My unpleasant experience with Smooth Creations

Wanted to share this to see if anyone has had any recent business dealings with Smooth Creations, good or bad.

Last September I decided for my next project I would contact them about custom-painting my new case. Nothing too fancy - just a solid bright red. The CEO Jim Saling replied back and agreed to paint the top and side panels.

To summarize this bizarre six-month ordeal, about every one to three weeks I would politely email Jim for an update and his response would indicate it would be painted and/or shipped by next week. This same pattern continued until I called him in early February. (I'm amazed he answered the phone since my calls always go to his voicemail and he does not return my messages; the VM greeting even says "call me back" during normal business hours.)

To my surprise, he told me over the phone the panels were already finished and he had been waiting on payment which he accepts by cash or check only. When I asked to see pictures of the finished product, he initially agreed to send them. I emailed SIX more times after that (over nine more days) - but he would not produce photos. Eventually he replied back that he shipped me the panels. (Without ever receiving my payment and, again, without showing me photos!)

That's when things began to really derail. I emailed him FIVE more times for a tracking number so I could send payment. Eventually this missing package he sent was over two weeks past the shipping date. During this entire time he began replying back with false delivery dates (but no tracking number). At one point he finally sent me a picture of the painted panels - which is odd if he had already shipped them to me. I guess he didn't realize it was titled by his camera with a date of 2/19/15 - revealing it was taken more than a week after the package supposedly shipped!

In my last communication with him he explained the package was held up in his shipping department (so where were his delivery dates coming from?) and that he told me from the start they don't really do this kind of work anymore. (If he had told me that, why would I have even sent him the panels?) He told me that he was going to finally mail it to me using three-day shipping, email me a tracking number, and that no payment was necessary. That was nearly a week ago - but still no tracking number. And still no package.

I've now had to actually buy a new PC case because of all this. It's my hope that anyone considering dealing with Mr. "Smooth" Saling would strongly reconsider. It's by no means worth the stress and aggravation. This has resulted in nothing except wasted time and money - but the real tragedy is how the Smooth Creations brand has been truly ruined for me by all this.

Wow that's horrible. FrozenCPU's sister company? Have you started leaving reviews on their site, Google, Facebook, etc? Since he doesn't have your CC# there isn't much they can do about it, it's not like you will ever see those parts again anyways.

Yesterday I did email the editors of Maximum PC about my experience since they feature Smooth Creations so often in their articles. (And I copied Jim in to boot. :) )

After that, the next 24 hours got a little crazy. Late last night Jim emailed me to say the panels shipped and I would be getting a tracking number. Of course - I've received this exact same email from him multiple times before so after no tracking number arrived by late afternoon today I replied back that I was getting tired of this and he would be hearing from the Better Business Bureau.

This prompted him to reply back suggesting this will end up with his lawyer and then - a little over an hour later - lo and behold I finally received an email with a FedEx tracking number. He actually shipped it like he said!

I still cannot fathom why this entire transaction turned into a weird email battle. All he ever had to do was be truthful, I would have sent him payment, and that would have been the end of it. It's truly the strangest company I've ever dealt with.

Ironically, this isn't even my first case with a Smooth Creations paint job. (My last case was a limited edition Cooler Master by SC which I ordered directly from newegg.)

Guess no more custom paint-jobs for me.

Wow that's horrible. FrozenCPU's sister company? Have you started leaving reviews on their site, Google, Facebook, etc? Since he doesn't have your CC# there isn't much they can do about it, it's not like you will ever see those parts again anyways.

FrozenCPU is out of business last I heard, they currently aren't taking any orders at all.

so this may be related if they are sister companies.

Yep - ironically while all this was going on I ordered a fan through FrozenCPU as well. They charged my credit card but never shipped it. I ended up disputing the charge since they wouldn't answer their phones or emails.

I had not heard they were sister companies but the experience was similar. :)

FROZEN CPU IS DONE DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM OR SISTER COMPANIES!!! They claim to be operating a skeleton crew but that is bullshit, owner had some kind of drug problem i believe

Back