My thoughts on the Samsung T260 (26” monitor)

phoenixfx

n00b
Finally it arrived today, I am in Japan, therefore monitors are slightly more expensive here compared to US. I paid around $430 at the current exchange rate (it might sound a bit too much, but that is because the dollar has fallen against the yen over the last couple of months, if I use the conversion rate from just a couple of months back, then the price is like $350).

This is the second 26 (25.5”) I tried. First I bought an LG W2600V-FP ( for ~$20 less). Factory settings were just horrible, it had a very strong yellow tint, I had to change many different settings to get an acceptable color output. However, even after spending close to an hour I couldn’t get very natural looking colors. There might have been a problem with that particular unit because I cant imagine how the factory defaults can be that far off from real settings. To make things worse it had a blue dead pixel right on the middle. Even though it was not very noticeable, given all the problems I decided to return it. Then I ordered the Samsung.

Right out of the box I was impressed with the design; looks very sleek. Factory default colors were far better than the LG, with just some small tweaking I was able to get very natural looking vibrant colors. Default 100% brightness it too much, therefore I had to turn it down to around 50%.

And no dead pixels! :D

Monitor is shipped with 1x VGA cable, 1x DVI cable (NO HDMI) and a power cable along with a quick start guide and a CD containing monitor driver, color profiles, MagicTune, Multi screen, and Natural Color programs.

Here are some photos :
Box : Pretty colorful box, not a standard brown colored cardboard box.
boxqs1.jpg

Monitor:
monitorlk5.jpg

When looking directly color shift at the top and bottom is very small, unless you look very carefully at a single color image it is hardly noticeable. I also found the viewing angles to be quite satisfactory. I think better than the LG W2600V. Here are some photos taken at various angles :

Straight
straightkc9.jpg

~45 degrees from side
45lefthr8.jpg

~70 degrees from side (140 viewing angle)
160leftjx6.jpg

~45 degrees from top
45topyv0.jpg

~45 degrees from bottom
45bottomhw0.jpg

Back light leakage is very little and in reality it looks very good. In the following image I think the camera picked up more light than what can be seen by the naked eye, maybe because the room was totally dark.
Blank screen (light leak)
lightleakdm3.jpg

Blue screen (to check brightness distribution and viewing angle color distortions from ~2 feet from monitor)
blueaw5.jpg

EVEREST Monitor info:
everestzs6.gif

The bottom edge of the screen starts at 12cm from the table surface, IMO that is a little bit too high, lack of a height adjustable base can be a problem for some. I had to raise my chair to get a comfortable viewing position. I should also mention that this monitor doesn’t support VESA wall mounting, however, I did see few places selling a separate VESA wall mounting bracket for T240/T260, but couldn’t find any information on that.

Right now I don’t have a gaming PC, but planning to build one sometime next year. Till then this monitor will be mostly used for standard desktop work and watching movies. Overall, I’m quite pleased with the monitor, and I think this is one of the better 26” TN panels out there. a worthy upgrade from my previous 22" iiyama LCD. :)

Huh, those viewing angles are really good. I saw the T240HD on display at a local Costco. I looked at it from several different angles and I didn't notice any color shift until I looked at it from the bottom like in your image. I was impressed.

How's the response time + input lag on it? I hear its alot less than the HD version?

Looks pretty nice. Doesn't make much sense spending $500+ on a PVA panel that still has angle/shift problems. I may as well pick up one of these and wait for OLED or IPS prices to come down a bit.

Has anyone compared this with the new Samsung 2443bx?

Looks pretty nice. Doesn't make much sense spending $500+ on a PVA panel that still has angle/shift problems. I may as well pick up one of these and wait for OLED or IPS prices to come down a bit.

Has anyone compared this with the new Samsung 2443bx?

The T220/HD, T240/HD, and T260/HD are all TN panels.

Right. I was saying there doesn't seem to be much point in buying $500-600 S-PVA's which still suffer from angle and shift issues. May as well buy a TN while waiting for IPS or OLED.

I have a 2693HM which is also a 25.5" samsung screen and I'm pretty impressed with it. Horizontal viewing angles arent that bad....but the vertical is what kills it.

Huh, those viewing angles are really good. I saw the T240HD on display at a local Costco. I looked at it from several different angles and I didn't notice any color shift until I looked at it from the bottom like in your image. I was impressed.

How's the response time + input lag on it? I hear its alot less than the HD version?

Yes, I think they are good too... watched a couple of full HD clips and a DVD movie on it last night, everything looked pretty good.

Sorry, I don’t have a gaming PC, games nor a CRT monitor. Using a DELL M1330 notebook (8400M GS). Therefore I can’t test or comment on the input lag.

I ran pixperan and noticed a bit of ghosting (no worse than other LCDs I've seen). Will try to post some more photos later when I get home. However, I only have a Canon SD870 P&S camera, therefore results might not be that good.. but lets see...

Right. I was saying there doesn't seem to be much point in buying $500-600 S-PVA's which still suffer from angle and shift issues. May as well buy a TN while waiting for IPS or OLED.

I assume you mean P-MVA? I have one, and there are no angle or shift issues with it whatsoever. I've had a number of TNs as well, so I do know what I'm looking for.

I have this monitor as well & it has been the biggest purchase of 2008 hands down. Money well spent! For the games I use it's great & I don't notice lag.

Back