My SN45G Polished and Tinted Out

Love-Man

Limp Gawd
What do you guys think? :)

-Modified Lian-Li CD-Rom and floppy bezels (work perfectly)
-Car window tint behind front acrylic
-Aluminum cover and bezels sanded and polished

I know polishing Shuttles is nothing new, but I just wanted to do my own take on it. Nothing flashy, just simple and clean.

The front bezels need some more sanding done, but besides that I'd really like to get some suggestions and comments.

Sorry about the quality of the pics. My friend's good digital camera died :p

MyCompypic1.jpg

My monkey's butt proving the mirror surface :)

MyCompypic2.jpg

This is probably the best shot.

MyCompypic3.jpg

MyCompypic4.jpg

The mess that is my computer desk.

Again, any comments or suggestions welcomed.

wow, that looks awesome. i think you should do mine for me :)

how do you get that polished look? it looks awesome, i want it :D

awesome. thanks, i think i might do that to the side and top panels of my sb51g :)

awesome work on yours, i hope mine turns out as nice :)

that junk metku recommended is a pain in the ass to use...........and it doesn't buff and shine as easy as you think.

Wow thats pretty awesome. Slick.

Qtip42 said:
that junk metku recommended is a pain in the ass to use...........and it doesn't buff and shine as easy as you think.

Then how else can you get that look?

9mmx19 said:
Then how else can you get that look?

2 ways:

#1 - (wet) sand paper + lots of time + lots of elbow grease + clearcoat = shiney

#2 - bring it somewhere to get professionally chromed.... looks nice, but you have to PAY for it. - call a BLING BLING tire place and get a quote.

I think I'm going to get a shuttle case and have it coated in 24k gold (or platinum) and use diamonds for buttons. please MTV Pimp my PC.

chrisf6969 said:
2 ways:

#1 - (wet) sand paper + lots of time + lots of elbow grease + clearcoat = shiney

#2 - bring it somewhere to get professionally chromed.... looks nice, but you have to PAY for it. - call a BLING BLING tire place and get a quote.

I think I'm going to get a shuttle case and have it coated in 24k gold (or platinum) and use diamonds for buttons. please MTV Pimp my PC.
1. Won't look as good as a good polish.
2. Will look better, cost more, and can flake. Polished can be fixed.

As a professional chrome plater, I will add that any shop worth your money should not have any peeling/blistering/flaking. Plating on plastic (POP) is expensive and requires a clean room. Plating on steel is a whole lot easier and cheaper. And aluminum is somewhere in between, probably closer to the plastic price.
And the only reason that I haven't chromed my PC yet is because I can't live without it for the couple of days needed to strip the paint, sand, polish, buff, and plate the parts. And I really haven't considered removing my components and replacing them in my time estimate, either. sux to have a full tower case, eh?

Looks sweet bro, nice & clean. Extra points for the Army of Darkness poster too :)

One more thing on plating versus polishing. Yes, you can correct bad polishing, more or less. And you will need it too. A polished surface has no corrosion resistance, or very little I should say. It will tend to tarnish over time, especially aluminum and steel. Plating provides corrosion resistance by way of the primary nickel layer and scratch resistance via the chrome. And if you really want a unique case, plating shops can also plate precious metals like copper (realtively cheap), silver (more expensive), gold (24k, very expensive), and even platinum (think US$10,000). Or they might be able to do antique finishes and powder coating.

titan97 said:
One more thing on plating versus polishing. Yes, you can correct bad polishing, more or less. And you will need it too. A polished surface has no corrosion resistance, or very little I should say. It will tend to tarnish over time, especially aluminum and steel. Plating provides corrosion resistance by way of the primary nickel layer and scratch resistance via the chrome. And if you really want a unique case, plating shops can also plate precious metals like copper (realtively cheap), silver (more expensive), gold (24k, very expensive), and even platinum (think US$10,000). Or they might be able to do antique finishes and powder coating.

don't clearcotes offer acceptable corrosion protection

titan97 said:
Plating provides corrosion resistance by way of the primary nickel layer and scratch resistance via the chrome. And if you really want a unique case, plating shops can also plate precious metals like copper (realtively cheap), silver (more expensive), gold (24k, very expensive), and even platinum (think US$10,000). Or they might be able to do antique finishes and powder coating.

Just as a ball park figure....what does plating cost?

regarding clear coats:
Yes, clear coating, or most "coatings" will help imporve corrosion resistance. It just depends on the type of coating. Epoxy type powder coatings work great and are used on most door hardware and kitchen/bathroom fixtures. And you can get the (epoxy) powder in just about every imaginable color. My shop here does gloss red, gloss white, appliance white, gloss biscuit, gloss black, matte oil-rubbed-bronze, and gloss clear. And you can get pretty good corrosion resistance from other coatings as well, like paint. However, clear coating tend to break down faster in strong sunlight (damn UV rays!). So try to keep your fluorescent lighting away from your clearcoated case. Lights like blacklights and such give off a lot of high frequency light that can damage and discolor some clearcoats.

regarding plating costs:
I don't have a clue. I work in a big production shop in Tijuana although I live in San Diego, CA. The owner of the company does the wheeling and dealing, I just manage the finishing of the parts once we get the contract. However, I estimate that it will take about 2 to 3 hours for my guys to polish a case and plate it/powder coat it. So we are probably looking at between US$20 and UD$50. And considering that we would be doing the work after hours, I think my guys need some beer after working on your case, right?

Take a look at TouchFlo to see the work my company does internally. Our biggest customers are Sears and Culligan Water. We also do work for Black & Decker (Kwikset and Weiser divisions). My last company (American Faucet) did a lot of work for Titleist (specifically Scotty Cameron putters).

EDIT: grammar and spelling

Back