My TV has color stream, is that Component? (Wii)

Discussion in 'Console Gaming & Acc.' started by Direwolf20, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

My television has a "Color Stream" (or ColorStream) input mode. When I get home from work later today, I'll take a picture of the cable inputs.

I was wondering, does anyone know what "Color Stream" is, and should I get the Wii Component cables?

I"m sorry for being such a newb :). I'll get pictures of these inputs later today. Maybe someone knows from experience if this "Color Stream" thing will work? I have no idea what it is, all I know is its something for DVD players.

-----------------

EDIT: Here is the picture. Looks good to me. Right?

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3784/dsc00003qe3.jpg

2. Namork

Namork Limp Gawd

You have a Toshiba right? So do I and thats pretty much just what they call Component. I have no clue why, they just do.

3. cieje

cieje Limp Gawd

as far as I know colorstream is just a title touted by toshiba for their component output. However, depending on your tv's capabilities... it may or may not be a hdtv/edtv input.

4. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

Yea, I'm pretty sure its a Toshiba. So should I get the Wii Component cables then?

5. cieje

cieje Limp Gawd

it has component inputs yes. As for if it's progressive (edtv) or better who knows unless the tv supports it.

Either way, you'll almost definatelly notice a picture quality difference at least. I'd say go for it.

6. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

Ok. So either way, there'll be some kind of improvement?

Cool, I'll go for it and see what I can do.

7. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

BUMP --- I just linked the picture. Thanks for the info guys.

8. CKMorpheus

CKMorpheus [H]ard|Gawd

Yep component. Enjoy!

9. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

ONE last question -- Sorry.

I just found the manual for my TV, it says:

The ColorStream inputs on this TV are for use with devices that output 480i interlaced signals ONLY. This TV will not accept or display 480p or 720p progressive scan signals, or 1080i interlaced...blah blah blah.

So, my question is, is there a benefit to getting the components still? The way I understand this is (relatively speaking):

Composite = Low Quality
    Component 480i = Medium Quality
    Component 480p = High Quality

Is the 480i Component worth it?

10. roz1281

roz1281 Gawd

yes still worth it, the pic gets very clear especially if you're a blind mofo like me.

11. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d [H]ard|Gawd

More like...

Compsite = Lowest
    Component 480i = Low
    Component 480p = Medium

Until you get into the HD's it's not really high quality

12. Direwolf20

Direwolf20 2[H]4U

Right, I was speaking relatively about what the Wii is capable of.

Ok, I'll order the cables, thanks for everyone putting up with my dumb questions :).

13. JCJones86

JCJones86 Gawd

Yup, I've got a Toshiba 32" CRT with "Color Stream." It may not be HDTV or EDTV, but it sure looks better than composite/s-video!

14. Espo

Espo [H]Lite

Colorstream is the name Toshiba gave component when they put it on their Tvs. I think they were hopping to collect some licencing fees for other companys that wanted to use the same name but other companys just called it component and didnt pay.

15. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

I'm running the Wii component cables on a 32" with the "ColorStream" component input as well, no 480P (don't try if your TV specifies it doesn't support it, it won't give any picture and you'll have to fumble around blind until you manage to turn it back to 480i like I did not sure of if mine supported progressive scan). 480i with the component cables looks far superior as it is a far sharper picture with more vibrant colors and less blurry edges.

16. MrSneis

MrSneis 2[H]4U

I have owned a few toshiba TV's for a while now and the colorstream while a unique feature isn't all it's cracked up to be. I swear that S-video actually looks better than the component cable out, also if you try using component cables with an xbox360 + a toshiba CRT you won't get picture, been there done that :( I guess regular TV's just weren't meant to have component cables.

*Puts flame suit on*

17. JCJones86

JCJones86 Gawd

There is likely a setting for the XBox 360 to turn progressive off. You'd need to do this before plugging component cables into a TV that doesn't support anything above 480i. I had to do this with the regular cables on my PS2 before connecting the component cables.

18. MrBojangels

MrBojangels Gawd

No....All he has to do is NOT SWITCH THE CABLES TO HDTV, leave the switch on the cables on SD or else the 360 will output 480p/720p/1080i/1080p over the component

19. lesman

lesman 2[H]4U

Lol, component is capable of delivering all SD and HD resolutions, including 480i. I gamed on my Sanyo 27" SDTV on 480i for 3 months using component.

Colorstream is just a little buzzword to make people go "oooohh, colorstream!!11one1!" ;)

It's the same thing as component. In fact...it IS component...just with a different name.

Component, in theory, and most of the time in practice, is better than S-Video. Sometimes, S-Video can be viewed as being "better" than component, but it's usually because the said will lack quality materials in the component video inputs.