My Vista 64 is brain dead help

crewzen

Gawd
I have had this Vista 64 working for over a year now, all of a sudden it wants passwords for the printer sharing and file shares when there are non. These things were working great for a year and now nothing. I can not even get my Vista to see the network at all.

It is all of a sudden dumb. Help what do I need to do to get this thing to work before I scrap Vista 64 for good and put XP x64 back on.

If it's been working great for a year, then don't be so quick to jump on the Vista's a POS bandwagon. I've had more problems with XP's networking than I have with Vista's, especially when it comes to XP--> Vista connections.

Anyway, what could you have changed or what updates have been installed since it last worked fine?

Also, check to see if "Password Protected Sharing" is turned on in Vista's "Network and Sharing Center" control panel.

I have checked password stuff but the problem seems to be that Vista can not even see the printer. So I cant hook back up to it. I can't even put the \\computer\printer into the equation. This is the fourth time I have had to install Vista again it has not been a good relationship for the last year at all. It keeps crashing every 4 months or so but my XP machines and this computer when I had XP x64 on it worked fine.

So yea I think Vista is a problem. But I am trying to work through them right now. With some help I hope.

If you have been using Vista in a normal way (ie. not deleting c:\program files (x86)\ to save space), and Vista has crashed to the point where you needed to install it four times over the course of a year, there's definitely something horribly wrong, and since Vista is *obviously* the problem and it can't possibly be hardware or user error, dump it and go back to XP64.

I have checked password stuff but the problem seems to be that Vista can not even see the printer. So I cant hook back up to it. I can't even put the \\computer\printer into the equation. This is the fourth time I have had to install Vista again it has not been a good relationship for the last year at all. It keeps crashing every 4 months or so but my XP machines and this computer when I had XP x64 on it worked fine.

So yea I think Vista is a problem. But I am trying to work through them right now. With some help I hope.

That's quite a different story than you told in the first post.

That is what I am going to do go back to x64 XP where raid arrays work correctly and the speed is what it should be and not this slo crap disk stuff. half of the drivers are not working with vista. OH it is a new computer 1 year old with a large scsi raid array. 8800gts 512 evga graphics. all the good things. But still the problems are access to things. I also do not like the way Vista deletes files it isnt liking. This thing thinks it has a brain but no.

I tried to make it simple. Not with all the problems and how many times things did not work out. Or how many thousands of fixes microsoft has sent out to me. for simple things that should be working that dont.

Like storage drivers and raid drivers on new cards not old stuff.

Just go back to XP x64. It definitely seems like you're not trying to find a resolution for your Vista problem, but just here to rant about Vista 64 being a problem.

Well what do you suggest as to what to look at for fixing the problem, that is why I have asked for help but get nothing but just give up. I do not know where else to look to fix the problem. All I am asking right now is how to fix printer sharing with the printer on an XP computer which shares with the other 5 computers but not with Vista?

Got a fix??

Well what do you suggest as to what to look at for fixing the problem, that is why I have asked for help but get nothing but just give up. I do not know where else to look to fix the problem. All I am asking right now is how to fix printer sharing with the printer on an XP computer which shares with the other 5 computers but not with Vista?

Got a fix??

i have a similar problem, its not the vista machine its the xp on the machine that is the printer host

steve

My printer is on XP and all the other computers 4 more XP'x and 1 win 2000 are all seing the printer and can print. It is only the Vista 64 computer that can not see the printer. Even if I manualy put in the printer location, it still can not find it. But what is strange is that it can find all the other computers hd's.

Not logical to me?

You dont really give us enough information other then vista sucks =/

What kind of routers, firewalls are you using?
Are they joined to a workgroup?
Are they all on the same subnet?
Are they using static IP addresses?
Obtaing IP addresses from DHCP?

With older wireless cards, I had trouble maintaining a rdp session vista to vista, but that was because of a driver issue. Update your drivers?

Vista does a lot better job with detecting other devices and network devices then XP does so I dont understand why you're having problems.

4 Installs over the past year definitely sounds like you're doing something wrong no offense, unless you're one of those fresh install types which you already negated with all the problems you're experiencing.

The Op's issue is not one of network problems but of windows' user authentication being broken. I am experiencing the same problem in that when i try to access one of my XP machines on the network from my Vista PC it is telling me that the password is incorrect. Accessing the Vista PC from the XP one yields no problems.

The original post is talking about much the same thing except he is trying to access a shared printer on the XP machine and is also getting an incorrect password when he knows it IS correct

Steve

Look in the security log of the event viewer and try to find the exact error. That tends to yield more fruitful searches.

What kind of routers, firewalls are you using?
Netgear router but not connectet to internet.

Using it for the switching with my wireless net & wired gnet.

Are they joined to a workgroup? Yes I have a work group

Are they all on the same subnet? I have no idea what you mean by sub net unless you are infering that it is sinking which it is!:D

Are they using static IP addresses? the IP's are assigned by me through the router.

Obtaing IP addresses from DHCP? no. This is a shared printer net that is all.

Yes they are they have been for a while. The problem came in with Vista, and it was even working for a while. But then everything just went to hell and quit working. Vista keeps asking for passwords and if I put the user password in it still will not work.

This problem might be part of Vista thinking it human and trying to fix things. Except it isn't.

So what ever the problem is, it has been caused by Vista being put on the gnet.

Have you checked to make sure the connection type is set to private or home and not public?

Can you ping the other PC? Do you have the firewall turned on with the XP PC? I've had that problem before and turning off the firewall fixed it.

probably a dumb idea but maybe your network discovery was accidently turned off.

more info here

i'm sure this is too simple to actually fix the problem though...GL!!

Can you ping the other PC? Do you have the firewall turned on with the XP PC? I've had that problem before and turning off the firewall fixed it.

Yes I can ping all the computers just cant print.

Since this is the last quote on my list I will inform you that I am going to redo the Vista computer to be a dual OS now that I have had so many problems with Vista 64.

I am installing two hot swap bays with switching, so that I can chose which drive bay will be the boot drive, Vista 64 or XP x64 then I will have my raid 5 array on its own raid card.

That way if I have things I have to do I can use XP x64 to do it with and work on Vista at my leasure.

This is an expensive comprumise but should be the best of both worlds.
Both drives will be scsi 15k x 174gb which should give me enough speed for boot drives.

Thanks again for the help. I think that vista just is trying to be smart and run things its way and not my way and it cant do it correctly yet. It needs some more fixes yet.

OH SP1 is Junk!! WoW thats scary.

Back