My take on Deus EX: HR

Soyo13

Gawd
Bought this game back in Sept 2011, played for 20 hours but had to put it on hold due to college. But came back to it after my winter break ended.

Never before have I enjoyed a single mode game as much as I did with this game. I enjoyed it enough to get every single achievements.

Ran through it twice, first time around was on the Give me Deus EX mode and it took me ~90 hours. And then wanted to get the rest of achievements so ran through it again ignoring most of the hacking and mobs, ended up with 114 hours total.

Deus%20EX.jpg

Was a great game but was glad to finally complete it. Spent way too much time on this game past two weeks (65 hours according to Steam)

My biggest let down was how easy the last boss was even on the hardest mode. The ending wasn't epic enough. *Shrugs*

Awesome, I agree this is one of the best games recently, the storyline is incredible. If you haven't, pick up The Missing Link DLC for more content, its a very good DLC.

I really want to get into this game I just have a horrible backlog of games and projects I'm working on.

I started playing the missing link and got frustrated within minutes. I'm just not hardcore enough, I guess. I will keep at it, though. I played the main game 40 hours or so and then had to do a re-format and forgot to keep my saves. I wish the save files all went to one place.

I'm actually going to wait unti more DLC comes out to warrant yet another run through. Gonna play other games for now until then.

Yeah some of the augs are either worthless or to overpowered. Maybe I'll try a run through without any augs. Heh

Can't quite answer that question about comparing Deus Ex: HR to Mass Effect series as I haven't played any of the Mass Effect series. Maybe I will now that you mention it.

Soyo13: How does it compare to mass effect 1 and 2, in your opinion?

I'm not Soyo13, but I will personally say that as an experience DX:HR has a great narrative and story line. It is very linear but the flexibility in the players style of game play has made it one of the few single player games I've bothered with more than 1 play through.

DeusEx and Mass Effect vary in many ways however. The gameplay is fundamentally different. The sneaking and stealth is similar to Metal Gear Solid as is the ability to knock out or kill enemies. The weapon system is more first person shooter based with a collection based upgrade system. DX:HR then is much more of an action/stealth game with emergent gameplay in the form of how you choose to upgrade your character and how you decide to get past, overcome, or shoot through obstacles. Generally speaking, every situation can be solved in 1 of 3 ways (and each of those 1 of 3 ways depends on the situation and the obstacle.) It is also notable that it's possible to beat DX without killing anyone (except the boss fights.)
This of course is fundamentally different to Mass Effect in which there are no puzzles and the decisions generally speaking are made through dialog trees. Dialog trees also exist in DX, but even if you get an "unfavorable outcome" like someone not wanting to give you information, it's usually still possible to get the objective completed via some other method.

I would probably say then that Mass Effect is huge on story, decisions (through conversations, etc) and to some degree: exploration.
DeusEx is more about methodology of completing goals. Should I sneak, hack, or kill a bunch of people? Is it better to try to get past this camera via a direct route or punch through this wall? Would I rather cloak to get past people or throw a concussion grenade? Etc. It's a strange mix of skill customization like Skyrim, sneaking stealth and combat like Metal Gear Solid, and excellent story telling like Mass Effect.

Not sure if that answers your question, but the long story short, if you like these sorts of elements, it's an excellent game.

Wouldn't be able to say it as well as Unknownsoujier did. So there you have it That's corporate.

I felt that on a technical level, Deus EX HR was everything Mass Effect SHOULD have been. Playing Deus Ex HR made me realize how much the Mass Effect series has fallen short and been dumbed down.

Everyone should play Deus Ex HR

I never spent a point the vision augs or the hack augs to view network %. :eek:

Other than that,love the game play :p

Wish it performed better on my system , i won't sacrifice quality for more frames :mad:

I felt that on a technical level, Deus EX HR was everything Mass Effect SHOULD have been. Playing Deus Ex HR made me realize how much the Mass Effect series has fallen short and been dumbed down.

While I love the Mass Effect games, I kind of agree with you, especially when compared to the second ME. Since Bioware wants to make ME more of a shooter than an RPG, as evidenced by ME2 and probably the third, they would do well to make the shooter gameplay as compelling as the gameplay is in Deus Ex: HR.

