My system hates my processor. Who can help me find out why?

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Long story short, my computer self destructed a few weeks back. Not sure what happened but I woke up one morning to a motherboard with char marks and a dead PSU. So, I replaced the PSU and RMAed the motherboard. I got my motherboard back a little while ago, only to find that it wouldn't post. I replaced the CPU that was in it (Phenom II 550) with an old CPU I have, an Athlon X@, and the system worked fine. I assumed the CPU got fried as well when my motherboard went out, so I explained the situation to AMD and they allowed me to RMA the processor. Today, I got back what appears to be a brand new retail unit. I popped it into the system and got the exact same thing as before, the system will not post. I put the Athlon in again, and sure enough it worked. Just to be safe, I updated to the latest BIOS on the motherboard and tried again. Still no luck with the Phenom. I don't get it. I was using this same motherboard and CPU together before without problems. After getting replacements for both in an RMA, the two don't work together. Since the system works with the Athlon, all components must be functional. Is it really possible that I got a brand-new DOA processor doing the exact same thing as my last one, or am I overlooking something?

What motherboard is it? And which Athlon is it? And did AMD send you a new Phenom II 550 BE? Some more details would be helpful.

It is possible that the new processor is DOA, but you should really try it out in another motherboard. I'm assuming if you had one, you would have already done this. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head -- depending on which motherboard -- the motherboard is trying to unlock dormant cores on the new Phenom II, some of which are causing it not to post. Without more details, I suggest putting the Athlon in and checking the BIOS. Turn off ACC, and what ever the motherboard manufacturer calls it's core unlocking. If you're using a Athlon II X2, then it only has two cores. The Phenom II 550 could have an additional 2 cores that could be unlocked, but they could be unstable and causing the system to not boot. Without more information, that's the only suggestion I can think of. My 550 BE has one stable core, and one unstable core. If your motherboard is trying to unlock the cores automatically, and its not working, this could be a possible explanation.

Last edited:
I'd run a memtest, maybe the ram is faulty and the new processor doesn't like it.

What motherboard is it? And which Athlon is it? And did AMD send you a new Phenom II 550 BE? Some more details would be helpful.

Motherboard is a MSI 785GT-E63. Other processor is a 5000+. The new processor is a 550BE as well.

It is possible that the new processor is DOA, but you should really try it out in another motherboard. I'm assuming if you had one, you would have already done this. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head -- depending on which motherboard -- the motherboard is trying to unlock dormant cores on the new Phenom II, some of which are causing it not to post. Without more details, I suggest putting the Athlon in and checking the BIOS. Turn off ACC, and what ever the motherboard manufacturer calls it's core unlocking. If you're using a Athlon II X2, then it only has two cores. The Phenom II 550 could have an additional 2 cores that could be unlocked, but they could be unstable and causing the system to not boot. Without more information, that's the only suggestion I can think of. My 550 BE has one stable core, and one unstable core. If your motherboard is trying to unlock the cores automatically, and its not working, this could be a possible explanation.

BIOS has been reset, and by default does not unlock cores (remember, I did use this exact combo before the melt down w/o issues)

I'd run a memtest, maybe the ram is faulty and the new processor doesn't like it.

Ram should be good. I have two different sets of DDR2, tried both sets paired and one stick at a time, no combination works... and both sets of ram with fine with the 5000+

Hmmm..... I'm intrigued now. And there is not another motherboard handy to test the new 550BE in? I went to MSI's website to find the manual for the board, but I didn't see the variant GT-E63. So I'm gonna look at some other 785s. Can you put it in the GA-890GPA?

Hmmm..... I'm intrigued now. And there is not another motherboard handy to test the new 550BE in? I went to MSI's website to find the manual for the board, but I didn't see the variant GT-E63. So I'm gonna look at some other 785s. Can you put it in the GA-890GPA?

Yeah, I can try it there... just a pain. I am going to attempt that over the weekend if I don't get anywhere.

