My UK Xbox 360 customer service experience - abysmal.

John

Limp Gawd
About three or four weeks ago my launch Xbox 360 died while playing Guitar Hero 2. It crashed, I rebooted, and I got the red ring of death.

I called Microsoft's customer service number and was put through to some guy who asked for my details. First off the serial number, easy enough. Then my email address and address. I was told "Sorry, your information is not correct. Please check on xbox.com and call us again". At this point I realised that the information he was after was that which I gave when I registered the console (years ago when the Xbox 360 launch), not that which was used with my Live account. I tried to explain, but instead he came back at me with the same "Sorry, please check your information on xbox.com and call us again". I had the correct information, but he wouldn't let me give it to him.

So, I called again and got someone different. I gave the correct info and days later I arranged for UPS to collect my console. (Note: Over here in the UK Microsoft don't provide you with any packaging to ship your console back to them.)

Three to four weeks later...

First off, and most importantly - they sent the thing back without the faceplate. I don't know how the fuck you can send one of these things out and forget the faceplate, but they did it. Even more annoying, there's no way for me to prove it - but there's proof for this:

Now, this console was in mint conditon when I shipped it out - now some of the vent holes are deformed, the DVD tray has two impact notches (even though it's clearly a different drive), and there are a few minor scuff marks on the case that weren't there before.

Am I overreacting? Some people will no doubt say that I should deal with the minor defects and buy a faceplate. I know that compared to some of the stories I've read, this is nothing - but I collect console hardware, and I look after it well. (You might notice the NTSC and NTSC-J 360s in the background.) When I send a faulty piece of hardware back for repair in otherwise mint conditon, I expect it back in mint condition without pieces of it missing.

I'm away from home for the next few days, but when I get back I'm calling the Indian call centre to see what they'll do about it. Does anyone know what Microsoft's policy is on fixing the damage they cause when they rape your machine? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hang on a second, I left my shock and surprise out in the car :)

Xbox 360 service, just as fucked now as it was a year ago.

That stinks.

MS really do not deserve to have sold 10M of these consoles with service like that.

I dread to think what kind of nightmare await me WHEN my console goes RROD. Thats a when, not an if.

Its gonna happen to all of us at some point (multiple times)

That stinks.

MS really do not deserve to have sold 10M of these consoles with service like that.

I dread to think what kind of nightmare await me WHEN my console goes RROD. Thats a when, not an if.

Its gonna happen to all of us at some point (multiple times)

Well, to be fair they've done a brilliant job of getting the software in place (and also, they'd sold 11.6 million at the end of June, it's certainly up past 12 million by now), and the 360's services are second to none.

And, if the rumors and such are true, the problems should be relegated to the older units at this point.

Now, this console was in mint conditon when I shipped it out - now some of the vent holes are deformed, the DVD tray has two impact notches (even though it's clearly a different drive), and there are a few minor scuff marks on the case that weren't there before.

Did the console you received back damaged have your serial number on it because I've heard Microsoft send back so called refurbished units and not necessarily the one thats to sent them.

Did the console you received back damaged have your serial number on it because I've heard Microsoft send back so called refurbished units and not necessarily the one thats to sent them.

Yep, it's the same console.

Yep, it's the same console.

That's what I call "Just fuckin' lovely". So nice to know their cheap-ass, bargain-basement, minimum-wage service centers treat the consoles you send in with such respect.

Jesus, no wonder the return rate is so high, they probably fix the consoles just fine, it's just that they *throttle* them before sending them back out.

you should be grateful that you recieved yours within 3-4 weeks i had to wait 5-6 weeks for mine, only to have it get the red ring has sooon has i turned the fucker on!! now i have to wait another 5-6 weeks!!! So count yourself lucky compared to my situation. i have been without a working 360 since JUNE my friend

Call em and complain, cuz thats seriously messed up.

I'm pretty sure they say to remove the faceplate before shipping it; I'm guessing they popped it off to do work on it and never thought to put it back on. Honestly, if the paper that came with the coffin said that, that's your fault.

It still sucks. The other stuff sucks even worse. Best thing to do is give them a call.

I would call and complain. It is unsatisfactory for a company to send you back a product in worse asthetic shape than when you sent it to them.

Mine is in the box ready to go back, hopefully Canada's service is a bit better because the condition you go yours back in is a joke. Also there was no mention to remove the stock faceplate, I can't believe they didn't send yours back with the 360.

Back