I'm generally not a fan of stealth, but the stealth options are so much fun in DE:HR.

Well, I don't think it's really fair to say this because I think each of the games' focus was very different. I'm not sure the budget of both games but they were both massively funded, that much is true. Mass Effect has spent it's time/money developing the story. The interaction of the story components is amazing. For Mass Effect 3 there are 1000 variables that will have to get wrapped up based upon choices you've made. Mass Effect then has an enormous focus on the narrative and focusing the player on that and also the universe of Mass Effect itself.

Deus Ex is obviously more about the gameplay. But to be honest with you, if I wanted, I could complain more about the gameplay in DX than Mass Effect. As an example, I compared stealth in DX with MGS. MGS however has been out since the PS era and evolved its stealth significantly which is something DX didn't even bother to do. Some examples of that is how obstacles are overcome and how sneaking is done. In MGS 2 you can hop off the side of walkways and hang on to objects to sneak around enemies. You could do silent non-leathal close up take downs. There are systems in place to distract enemies by making noises (knocking) to bring enemies around while you take an alternate route. You can hide in a greater variety of areas like lockers etc, unavailable in DX. I constantly found myself frustrated in DX by simple things like being able to jump over specific obstacles that you can't do in the game.

DX then is far from perfect and if I wanted to play the critic game I could keep on going (I have other things that bugged me as well.) However that doesn't detract me from saying it was an excellently constructed game with plenty of options for customization that are not often seen in gaming.

The Mass Effect series has it's faults too, but disliking the core elements and gameplay for what they are I think is unfair to the style of game it is. I can understand if combat is the most important part of gameplay to you, why ME then let you down. But ME isn't really a game about combat. It's a game about Space Opera, dialog, and choices resounding deeply in the game world, which is something DX can't even touch.

Are they both perfect? No. But sincerely and honestly DX and the ME series are both incredibly excellent games and probably the best games made in the last 5 years.... easily. Can I change your mind? Of course not, but I made this post in the hope and interest of fairness of what both these games are about and what they offer.

I started playing the missing link and got frustrated within minutes. I'm just not hardcore enough, I guess. I will keep at it, though. I played the main game 40 hours or so and then had to do a re-format and forgot to keep my saves. I wish the save files all went to one place.
The full body scanner that you'll have to go through every 5 minutes will piss you off to no end. I almost didn't finish it because of it. By far the most frustrating in-game mechanic I can think of.

Agreed. The game was very fun but the ending was meh.

I decided to play through it again a few weeks ago, killed the last boss and didn't bother picking an ending. heh

Steam cloud?

The full body scanner that you'll have to go through every 5 minutes will piss you off to no end. I almost didn't finish it because of it. By far the most frustrating in-game mechanic I can think of.
Would you prefer loading screens instead? Because that's what the game is doing while you're in those scanners.

Would you prefer loading screens instead? Because that's what the game is doing while you're in those scanners.
Honestly? Yes, I would. Because if the game loads in 5 seconds, I get to play the game in 5 seconds, not 30 (numbers are just examples, of course). I wouldn't have as much problem with it, if the game was progressing forward the entire time. But when I'm forced to run back and forth, then it's a problem for me. The DLC wasn't that big to warrant such a PITA loading screen, IMO.

Take Mass Effect for example, with the elevators. It was the same thing, but if the level loaded in 5 sec, I got to play the level right there and then... I didn't have to wait additional 25 sec just to watch the same animation over and over again. I'm nitpicking, I know that, and it's a very small part of the game that shouldn't really matter all that much, but when I play the game I want to enjoy my time, and not having to think in the back of my head "well.... shit, this thing again. better be sure I finished everything on this side" :p

Honestly? Yes, I would. Because if the game loads in 5 seconds, I get to play the game in 5 seconds, not 30 (numbers are just examples, of course). I wouldn't have as much problem with it, if the game was progressing forward the entire time. But when I'm forced to run back and forth, then it's a problem for me. The DLC wasn't that big to warrant such a PITA loading screen, IMO.

