My video card is broken? Or something else?

Ravenheim

n00b
Hi, my brand new build came up with this issue just after a few days of use, on stock speeds. At first I thought the issue was the card, but now I think the issue may be something else.

The card is GTX 780 Ti. When I use it, in a game or Heaven benchmark for example, I start seeing red artifacts after about three seconds. A few seconds after that it all goes black and the rest is somewhat unknown. Sometimes Nvidia KERNEL error, sometimes the app crashes. Either way horrible lag continues until reboot. MSI Afterburner showed a HUGE Power% spike right when it crashes. Also happened in bios once. Sometimes I could boot successfully without getting artifacts and it stays like that until I use it. Going to return it to the store on monday, don't think I could have caused this.

What do you guys think?
And also I don't have my other motherboard available so I can't test the card on it. I am using my older video card on the new set-up and this one works just fine. I thought it might be the motherboard vrm since the card draws more power than this one so it enhances the effect or something.
The effect got gradually worse after each crash, at first it only happened on usage then it started happening on boot / in bios.

Power supply: Cooler Master G750M

Anyways images for you guys so you know what I'm talking about

270b69861a.jpg

31b8e7fcec.jpg

bc4cb71962.png

Basically, video card stopped responding and was restored.

Last edited:
More bad cards Nvidia side, then AMD side from all my years of using systems this goes for all my friends as well, Nv tend to use underspec parts that heat up and die so much faster. However this being a very new card sort of speak is terrible.

Who is the board partner for that specific card, EVGA,MSI etc? I had an old 8600GT that did stuff like that and kept getting worse till one day it just stopped working at all, those redline was the exact look it had as well, bad solder me thinks.

More bad cards Nvidia side, then AMD side from all my years of using systems this goes for all my friends as well, Nv tend to use underspec parts that heat up and die so much faster. However this being a very new card sort of speak is terrible.

Who is the board partner for that specific card, EVGA,MSI etc? I had an old 8600GT that did stuff like that and kept getting worse till one day it just stopped working at all, those redline was the exact look it had as well, bad solder me thinks.
AsRock Z97 Pro3, I haven't ever had a bad card like this :D
So the problem is surely in the card?

I cant imagine it would be anything but a bad card. Although if possible i would try to test the PSU with a similar power draw in another PC or with a different card, in case something was terribly wrong with it, but that seems highly, highly unlikely.

Cut the crap lol. Underspec parts.. more like bias remarks.

Make sure the cable from the 780ti to the monitor is fully connected, and there isn't any sign of a bad connection between the two. Sometimes a cable that isn't in completely can replicate these symptoms.

If that doesn't help, and you happen to have another PSU handy I would try that next.

Most support reps would probably initiate a RMA for you right away given the photo you've shown. So whoever is the vendor of your card I would get in contact with them and get the ball rolling.

Cut the crap lol. Underspec parts.. more like bias remarks.

Make sure the cable from the 780ti to the monitor is fully connected, and there isn't any sign of a bad connection between the two. Sometimes a cable that isn't in completely can replicate these symptoms.

If that doesn't help, and you happen to have another PSU handy I would try that next.

Most support reps would probably initiate a RMA for you right away given the photo you've shown. So whoever is the vendor of your card I would get in contact with them and get the ball rolling.

aww what's the matter, don't like someone dissing your favorite crap dealing company? If you actually read some before outright dismissing what is said, you will discover actual evidence, if you accept that evidence or not is up to you.

That is a voltage problem, so would be vregs, something they tend to have an issue with, but alas, just by the screenshot alone, makers would give an RMA for sure.

Back