My Titan X is dead

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
I got the card last night. This morning I fired up Borderlands 2 and found that the fan had failed.

RMA time. :(

Are you really going to use the stock cooler? I would just get a waterblock for the thing.

Where did you buy yours from? I was reading on another forum some guy was missing thermal pads on the memory

Where did you buy yours from? I was reading on another forum some guy was missing thermal pads on the memory

I understand that QC issues can plague the industry, but for a $1000 flagship product with a limited production run I expect some Six Sigma action!

T grove the point was even if something can be expensive its not immune to problems since a lot of people seem to make or seem to believe nvidia is better or superior when thats not the case.

Are you really going to use the stock cooler? I would just get a waterblock for the thing.

Even if he chose to put a block on it, sweeping his broken cooler under the rug does not fix the fact a $1000 product has quickly faulted.

Good luck w/ your RMA!

Ouch but instead of RMA can't you send it back to shop and get money back ?
This early in your ownership, I would also just exchange it for a new one or get a refund at this point. Don't even bother with an RMA.

If this was bought off nvidia site I'm kinda interested to see how an RMA goes with them, if you do go that route

It should work perfectly at stock speeds with the stock cooler. A failure that early and I'd be sending it back too.

Did the fan ever work?

Maybe it just isn't plugged in, I'd check that first.

Heh. It worked perfectly to start with. I left it on overnight and woke to find it dead.

Heh. It worked perfectly to start with. I left it on overnight and woke to find it dead.

some of them nvidia cards fans supposed to turn off at times but i guess titan is not one of them.....first i have heard one of those fans going bad, but i guess shit happens

They're supposed to throttle themselves. Apart from holidays, my 780 Ti has been on pretty much continuously since I bought it.

OCUK have emailed me to confirm the fault and say I'll be getting a replacement, but it seems it will take about 2 weeks.

Or he could RMA it and get what he paid for. Obviously he didn't want or need a waterblock when he purchased it.

Bummer dude, hope the RMA process goes swimmingly.

Here's an early one: I ran up Borderlands 2 with all settings maxxed apart from AA and Palit's Thundermaster reported it using over 50% VRAM (that's over 6 GB). I guess it's able to load the whole level's textures at once.

Here's an early one: I ran up Borderlands 2 with all settings maxxed apart from AA and Palit's Thundermaster reported it using over 50% VRAM (that's over 6 GB). I guess it's able to load the whole level's textures at once.

Your "quiet pc" system confuses me so much.....a 3770s with a 460watt passive PSU and a TITAN X??? Wut???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

Your "quiet pc" system confuses me so much.....a 3770s with a 460watt passive PSU and a TITAN X??? Wut???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

Why should it confuse you? It's totally silent in 2-D mode, with the only noise being the GPU fan when the action heats up in games.

By the by, when the fan was broken and the card throttling like mad, the card still managed a very creditable 15-20 FPS in BL2 with all details maxxed etc.

Why should it confuse you? It's totally silent in 2-D mode, with the only noise being the GPU fan when the action heats up in games.

Seems your psu might not be up to the task.

Minimum System Requirements

System Power Supply
Minimum 600 W or greater system power supply with two 6-pin
PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

taken from nvidia's titan x user guide at :
http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce-gtx/GTX_TITAN_X_User_Guide.pdf

Exactly... This guy has no clue about his systems needs. There is so much wrong with his setup I don't even know where to start.

Seems your psu might not be up to the task.

It works just fine. And it worked fine for over a year with a 780 Ti with the same power requirements. Those figures are given to cope with dreadful no-name PSUs which give nowhere near the wattage on the label.

Yeah, the PSU should be fine. It provides 38A on the 12V rail, which is the requirement for a Titan X. Looks like the rest of the system is really minimal as well.

https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

Tom's measurements show that the card uses 224W --> 18.67A while gaming, so there should be plenty to cover the current for the CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-gm200-maxwell,4091-5.html

It sounds like some people haven't checked benchmarks in awhile either. A 4C/8T that goes up to 3.9 GHz will do perfectly fine in most games as well. Hell you need to get to an i3 before it becomes an issue.

Last edited:
The titan x uses 250 watts max and the 3770s 65. People needs to stop drinking the "NEEDZ ALL TEH WATTAGE" koolaid lol.

edit: oops, for some reason my browser took me to page 2 instead of 3. You guys already cleared this up.

Back