Take Mass Effect for example, with the elevators. It was the same thing, but if the level loaded in 5 sec, I got to play the level right there and then... I didn't have to wait additional 25 sec just to watch the same animation over and over again. I'm nitpicking, I know that, and it's a very small part of the game that shouldn't really matter all that much, but when I play the game I want to enjoy my time, and not having to think in the back of my head "well.... shit, this thing again. better be sure I finished everything on this side" :p
To be honest, I don't really care either way, but the fact is that the game would take the same amount of time to load regardless of the way in which the loading process is presented to you.

To be honest, I don't really care either way, but the fact is that the game would take the same amount of time to load regardless of the way in which the loading process is presented to you.
Actually, at least in ME2 this was not true. You could get a modded loading screen which would finish loading as soon as ... well ... it finished loading rather than the 30 second video they used as standard loading screen animation.

TBH, I am 23 hours into DXHR and I find it average at best. I paid $10 for it on Amazon and for that it was worth it but I don't think its better than ME2. In fact, I had more fun in Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 3 than I have in DX. I am doing the side missions but I am not into achievement farming since to me that's just a cheap way by devs to extend the playtime without to actually offer additional content.

I played the original DX and I loved it, but that was years ago. Today I don't really appreciate being locked into a small world unless it's a tunnel shooter like Metro that has the visuals to make up for the lack of open spaces.

The DX story line is OK but nothing that keeps you on the edge of your seat guessing what's happening. I think overall there is less emotional attachment to the character than I had in SR3 for example.

I think a big part of what makes me like DX less is that
the choices you make in the game have no bearing on the outcome/endgame
and in that DX is really falls way short of expectations.

I'm not quite finish with my play through (will finish tonight). Its ok - i like the game play (though I tend to kill folks who piss me off) but the story is a bit convoluted. The only major 'sentiment' I've had so far is when I had to save Malik. I mean how could I let her die?
-
Other than that it has sort of just been one task after another - which is not a bad thing. I hear missling link helps smooth things out - so maybe next time it is on sale I'll pick it up and play a second time.
-
I wish the map would mark places you've discovered (such as gun dealers) so they would be easier to find again.
-
I think I kind of prefer mass effect (they are longer games and have more annoyance part - such as mining for elements in mass effect 2) the overall games flow better and the story keeps me more entrench. It is not so much that they have better stories but the presentation is more interesting or better done (sort of like dragon age). I think deus hr story is ok but the way it is presented puts me to sleep :)

THATS IT!!! Playing it tonight! Shelving Morrowind and getting with the program!

EDIT: Should I complete my (80% or so way though) of Deus Ex original?

Absolutely fantastic game. Just make sure you set difficulty at "Give Me Deus Ex" and turn off all the handholding options in the gameplay options menu.

How are you guys getting so much play time out of this game? I just finished it, and my play time in Steam was 18 hours. It was a fantastic 18 hours, but I expected it to be longer. I did every side quest made available to me, but there didn't seem to be all that many (15 or so?). All the ones I did seemed like they were just handed to me (vs. say Skyrim, where random conversations, books, ect. can trigger quests). Was I missing a way to gather more quests? Even while following the story, I explored pretty much everything I could. Aside from hacking every computer, I'm not sure what I missed, or how I finished it so much quicker than everyone else?

I only got 15 hours out of it. It was reasonably enjoyable but it felt kind of flat in many aspects.

How are you guys getting so much play time out of this game? I just finished it, and my play time in Steam was 18 hours. It was a fantastic 18 hours, but I expected it to be longer. I did every side quest made available to me, but there didn't seem to be all that many (15 or so?). All the ones I did seemed like they were just handed to me (vs. say Skyrim, where random conversations, books, ect. can trigger quests). Was I missing a way to gather more quests? Even while following the story, I explored pretty much everything I could. Aside from hacking every computer, I'm not sure what I missed, or how I finished it so much quicker than everyone else?

I think I played the game for around 40 hours for my first play-through but it was mostly because I wanted to be non-lethal and use stealth. What that essentially means (in honesty) is a lot of reloads. For this particular game, playstyle will dictate how long it takes. I've played it again in a more brute force like way, and if you go through just killing everyone the game is significantly shorter... even if you're sniping and lining up shots for all your kills the play time is way shorter being lethal and not worrying about setting off alarms or getting "ghost" for each section.

Last edited:
I'm eager to see news of more content soon. I'm itching for it!

