You could do that. However, that bracket is meant to clip onto your RAM. If it doesn't work for you, you could always take the fans off and zip tie them to the VRM heatsinks.
yeah, lower profile.....
And I would get use out of them, I'm a bit of a fan whore... and automatic control is my favorite..... It is so satisfying to see the looks on coworkers faces when you crank EVERY fan in your case to the max and they are looking at your rig like it has a chevy 454 BB in it....(my CWs dont computer)

Remember the old "Erector Set" toys? (Many of you won't I guess, it was a 60's thing)

They were lots of different size and shape metal parts that kids could build toys with.
Many of the parts were metal strips with holes that could be used as bracket parts for your use.
It was not heavy gauge stuff, so it was easily bendable or cut to size.

Looks like lots of sellers on Ebay with that stuff. The whole sets are expensive, but I saw some
sellers offering small parts sets for just a few bucks. Probably cheaper and easier than buying
and cutting/drilling your own parts.

ERECTOR-SET.jpg

I use bolts with epoxy when I need a small heatsink.

I am into ghetto and cheap so I have no problem with your mod.

Remember the old "Erector Set" toys? (Many of you won't I guess, it was a 60's thing)

They were lots of different size and shape metal parts that kids could build toys with.
Many of the parts were metal strips with holes that could be used as bracket parts for your use.
It was not heavy gauge stuff, so it was easily bendable or cut to size.

Looks like lots of sellers on Ebay with that stuff. The whole sets are expensive, but I saw some
sellers offering small parts sets for just a few bucks. Probably cheaper and easier than buying
and cutting/drilling your own parts.

View attachment 43029
Yeah.... Ever watch the Sand Lot....

I use bolts with epoxy when I need a small heatsink.

I am into ghetto and cheap so I have no problem with your mod.
I'm thinking about whipping out the TIG torch, make some pretty little welds on a hand made aluminum bracket

Works for me. I've had an 80mm resting on the back of my gpu to cool the vrm heatsinks too. Downside to water cooling.

That's funny. I have https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209044 for my VRM on my Asus Sabertooth X79. Bolts right to the motherboard and facing right towards the VRM.

I had it when I had a 3930k and never took it off when I got my 4930k. The 4930k is a lot easier to overclock than the 3930k
I like those, i might get something similar.
Works for me. I've had an 80mm resting on the back of my gpu to cool the vrm heatsinks too. Downside to water cooling.
hmm, I wonder if I could add a tiny fan to the backs of my GPUs and make a splitter so the fan runs off of the GPU fan header....

I like those, i might get something similar.

hmm, I wonder if I could add a tiny fan to the backs of my GPUs and make a splitter so the fan runs off of the GPU fan header....
Note that the fan resting on the back of the gpu isn't actually cooling the gpu, it's cooling the motherboard vrms. As far as cooling the back of the gpu, you'd be better off just putting an 80mm or 120mm fan facing the back of the card, connected to a motherboard header or molex, than trying to split the gpu fan header. Smaller fans are louder fans.

Back