My TitanX got fried for no apparent reason

StormClaw

Gawd
EDIT UPDATE: It turns out that it was the AIO watercooler that leaked. Deepcool Captain 360. After 1 year the water pump degraded and dripped coolant onto the top card. nVidia is not to blame.

I've had two Titan X cards for about a year now.

Never OCd them or did anything weird. They seen very little action because i didn't game much (put together a top rig but lost interest pretty soon. Maybe i'm just growing old for gaming).

What happened:
- came back home after a weeks vacation
- the room is dry and warm (no humidity)
- turn on PC to do some work (MS Word)
- after 1 min screen turns all garbled
- PC shuts down
- I start it up again and look inside the case
- topmost card sparks up and smoke starts coming out
- PC shuts down
- i pull out the card and it's covered in some kind of sticky motor-like oily stuff (smells like that too). Apparently it short-circuited.

What i think happened is some kind of oxidation process inside the card. I didn't take it apart cause it's screwed together very tight. Maybe there is some kind of part inside that contains this kind of motor-oil liquid, i dont know,

Can't RMA because i bought it while i was in US and brought to Europe.

Second card that was SLId is fine.

Pics:

https://i.imgur.com/0juQE2A.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KnhGVtK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NPboDNT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/g4ycY1S.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Sh6bz3h.jpg

Last edited:
Anything that could've dripped onto the card from above? Sucks man but at least you have a reason to grab a couple Titan Vs.

Anything that could've dripped onto the card from above? Sucks man but at least you have a reason to grab a couple Titan Vs.
I have an aftermarket liquid CPU cooler (Corsair) but it looks like the sticky-oily stuff is coming out of the card itself (out of the seams).

I am running the rig on the second card now and all looks fine (no leakage anywhere).

What does the are look like around your computer?

Do you have a water cooler?
Everything is fine inside and the Corsair liquid block is dry to the touch and working fine.

I suppose if it had been the cooler leaking, then other components would have fried also (motherboard, etc).

It looks like the sticky liquid is coming out of the card seam (maybe the ball-bearer grease from the cards fan or something, i don't know)

The pics look like thermal pad grease. That happens when there are pads under the backplate, totally normal. It should only leak through if there are holes in the backplate though.

The pics look like thermal pad grease. That happens when there are pads under the backplate, totally normal. It should only leak through if there are holes in the backplate though.
Yeah, you could be spot on.

This grease is oozing out of the card seams. I didn't do anything to the card, just plugged it once and that's it.

I'm not as mad about the $1200 i spent on it, as i am mad on nVidia's shit design that this kind of stuff happened.

Turns me off from buying the new cards the announced.

Not sure about the capacitors on video cards but I've seen blown caps leak oily goo when they pop.

I'm not as mad about the $1200 i spent on it, as i am mad on nVidia's shit design that this kind of stuff happened..

I....don't get this. I'm not trying to sound like some nvidia apologist, but what exactly about their design is shit that you can prove without a shadow of a doubt?

I didn't get mad and call Seasonic's design shit when my high-end X1250xm power supply died a miserable death, while several lower end PSUs of various makes that I have are still kicking to this day, several years later.

Electronics can fail, it's just a reality of life.

Yeah, you could be spot on.

This grease is oozing out of the card seams. I didn't do anything to the card, just plugged it once and that's it.

I'm not as mad about the $1200 i spent on it, as i am mad on nVidia's shit design that this kind of stuff happened.

Turns me off from buying the new cards the announced.
Don't feel too bad it's only worth like $300 today.

If you want the best right now and are immune to buyers remorse the Titan V makes sense. ;)

Why can't you RMA since you bought it in the US and took it to Europe? Last time I checked, Nvidia sells these "world-wide" from their online store. And I failed at finding any tiny text in their store that says the warranty is only valid for the country you bought it in. Of course I may have forgotten to use my computer glasses!? But that would be worth an email to double-check.

The maker of the aio gona cover the cost of the damage or is it a f u?

Last edited:
Supposedly DEEPCOOL will "Help" reimburse you, however after reading this I just ordered a Mugen 5, which should be here Monday... I have probably pushed my luck enough on my 240, I bought it at release for $76...

Fractal Design Celsius S36, 360 Rad, totally silent with 8700k running 100% @ 60C max temp (stock/boost freq. running Kombuster CPU stress test, Kombuster furry donut and Unigine Heaven simultaneously).
This Liquid CPU cooler received very good reviews ...

Fractal Design Celsius S36, 360 Rad, totally silent with 8700k running 100% @ 60C max temp (stock/boost freq. running Kombuster CPU stress test, Kombuster furry donut and Unigine Heaven simultaneously).

The one the OP was using? I mean I am sure a lot of the AIO received good reviews.... doesn't change the fact that it just took out his Titan lol

They're all great until they leak lol.

Back