Testing the processor in another known good board will, at least, resolve the condition of the new 550BE. I think it is highly unlikely that the cpu is bad from AMD... but it is possible. Keep us updated. I keep a Sempron 140 around just to test AMD motherboards. I use scythe shuriken coolers (or the stock amd ones) so its easy for me to switch processors around. If you have a crazy tower cooler that weighs 2 lbs (or, say a H50)... then that could be a pain in the ass. Better yet, just go steal somebody's mobo.

Keep us posted.

did you reset your bios after you updated?

short the pins and pull the battery if you didn't.

if you did, I got nothing.

did you reset your bios after you updated?

short the pins and pull the battery if you didn't.

if you did, I got nothing.

yeah, I did.

as it were, there is no BIOS for this board that doesn't support this processor, so it shouldn't be a BIOS issue anyways.

I'm going to throw this processor in my Gigabyte board this weekend, and try the 1090T in the MSI board. Should at least rule out who the culprit is.

Will the 1090 work in the MSI (with a BIOS upgrade)?
If the 550 works in the Gigabyte and the 1090 in the MSI then my mind will be blown... but the chances of any new processor being DOA are really pretty small. If the 550 is indeed not proper, I will be let down.

I really, really want to know why this is happening.

Last edited:
Just curious, did you try double checking your wiring to the board, maybe the board isn't getting enough juice for the 550be vs the x2 5000? Also is this the x2 5000 that's the quad core phenom 2 derivative or is it the old school x2 5000? I think that the best explanation if its the old one would be the bios just not recognizing the processor. am3 vs am2

You can check your bios version with a program like cpuz from cpuid.com, but it looks like there is a s.5 version here http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1884
just my 2c.

Did a processor swap... the 550BE works just fine in my Gigabyte board. The MSI board would not post with the 1090T. This board does not seem to like Phenom II's. BIOS is almost irrelevant at this point as the 550BE is listed as compatible with the earliest available BIOS. The PSU is a 500W... its a crappy apevia that came with my case... its an awful PSU I know but it had been running for months rock solid, and in this system i've got one HDD and onboard everything... so its not as if im taxing the PSU.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that the 1090t doesn't work. I can't find that particular board on the MSI support page. There are several 785s, but not the model you're using. While it probably isn't the power supply (you could test that with another one obviously) it could be the memory. Can you try the DDR2 from the server listed in your tag?

I'm not surprised that the 1090t doesn't work. I can't find that particular board on the MSI support page. There are several 785s, but not the model you're using. While it probably isn't the power supply (you could test that with another one obviously) it could be the memory. Can you try the DDR2 from the server listed in your tag?

Here is the board in MSI's website: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1884.. the S.5 BIOS added six core support.

As far as memory goes, I've already tested it with my other set of DDR2. Made no difference. I am convinced it is an issue with the motherboard.

The only thing that makes sense to me (at least until you test the processor with your Gigabyte board) is that you received a bad processor. If the motherboard flashed the new BIOS update for 6 cores correctly then the problem shouldn't be in the motherboard, AFAIK.

Good luck.

The only thing that makes sense to me (at least until you test the processor with your Gigabyte board) is that you received a bad processor. If the motherboard flashed the new BIOS update for 6 cores correctly then the problem shouldn't be in the motherboard, AFAIK.

Good luck.

See a few posts up. The processor works fine in the Gigabyte board, and the 1090T will not work in the MSI board.

Wow. I'm rapidly running out of conceivable fixes short of flashing it with an older BIOS (which is probably a long shot at best). I can't think of any reason that the board would function normally but not work with 550. All BIOSs should support that processor if nothing else. I would try flashing it with an older BIOS.

Theoretically, it could be some sort of voltage issue, CnQ, or C1E. At least the last two of those should work enough to get you in the BIOS.

Maybe someone else has something constructive to add.

RMA The Board again? maybe its something to do with the L3 cache handling issue , on motherboard? swinging wildly here, and probably not helping, but i thought i would throw that out there.

Last edited:
RMA The Board again? maybe its something to do with the L3 cache handling issue , on motherboard? swinging wildly here, and probably not helping, but i thought i would throw that out there.