I think I played the game for around 40 hours for my first play-through but it was mostly because I wanted to be non-lethal and use stealth. What that essentially means (in honestly) is a lot of reloads. For this particular game, playstyle will dictate how long it takes. I've played it again in a more brute force like way, and if you go through just killing everyone the game is significantly shorter... even if you're sniping and lining up shots for all your kills the play time is way shorter being lethal and not worrying about setting off alarms or getting "ghost" for each section.

I guess I played it in the middle. I sort of approached it like a Metal Gear game. I used stealth where possible, but if I got detected I usually said fuck it and just killed everyone.

I wondered how my roommate was progressing so fucking quickly, and the answer was that he had all the hand-holding stuff QB-Z mentioned left on. Object highlighting and quest markers are the ones i'm really talking about. If you don't have to look for anything, you can just breeze through it with those options on.

Yeah, Deus Ex is my favorite game of the year. It was like a great action action/thriller movie with a great plot and storyline with a great deal of immersion. It actually elicited a great deal of emotional response from me while playing and I felt like I had some control over the events and what was taking place in the game world. For example, in Hengsha where I am informed that there are some scum forcing prostitutes into augmentation surgery I felt a sense of injustice and wanted to help, which I did. I am yet to play it again, but surely will in the future.

I guess I played it in the middle. I sort of approached it like a Metal Gear game. I used stealth where possible, but if I got detected I usually said fuck it and just killed everyone.

This I think the best way to play the game, and I think probably how the devs envisioned people try.

Unfortunately tried a stealth only approach with rather "liberal" quick loading for my first playthrough.

This I think the best way to play the game, and I think probably how the devs envisioned people try.

Unfortunately tried a stealth only approach with rather "liberal" quick loading for my first playthrough.
I tried playing stealth...then I got to the first warehouse, and said "fuck it, kill on sight" :p

I tried playing stealth...then I got to the first warehouse, and said "fuck it, kill on sight" :p

Haha...I had to be extremely patient because I have somewhat hoarder type mentality as well and so never used the energy items and waited for the recharge, since I also wanted to knock everyone out not just sneak by them. I had something like 60+ (maybe more) energy units of just the bars and pack of bars at the end of the game.

I did go ballistic and shoot everyone on a few occasions to let off some frustration but than reloaded :p

Haha...I had to be extremely patient because I have somewhat hoarder type mentality as well and so never used the energy items and waited for the recharge, since I also wanted to knock everyone out not just sneak by them. I had something like 60+ (maybe more) energy units of just the bars and pack of bars at the end of the game.

I did go ballistic and shoot everyone on a few occasions to let off some frustration but than reloaded :p
Oh, I didn't use much energy at all. I might have knocked down a few people here and there, but I found the upgraded pistol to be the best weapon available. And the grenade launcher was extremely fun :p That was pretty much all I needed for the second half of the game. That, and EMP nades. :cool:

10mm pistol upgraded is tits. I liked the revolver, too, but not as versatile.

Really it has been a staple of the series. Both DX and DXIW you could just stick with a silenced pistol throughout for anything except bots. Always has been the most versatile weapon.

Although for my DXHR first play through, where I actually went stealth/nonlethal, I carried a AR with me the entire instead. The tracking bullets mod mainly was neat to use, but also had practical applications for the 3rd boss, just used a wall for cover and blind fired while he kept jumping back and forth between each side. Used that and grenades for boss fights/bots. The EMP grenade for instance 1 hits the military bots, while the RPG takes multiple hits. Rest of the inventory was just energy items lol...

The revolver let you upgrade to incendiary ammo which was a hoot and very destructive.

There's no question the silenced and fully tricked out 10mm pistol is absurdly overpowered.

I wondered how my roommate was progressing so fucking quickly, and the answer was that he had all the hand-holding stuff QB-Z mentioned left on. Object highlighting and quest markers are the ones i'm really talking about. If you don't have to look for anything, you can just breeze through it with those options on.

Object highlighting I turned off ASAP, that shit was suuuuuper annoying. Quest markers I left on, but only because I feel like the game world, and map, were poorly designed. I had a hard time finding some shit even with markers on. Skyrim, for example, I don't use them. I don't need to, because the entire world is very well mapped. If there is one thing I wish they did better in Dues Ex, it would be that.

Back