My speakers died and I need help routing my sound through my monitor's speakers

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
- My speakers broke.

-I can't afford to replace them, but my monitor happens to have built-in speakers so i'd like to use those for the time being.

-If I unplug my speakers, my sound stops working and dosen't come out of my monitor speakers?

-Looking at the Windows 7 audio manager panel that the audio-over-DVI connection says isn't connected (it's greyed-out), and i'm not getting any sound.

-I attempted to fix this by using a HDMI cable instead of a DVI, but when I do that I can no longer select 144 hertz for my monitor.

What should I try?

Last edited:
Does the monitor at least have a 3.5mm input jack?

If so, then hit up a dollar store and get a 99 cent 3.5mm stereo cable.

I think audio over DVI only works if you have a DVI to HDMI cable, which would also not run 144hz. Every monitor I have had with speakers has had a 3.5mm audio jack and used a 3.5mm stereo cable like DTN107 mentioned. Both of my monitors with speakers came with the cable.

I think audio over DVI only works if you have a DVI to HDMI cable, which would also not run 144hz. Every monitor I have had with speakers has had a 3.5mm audio jack and used a 3.5mm stereo cable like DTN107 mentioned. Both of my monitors with speakers came with the cable.

I am certain that this isn't true. My last 4 PCs all were setup using Audio-over-DVI with a standard DVI to DVI cable and I never had a single problem with it. This is across 3 different AMD cards and 2 different Nvidia cards.

Thanks a lot for the helpful replys everyone! I ended up forking up the money for a displayport cable and that solved my issue. I didn't really want to spend the money on it, but I figure at least now i've got a DP cable for whatever I might need it for in the future.

Sorry I missed the start of this thread, don't know where I was. Anyway, on certain MBs like my old ASUS H97i, audio over DVI has to be ENABLED in the BIOS to work on a DVI-audio monitor. So if I had been here earlier, I would have suggested checking the BIOS setting first. For future reference.

I am certain that this isn't true. My last 4 PCs all were setup using Audio-over-DVI with a standard DVI to DVI cable and I never had a single problem with it. This is across 3 different AMD cards and 2 different Nvidia cards.

Thanks a lot for the helpful replys everyone! I ended up forking up the money for a displayport cable and that solved my issue. I didn't really want to spend the money on it, but I figure at least now i've got a DP cable for whatever I might need it for in the future.

Interesting, when you first posted I started researching because I currently have DVI and a separate audio cable and would love to only have one. Everything I read said it was for DVI to HDMI. Doing a little more research it appears that some devices support DVI to DVI audio but it mentions the display having an internal DVI to HDMI adapter. The whole audio over DVI thing is not part of the DVI standard so getting it to work is not always easy.

Back