May have to :mad:

Waiting to hear back from MSI right now

Processors are made with alien technology and are impervious to damage by merely earthly instruments. Even if lightning hit your computer and fried it, the CPU would survive. All your processor* are good. Yeah, I know you hear stories about dead CPUs, but we live in a world full of myth and legend, and bad diagnosis or bent pins.

It seems as if the cpu is faulty. Without having the pc in front of me, I would easily point at the cpu. It may have heat problems. You need to get a free cpu from amd.

It seems as if the cpu is faulty. Without having the pc in front of me, I would easily point at the cpu. It may have heat problems. You need to get a free cpu from amd.

he has already gone through one RMA..... chances are slim it is another bad processor.....best chance is mobo in this case......wait for MSI's response

Soooo MSI is trying to tell me that I am using incompatible processors. They must think I am an idiot...

I think you have the wrong bios for your 1090T.MSI shows 7551vS0.zip for the 550.The 1090T you have to use version 7551vS4.

I think you have the wrong bios for your 1090T.MSI shows 7551vS0.zip for the 550.The 1090T you have to use version 7551vS4.

I have the S5 BIOS flashed, which is the latest. It should support both CPU's I am trying to use without issue.

The only thing I can say is you got a ghost in your system. You have tried everything and it still seems to go crazy on you.

Long story short, my computer self destructed a few weeks back. Not sure what happened but I woke up one morning to a motherboard with char marks and a dead PSU. So, I replaced the PSU and RMAed the motherboard. I got my motherboard back a little while ago, only to find that it wouldn't post. I replaced the CPU that was in it (Phenom II 550) with an old CPU I have, an Athlon X@, and the system worked fine. I assumed the CPU got fried as well when my motherboard went out, so I explained the situation to AMD and they allowed me to RMA the processor. Today, I got back what appears to be a brand new retail unit. I popped it into the system and got the exact same thing as before, the system will not post. I put the Athlon in again, and sure enough it worked. Just to be safe, I updated to the latest BIOS on the motherboard and tried again. Still no luck with the Phenom. I don't get it. I was using this same motherboard and CPU together before without problems. After getting replacements for both in an RMA, the two don't work together. Since the system works with the Athlon, all components must be functional. Is it really possible that I got a brand-new DOA processor doing the exact same thing as my last one, or am I overlooking something?
'
I guess I'm confused. Here you say you replaced the PSU and MSI motherboard, and it appears that you're talking about this system in your signature: HTPC: AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE | MSI 785GT-E63 | 2x2GB OCZ Fatal1ty 800mhz | Apevia HTPC w/ 500w PSU

Did a processor swap... the 550BE works just fine in my Gigabyte board. The MSI board would not post with the 1090T. This board does not seem to like Phenom II's. BIOS is almost irrelevant at this point as the 550BE is listed as compatible with the earliest available BIOS. The PSU is a 500W... its a crappy apevia that came with my case... its an awful PSU I know but it had been running for months rock solid, and in this system i've got one HDD and onboard everything... so its not as if im taxing the PSU.
Then you talk about the crappy Apevia power supply. Have you tried the MSI board and 550BE with a good power supply?

The Athlon you're running in that board with that PSU pulls less power than any Phenom. You're probably smashing into the current limitation of the PSU. Try a PSU that's closer to Randy Orton than to Doink the Clown.

The Athlon you're running in that board with that PSU pulls less power than any Phenom. You're probably smashing into the current limitation of the PSU. Try a PSU that's closer to Randy Orton than to Doink the Clown.

That's what I would recommend, too. It's probably the new CPU draws too much wattage and your PSU can't provide enough power for your system. Try a bugger wattage PSU with plenty of AMPs for the 12V rail and see what happens.

So.. I RMAed the motherboard, got a new one, and FFS it doesn't post still.

For everyone talking PSU, I swapped in an OCZ SteathXtreme 500W. I have a hard time believe this would be an insufficient PSU in this scenario.

