My SP35P2 Build...new pics!

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
After having my SP35P2 running for quite a while now I finally got what I had been waiting for all this time...a high end graphics card to turn this LAN box into a respectable gaming machine.

I'm still gonna be working on getting some benchmarks done but in all fairness I've been a little busy enjoying a few games lately. ;)

I took a few pics tonight and even though my camera sucks a$$ I think that i still managed to capture some of the best parts of how I've improved on Shuttles wiring and managed to switch out both the ICE fans and add a 2xMolex to 6pin adapter for the HD4870 without increasing wire clutter.

Here's what I've got for now, benchies to come tomorrow, and possibly more of an overclock on the Q6600 and a bit of a speed bump on the card. Next move is swapping out the Q6600 for a Q9450 but until then this'll have to do. :D

The view from my chair, new desk is smaller but actually looks like a piece of furniture and fits into the dining room area nicely:
01deskviewep1.jpg

An angle shot of the shuttle from my chair with a glimpse of the HD4870 peeking out from inside the case :p :
02chairangleshotcu0.jpg

A look at the top of the system with the case panels removed, after a revised wiring job:
06topviewaftercleanupqj9.jpg

The right side of the system with the HD4870 installed, notice the molex-6pin adapter "woven" into Shuttles existing wiring, I'm quite proud of how this turned out:
07rightsideaftercleanupms6.jpg

A view from/through the left side of the system, showing off the general lack of clutter and the intake on the HD4870...a helpful exhaust fan in these cramped quarters. Pay no mind to the white twist tie stretched out in this pic...just a part of my ghetto mounting involved in fitting an 80mm fan in place of Shuttles 70mm fan on the ICE cooler:
08leftsideaftercleanupwn4.jpg

There you have it, hope I haven't bored anybody. There are mods planned for the system still if I can find the time to get anything done but for now I at least wanted to get this thread started...as it'll be where any/all updates and pics will be posted in the future.

Here we go...got some benchmark runs done...everything is displayed in the screenshots, but the Q6600 was at 3GHz and the HD4870 at stock clocks the whole time:

3DMark2001: 44,286

3DMark03: 49,246

3DMark05: 19,320

3DMark06: 14,374

3DMark Vantage (default "Performance" settings): 8,359

I may yet push the system a little farther or turn up the HD4870's fan and get it up closer to 800/1,000 but for now I'm happy with it, just can't wait to get my internal watercooling loop built for it. :D :cool:

I sold my cuz the crazy noise generated by the psu:( this thing is so noisy

I sold my cuz the crazy noise generated by the psu

Was it an SP35P2 or an older XPC? A lot of Shuttle's older barebone systems were much more notorious for noisy PSU fans, but not quite as much recently. I have seen a few cases of it though and I'm lucky that mine is still goin' strong just as quiet as ever.

that shits not easily replaceable?

That'd be the biggest downfall to Shuttle systems in my opinion, the fact that the PSU and mobo are proprietary means that you HAVE to go through them for a new one. A buddy of mine got a quote on a new mobo for his Shuttle that's less then 2 years old and it was maybe $100 short of a whole new XPC.

One of the reasons why I'm gonna be slowly piecing together a tower based system again very soon.

nice hows that quad running in there? HOTTT?

Considering the cramped space and HD4870 in the case it's not bad...under 100% load across all 4 cores I don't hit any higher then 57c @ 3GHz /w 1.2v or so. Could be a lot better but the system itself isn't the most solid overclocking machine to begin with and can be a pain to fight with if you push it to far so I'm just leaving things as is so i can focus on my next build.

I have been very pleased with this system though, and if I hadn't just build a watercooled Antec 1200 system for someone and got bit by the watercooling bug again I'd probably hang onto the Shuttle for awhile longer.

It's all good though, the rig that I build in the next few months for my fiance (so we're not sharing a system) is gonna be a Shuttle so I'll still have one around. :D

Just wanted to post in here saying that any new pics of the Shuttle are going to be posted in my new company worklog thread here.

Back