Ive tried the board plus the athlon, posts fine. The board with either phenom II, will not post. Ive tried three seperate sets of good DDR2, in pretty much every possible combination. Ive tried two power supplies. Ive tried with onboard, and with a video card, using VGA, HDMI, and DVI. Even tried two monitors. This fucking thing just will not post with a phenom processor. I know my processors are good, I've used them both in the gigabyte board flawlessly. This motherboard should work out of the box with the 550, regardless of BIOS... so that shouldn't be a factor no matter what. I don't get it. I even threw in a speaker, no abnormal beeps. After a few seconds, I get one single beep, the one it would make as if it were posting normally. But no actual post.

Am I missing something here? Every single component has tested good when used with another component... but when used together, it wont work. I'm stumped. I don't even know what component to suspect at this point.

so, did you update the BIOS, regardless of weather it should see it stock, do you have the most updated bios ?

the PSU is also not the best, but for your case it should be fine.......but it may be going bad.....though you say it posts with Athlon not phenom (same PSU and everything else right?)

so, did you update the BIOS, regardless of weather it should see it stock, do you have the most updated bios ?

the PSU is also not the best, but for your case it should be fine.......but it may be going bad.....though you say it posts with Athlon not phenom (same PSU and everything else right?)

Yes, BIOS is latest. Posts with the Athon, but neither Phenom. I have no reason to believe this power supply is going bad. It should be more than enough to at least get the system to post.

if it posts with the athlon its not the psu, both processor's use the same amount of power.

seeing how its an htpc i'm guessing you are using the onboard video, correct? if so try throwing a dedicated card in there and see what happens instead of using the onboard. its a shot in the dark but who knows maybe it will shed some light on the issue.

if it posts with the athlon its not the psu, both processor's use the same amount of power.

seeing how its an htpc i'm guessing you are using the onboard video, correct? if so try throwing a dedicated card in there and see what happens instead of using the onboard. its a shot in the dark but who knows maybe it will shed some light on the issue.

Tried this. It posts fine with onboard with the athlon. With the phenom, I tried onboard and a 9600GT. No go on either.

Sounds like a motherboard current limit issue or a false CPU ID issue.

Either way its a motherboard issue that probably will not be able to be easily solved without a solution from the motherboard manufacturer.

So here's what you will need to do in order to try to get this unit working.

Try to get into the Bios with the Phemon Processor installed. If you can do that...you can tweak from there.

You will need 4 sticks of compatible memory, at least two different brands or types hopefully one of those is a known JEDEC compatible when installed PnP at default voltage.

Pull everything out of the computer....use a known powerful verified good power supply.

Install one stick of memory into the computer and a PCI video card if you have one. If you don't use the lowest power video card you currently own.

Try to get into the BIOS.

If that doesn't work try all the slots....change to a different stick of memory.....try again.

Try with different BIOS's, even Beta Bios's if you can.

I've had issues before where a manufacturer claims XYZ works in their motherboard and IRL it doesn't months later they release an update and XYZ finally works. I 've seen the same thing happen and end up with shakey reliability for months until the issue is fixed. The origional ASUS Rampage board is a perfect example. We couldn t get DDR 1066 working correctly for almost a year. Certain CPU's couldn t overclock well. Eventually the issue was fixed but if you here what I am saying, it happens.

Good Luck,

Mackintire

If it were me I'd just sell the MSI board and get another motherboard. My patience isn't good enough to keep messing with the MSI board after all you've went through.

If it were me I'd just sell the MSI board and get another motherboard. My patience isn't good enough to keep messing with the MSI board after all you've went through.

I'm about ready to do this. The part that really bothers me though is the original MSI board I had worked awesome (up until it started on fire). I don't know why these replacements refuse to work with all of the exact same hardware.

I'm about ready to do this. The part that really bothers me though is the original MSI board I had worked awesome (up until it started on fire). I don't know why these replacements refuse to work with all of the exact same hardware.

I know what you mean. I just went through something similar recently with my son's computer. Damn thing about drove me crazy.

Back